Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.65 - 291votes)

Vagabond

Alt Names: alt Avarealt バガボンドalt 베가본드alt Lãng Kháchalt 浪客行alt المتشرد
Author: Yoshikawa Eiji & Inoue Takehiko
Artist: Inoue Takehiko
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalMartial Arts Martial ArtsPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Shinmen Takezo is destined to become the legendary sword-saint, Miyamoto Musashi--perhaps the most renowned samurai of all time. For now, Takezo is a cold-hearted killer, who will take on anyone in mortal combat to make a name for himself. This is the journey of a wild young brute who strives to reach enlightenment by way of the sword--fighting on the edge of death.

Won the 4th Japan Media Arts Award Grand Prize in the Manga division.
Won the 24th Kodansha Manga Award for Best General Manga.
Won the 6th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Award Grand Prize.

============Notice================
Unfortunatly parts of the comic were scanlated by groups that don't allow rehosting.
Also, some of the chapters available are direct scans from the English publication which are not allowed on Batoto.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
==========Notice End==============
Go to Vagabond Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Vagabond will resume March 15 New Window Proxy
  • 5 Replies
Topic Farm Land Saga Anyone? New Window Kalladin
  • 8 Replies
Topic Vagabond approaching the finish line New Window alphaz95
  • 3 Replies
Topic The wait will finally be over *dot *dot *dot New Window bumblebee310
  • 1 Replies

181 Comments

Isaac Newton developed his theories about the law a gravity while he was at a farm.

Lots of valid arguments below on the merits of this arc.

I still just don't like it though.

I don't get bored, I actually wish more manga were like this. I could list a ton where the repetitive fighting scenes (which I tend to skip, but sometimes there's nothing else) made me cancel reading.

First Farmland Saga, then it's Farming Master Musashi... Now, we just have to wait for Guts to start replacing his giant sword with a rake and the bloody badasses-turned-farmers trinity will be complete.

Guts is still in the middle of his struggle, I certainly wouldn't mind if he could end up living happily in a farm with Casca after all the madness he is going through is past, to think things calmly and put his demons to rest.

Isn't a farm, a place where hard work and a certain understanding of the world is turned into life and livelihood an appropriate place  to do some thinking about the value of life and what you're doing with it for someone who dedicated his efforts both physical and mental to the task of killing?

First Farmland Saga, then it's Farming Master Musashi... Now, we just have to wait for Guts to start replacing his giant sword with a rake and the bloody badasses-turned-farmers trinity will be complete.

Master swordsman soon to become a master farmsman

aww yeah 

There are movies that are simply entertainment, there is music that is simply something to dance to, there are painting that are simply decoration, and then there are artworks. Paintings don't HAVE to be pretty, music doesn't HAVE to be catchy, movies don't HAVE to be heart pumping, they can be much more than that. This manga is telling a story, a story about a person and his development, in which there are times of violence, times of human interaction, times of contemplation and reflexion, all of which are part and reason for his development. If you remove entire aspects of the manga because they don't entertain you then you are limiting it to that, entertainment; learn to appreciate it as a whole and you will experience the work of art that the author intended.

oh no! he ate his dirt

Ah! yeah, heard about Miura's infamous breaks. I feel you man, I've been meaning to read Berserk for a while now actually. The infamous update rate has been the main deterring aspect for me, I fear the day I would catch up to the series and find myself in your current position.

That said I do hope for you that nothing bad will happen to him before he gets to complete his work, that would suck. There's this Seinen I liked quite a lot, called: ''Confidential Assassination Troop'', honestly a great manga, which the author placed on hiatus and then didn't finish for no apparent reason. Frankly I am not willing to go through that kind of pain again, haha. I will most likely start reading Berserk when it nears completion. Which is in like -- what, ten years from now I presume? lol

I think my daughter would graduate from college before Berserk ever finishes......sigh. Yeah you'll regret reading it because you'll be wanting more updates when you get hooked. Some mangas are like drugs lol. 

Lol, if it's any consolation I love Berserk and the slow updates are driving me mad! 

Ah! yeah, heard about Miura's infamous breaks. I feel you man, I've been meaning to read Berserk for a while now actually. The infamous update rate has been the main deterring aspect for me, I fear the day I would catch up to the series and find myself in your current position.

That said I do hope for you that nothing bad will happen to him before he gets to complete his work, that would suck. There's this Seinen I liked quite a lot, called: ''Confidential Assassination Troop'', honestly a great manga, which the author placed on hiatus and then didn't finish for no apparent reason. Frankly I am not willing to go through that kind of pain again, haha. I will most likely start reading Berserk when it nears completion. Which is in like -- what, ten years from now I presume? lol

The new chapter was a nice change of pace, a considerable improvement form previous chapters imo.
 Man, I hate people like this. You should actually read what I said in my first post instead of spouting nonsense, there is no mention of fights. Learn to accept different viewpoints. It's fine that you don't agree with me, but it's another to mock me for voicing an honest criticism.

Also, I don't know much of anything about bleach. Not that it matters anyway.I've been an avid manga reader for years, guy. Seinen in particular as of late, so I have seen my fair share of slow updates and hiatus. I can make these types of decisions for myself, but thanks.

sigh.

Lol, if it's any consolation I love Berserk and the slow updates are driving me mad! 

Ok first of all, why are you throwing insults at me? I hardly said anything that befits being insulted.
Second, I was voicing my opinion on the matter: "Getting bored of Vagabond because there are no battles". I never mentioned you, quoted what you said or refered to you in any way.
I saw people talking about it and wanted to say what I thought too. I never mentioned your name, quoted you or refered to you in any way, so why did you lash out at me like that?
This is exactly what I meant when I said not to take yourself for more important than you are. The issue or discussion may have had it's origin with one of your posts but that doesn't mean that everyone who's talking about it, is talking to or about you.
I mean your last sentence is proof, isn't it: "Don't make stuff up I didn't say...". Well I wasn't talking about you or what you said so if you still think I am or was talking about you, then I wonder who the harebrained one really is.

Here's a fair word of advice, you need to improve your reading comprehension, and to not get involve in a discussion without getting the full scope of the issue at hand. The person who's word you blindly followed falsely assumed that I was bored of the current arc because there was no battles, despite evidence showing otherwise. So you are perpetuating a false argument, as there's no damn person here that mentioned to be specifically ''bored because there is currently a lack of battles in Vagabond''.

Basically your post is void and disputes something that doesn't even have reason to be. Because it's based on a false and baseless assumption. Given that no one here complained about the lack of battles in the first place.

Oh yeah sure, you just decided to address the issue pertaining to my post for no damn reason. You are harebrained then.

Ok first of all, why are you throwing insults at me? I hardly said anything that befits being insulted.
Second, I was voicing my opinion on the matter: "Getting bored of Vagabond because there are no battles". I never mentioned you, quoted what you said or refered to you in any way.
I saw people talking about it and wanted to say what I thought too. I never mentioned your name, quoted you or refered to you in any way, so why did you lash out at me like that?

This is exactly what I meant when I said not to take yourself for more important than you are. The issue or discussion may have had it's origin with one of your posts but that doesn't mean that everyone who's talking about it, is talking to or about you.
I mean your last sentence is proof, isn't it: "Don't make stuff up I didn't say...". Well I wasn't talking about you or what you said so if you still think I am or was talking about you, then I wonder who the harebrained one really is.

did I mention you with any word? don't take yourself for more important than you are.

Oh yeah sure, you just decided to address the issue pertaining to my post for no damn reason. You are harebrained then.

You fucking imbecile... for the last time. Read my actual post, there is no mention of battles. I mean come on now guys...

As I said before, I had no problem seeing that side of Takezo explored and wholeheartedly welcomed it, I just wished it was written better. Which in my humble opinion wasn't the case, simple as that.

What's with this notion that if you don't like a part of the story, then that automatically means you want to see super-fucking-powers. Are you retarded? I was advocating for a better writing for this crucial moment in Takezo's character, not for damn battles. There has been philosophical approaches before in this manga, and Inoue handled them better in my opinion. That's all I'm saying, there's no need for this fuss. I have been following this fucking manga since 2009, so the criticism is coming from someone who fucking loves this series.

So yes, you don't have to agree with me. But don't make up stuff I didn't say to make yourself look good.

did I mention you with any word? don't take yourself for more important than you are.

if you look for such battles I suggest you look elsewhere. This manga is not only about him getting stronger as a swordsman but also about him growing as a person. The other characters are quite interesting too but you shouldn't forget that this manga is mainly about Miyamoto Musashi and him becoming a swordsaint.

I can see how someone would think this is boring if you get too used to other manga with lots of supernatural power, battles and the like but you don't become a legend by swinging around your sword like a trained monkey.

You fucking imbecile... for the last time. Read my actual post, there is no mention of battles. I mean come on now guys...

As I said before, I had no problem seeing that side of Takezo explored and wholeheartedly welcomed it, I just wished it was written better. Which in my humble opinion wasn't the case, simple as that.

What's with this notion that if you don't like a part of the story, then that automatically means you want to see super-fucking-powers. Are you retarded? I was advocating for a better writing for this crucial moment in Takezo's character, not for damn battles. There has been philosophical approaches before in this manga, and Inoue handled them better in my opinion. That's all I'm saying, there's no need for this fuss. I have been following this fucking manga since 2009, so the criticism is coming from someone who fucking loves this series.

So yes, you don't have to agree with me. But don't make up stuff I didn't say to make yourself look good.

if you look for such battles I suggest you look elsewhere. This manga is not only about him getting stronger as a swordsman but also about him growing as a person. The other characters are quite interesting too but you shouldn't forget that this manga is mainly about Miyamoto Musashi and him becoming a swordsaint.

I can see how someone would think this is boring if you get too used to other manga with lots of supernatural power, battles and the like but you don't become a legend by swinging around your sword like a trained monkey.

The new chapter was a nice change of pace, a considerable improvement form previous chapters imo.

read Bleach: endless ,pointless fights...

Man, I hate people like this. You should actually read what I said in my first post instead of spouting nonsense, there is no mention of fights. Learn to accept different viewpoints. It's fine that you don't agree with me, but it's another to mock me for voicing an honest criticism.

Also, I don't know much of anything about bleach. Not that it matters anyway.

If it bores you too much then just wait for the updates, skip a few chapters until you get to the fights. But the updates take too long so either bear with it or drop it in the meantime. If you are bored too much then this is not the manga for you.

I've been an avid manga reader for years, guy. Seinen in particular as of late, so I have seen my fair share of slow updates and hiatus. I can make these types of decisions for myself, but thanks.

sigh.

nice, even when injured he can kickass. Did he give in to his evil side(whatever that dark stuff is)?

this manga is just EPIC!!!!! i love it

Well, it's fucking boring. I would be a hundred percent with it if the writing in the course of this development was compeling and enticing. Which it isn't.

read Bleach: endless ,pointless fights...

Well, it's fucking boring. I would be a hundred percent with it if the writing in the course of this development was compeling and enticing. Which it isn't.

If it bores you too much then just wait for the updates, skip a few chapters until you get to the fights. But the updates take too long so either bear with it or drop it in the meantime. If you are bored too much then this is not the manga for you. 

This is called development. Not every part of Musashi's life was about fighting. I've read his book and is a fan of his sword style and this manga gives me a little glimpse of what made him into such a legendary swordsman. I for one enjoy these types of chapters as much as the fighting. Musashi is not just a fighter but a philosopher as well and he applied his philosophy to his fighting style. Consider this arc the book of water, since if this is gonna go with his five books you can expect the other elements of fire, earth, wind and finally the book of void. 

@ [user='Frost'] Miyamoto Musashi actually DID write a book about life and tactics and stuff :D It's called "Gorei no Sho". He wasn't just a simple samurai or swordsman :) One of his sayings was: Respect God and Bhudda but don't rely on their assistance (or something along those lines). He was an incredible person.

Yep I also have his book. The people who get bored reading this miss the fact that this was a real person who delved and studied different aspects of living to find his 

Man, maybe it's just me but this arc is boring the hell out of me.

I want to see some of the other characters too, it's been too long.

This is called development. Not every part of Musashi's life was about fighting. I've read his book and is a fan of his sword style and this manga gives me a little glimpse of what made him into such a legendary swordsman. I for one enjoy these types of chapters as much as the fighting. Musashi is not just a fighter but a philosopher as well and he applied his philosophy to his fighting style. Consider this arc the book of water, since if this is gonna go with his five books you can expect the other elements of fire, earth, wind and finally the book of void. 

That was a dick, but humorous move on Miyamoto during his philosophical moments. 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics