Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 173votes)

Chihayafuru

Alt Names: alt ちはやふるalt จิฮายะalt Chihaya Fullalt Chihaya Furualt 花牌情緣alt 치하야후루alt Tutkulu
Author: Suetsugu Yuki
Artist: Suetsugu Yuki
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaJosei JoseiRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Chihaya Ayase is a girl who has spent most of her life simply supporting her sister in her model career. That changes when she meets a boy named Arata Wataya, a talented karuta player. After becoming friends, he believes that Chihaya has potential to become a great player. As Chihaya takes on a new dream of becoming Japan's best karuta player, she is soon separated from her karuta playing friends as they grow up. Now in high school, Chihaya is reunited with her childhood friend, Taichi Mashima. Together, they form the Mizusawa Karuta Club. With her teammates and friends supporting her, Chihaya strives to become the best karuta player in the world and to one day be with Arata again.
Go to Chihayafuru Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Cuándo será traducido los seguientes capitulos al español ? New Window StephanieBR
  • 2 Replies
Topic Current Chapter Discussion / Spoilers New Window BowlOfNoodles
  • 3 Replies

555 Comments

Well, I kinda feel like this sudden development in Chihaya was partially pulled out of nowhere (no foreshadowing at all, though perhaps the whole studying bit in general...) On the flip-side, would never have thought that would wind up being her "Karuta-vision". A math analogy is the last thing I would've expected.

Hasn't it already been explained some of the players can hear the very beginnings of certain sounds?

Well, I kinda feel like this sudden development in Chihaya was partially pulled out of nowhere (no foreshadowing at all, though perhaps the whole studying bit in general...) On the flip-side, would never have thought that would wind up being her "Karuta-vision". A math analogy is the last thing I would've expected.

Eh, it could have been merely explained like it's floating, but who'd understand that? So, she fell back on very basic geometry. I mean, it's not like she quoted an equation, just a the very beginning of 3-D.

Yes, it's not like she practice like every single free time she has or anything nor she had been trying to use better her privileged hearing or honing her aim. 

Well, she's been focusing on asking how others see the cards, so I guess this makes sense? After a certain point practice hits a plateau and you fall back on distinctive talent. It's probably just super-fast/subconscious probability calculation, but how would she practice that? Just telling her that's what it is and her thinking about it would throw it off.

Yes, it's not like she practice like every single free time she has or anything nor she had been trying to use better her privileged hearing or honing her aim. 

Geez, rude much?
Uncultivated in the exact sense I explained in my first comment: Shinobu doesn't lack hard work, but she lacks perseverance to better herself. "Different practicing modes" aside, it's consistently been shown that a solitary practice is short-sighted in comparison to one as a group. Shinobu had mostly closed herself to that; and the way events lead up from there put her at a standstill.
Shinobu had the unique "skill", so to say, to talk to the cards and understand them directly, without any other person's help. But neither Arata, who had defeated her, nor Suo, who's also at the top, have had that. What they have had is people around them who either loved karuta or whose own love supported them. Maybe, even if she could never "hear" the cards again, "listening" to those outside of the cards, like everyone else has, could fill in that empty space. (Not that I don't think she will lose this ability, but I don't think it's necessary for her strength, per se, and it could have even been holding her back).
On a note not related to what you said to me, I don't feel "villain" is a fair term for Shinobu... She's an adversary who must be defeated, but it's not like she's deliberately doing something against Chihaya to keep her from winning. Rather, she's pretty self centered rival.
Several others here, and you and I, will probably have to agree to disagree on this one, but to me, this series is not only about Chihaya's journey with karuta, but about how everyone's own journey with karuta brings them together and helps them grow. That's why it seems reasonable to have Shinobu's struggles be related to karuta as well, since it's part of her life as well (and you could even say that it is bigger to her than to many). There are other things that make her multidimensional, but exposing her own journey with karuta and having it have obstacles as well helps her be a simple person like all the rest, and not just someone who is an idol or demigod the moment she sits in front of the cards.
I do agree Chihaya's victory can't be handed to her, but even if it were, do you think it would be like Chihaya to accept it? I'm pretty sure if Chihaya saw it as a convenient victory, born out of a moment of weakness of Shinobu, she would be disappointed that she didn't win because her effort didn't pay off. Only if she won and accepted it would I call it a writing problem.

I don't know which one to put on...

200.gif. or tumblr_marshyfsCU1rxpcdx.gif ?

The only thing that is certain is that Taichi makes the story much more interesting... 001_50x50_by_alchemlst-d6fpzxq.png

Still not liking Taichi. He's been an ass from the beginning.

Feeling entitled to the girl he bullied. And selfish.

He doesn't even like Karuta. He did it because it allowed him to shine and he stopped when he couldn't get the girl.

I have a feeling that Taichi is gonna be the next Meijin.

I hope so, out of all the characters I feel he's had the most growth relating to Karuta. Chihaya always got her talent and most of her setbacks have been getting sick, feeling down,etc. 

Taichi actually hit that wall and he found a way around it gradually. I want to see him go all the way. Actually my favorite character right now. 

I have a feeling that Taichi is gonna be the next Meijin.
Taichi went over to the dark side D:

Taichi powers up. YES!!!

Only one chapter behind now! nice catch-up! Thanks as always~!

Can't wait for the eventual showdown between Taichi and Arata

It just really is not a queen's tournament until Chihaya screws something up.

She's not uncultivated at all though?! What manga are you even reading?! How is this nonsense comment getting so many likes?! Shinobu practices like crazy. She just has a different practice mode than Chihaya.

As for TheWick'anFlame's comment, it has more of a valid point, but I think "struggles unrelated to Karuta" would be more than sufficient for a non-one-dimensional villain. Such as, you know, the ability to make friends that she doesn't have. She can be a three-dimensional character without ever slipping up *at Karuta*. She's already a 3x consecutive Queen, for god's sake; if she ends up even _arguably_ weaker when fighting Chihaya than when she beat Inokuma, that'll be a huge storytelling problem.

With that said, chapter 178 alleviated my concerns greatly.

You shouldn't be reading "uncultivated" as Shinobu not practicing but as Shinobu declining to receive training from her mentors. Prior to these chapters, it's clear she doesn't see the point of going to see her teacher, which she hadn't seen in years because she's so strong. She's honed her skills, that's true. But that attitude of hers is why he harshly rebuked her when she proclaimed to be the best karuta player. She thought herself as above receiving help from anyone because they're lesser players. And how long can a champion remain a champion with that attitude? Prior to that chapter, Shinobu was walking straight into a defeat against Chihaya in their next matchup. Now, who knows? 

She's not uncultivated at all though?! What manga are you even reading?! How is this nonsense comment getting so many likes?! Shinobu practices like crazy. She just has a different practice mode than Chihaya.

As for TheWick'anFlame's comment, it has more of a valid point, but I think "struggles unrelated to Karuta" would be more than sufficient for a non-one-dimensional villain. Such as, you know, the ability to make friends that she doesn't have. She can be a three-dimensional character without ever slipping up *at Karuta*. She's already a 3x consecutive Queen, for god's sake; if she ends up even _arguably_ weaker when fighting Chihaya than when she beat Inokuma, that'll be a huge storytelling problem.

Geez, rude much?

Uncultivated in the exact sense I explained in my first comment: Shinobu doesn't lack hard work, but she lacks perseverance to better herself. "Different practicing modes" aside, it's consistently been shown that a solitary practice is short-sighted in comparison to one as a group. Shinobu had mostly closed herself to that; and the way events lead up from there put her at a standstill.

Shinobu had the unique "skill", so to say, to talk to the cards and understand them directly, without any other person's help. But neither Arata, who had defeated her, nor Suo, who's also at the top, have had that. What they have had is people around them who either loved karuta or whose own love supported them. Maybe, even if she could never "hear" the cards again, "listening" to those outside of the cards, like everyone else has, could fill in that empty space. (Not that I don't think she will lose this ability, but I don't think it's necessary for her strength, per se, and it could have even been holding her back).

On a note not related to what you said to me, I don't feel "villain" is a fair term for Shinobu... She's an adversary who must be defeated, but it's not like she's deliberately doing something against Chihaya to keep her from winning. Rather, she's pretty self centered rival.

Several others here, and you and I, will probably have to agree to disagree on this one, but to me, this series is not only about Chihaya's journey with karuta, but about how everyone's own journey with karuta brings them together and helps them grow. That's why it seems reasonable to have Shinobu's struggles be related to karuta as well, since it's part of her life as well (and you could even say that it is bigger to her than to many). There are other things that make her multidimensional, but exposing her own journey with karuta and having it have obstacles as well helps her be a simple person like all the rest, and not just someone who is an idol or demigod the moment she sits in front of the cards.

I do agree Chihaya's victory can't be handed to her, but even if it were, do you think it would be like Chihaya to accept it? I'm pretty sure if Chihaya saw it as a convenient victory, born out of a moment of weakness of Shinobu, she would be disappointed that she didn't win because her effort didn't pay off. Only if she won and accepted it would I call it a writing problem.

Thought it may have been a practical joke when a new chapter came out so soon, today of all days...super happy to see it wasn't, and was genuine. And what a rollercoaster (bullet-train?) of a chapter this was. Suou-meijin throwing that shade.

IYA!!!!

I wanted it to be

Spoiler

T_T

Nonetheless, it brings a good end to the arc.

Now MOAR Arata please!

Dammit... Chihaya and Arata were the ones who should've kept Shinobu company, not some grade-schooler... *mumbles*

Anyway... I'm a bit rusty with the Chihaya-Shinobu dynamic at this point, but I kinda wonder why Shinobu never saw the same passion in Chihaya that she saw in Kokoro suddenly. Chihaya (from the readers' perspective) is fairly similar to Shinobu in regards to karuta.

Well, maybe this will let her see Chihaya anew (and make her realize Chihaya is a comrade in karuta...)

The age plays its role, too.

Chihaya is her peer and the challenger. She made Shinobu finally feel like she was not alone, and that the Queen just might get challenged by someone of her age. The thing is, due to the way they discovered each other's existence, Shinobu just couldn't see herself in Chihaya. Intrigued by the way she bounced back in their first bout, yes. Frustrated at getting a few cards snatched from her by injured Chihaya, yes. But she always saw Chihaya as herself, not some kind of mirror image.

Here, though, she's at her weakest, desperately trying to prove the goddamn adult wrong by bringing the goddamn Meijin to the dojo, and boom, comes the kid who expresses what Shinobu longed for when she herself was that age. This is her catharsis, her way of getting back at the geezer and giving the girl she doesn't know anything about help that Shinobu herself was never given. This is also what she desperately wants to see which just helps superimposing her own image on the kid.

Dammit... Chihaya and Arata were the ones who should've kept Shinobu company, not some grade-schooler... *mumbles*

Anyway... I'm a bit rusty with the Chihaya-Shinobu dynamic at this point, but I kinda wonder why Shinobu never saw the same passion in Chihaya that she saw in Kokoro suddenly. Chihaya (from the readers' perspective) is fairly similar to Shinobu in regards to karuta.

Well, maybe this will let her see Chihaya anew (and make her realize Chihaya is a comrade in karuta...)

damn it... how can it suddenly reach the end??

where's my chapter?????? why is it so short??????

arghghghghhghghwiefawioefjawoenaoiejfo;aweoiweajfowia

anyway, thanks translator-sama.

I don't feel it cheapens it at all? It shows how hard work and perseverance on Chihaya's side can eventually beat a talent that goes uncultivated. It also further shows the value of teamwork and companionship that always strengthened Chihaya, and which Shinobu, and even Arata at some point, felt she could do without. 

I never like these "shinobu hits a rough patch" chapters. She's not the main character, she's the final boss. That's not to say she has to be a perfect existence, but her struggles should be primarily unrelated to karuta. If she doesn't get her ability to listen to the cards back, it'll cheapen Chihaya's eventual win against her.

I don't feel it cheapens it at all? It shows how hard work and perseverance on Chihaya's side can eventually beat a talent that goes uncultivated. It also further shows the value of teamwork and companionship that always strengthened Chihaya, and which Shinobu, and even Arata at some point, felt she could do without. 

I never like these "shinobu hits a rough patch" chapters. She's not the main character, she's the final boss. That's not to say she has to be a perfect existence, but her struggles should be primarily unrelated to karuta. If she doesn't get her ability to listen to the cards back, it'll cheapen Chihaya's eventual win against her.

Ehh I've never liked one dimensional villains there for the sake of antagonizing the MC. And saying that her struggles should be unrelated to karuta...have we been reading the same manga?

Idk I feel like Shinobu, like Chihaya, will overcome and struggle and overcome again and that they will both meet each other as equals on the tatami in a neck-and-neck battle for the title of queen.

people fighting over Arata and Taichi from chap 1-176.... now in 177 suddenly Sudou creeping up slowly impressing Chihaya and I can ship it.

I hate to admit it, but so can I.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics