Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 233votes)

Kakukaku Shikajika

Alt Names: alt かくかくしかじかalt So-and-so, Such-and-such
Author: Higashimura Akiko
Artist: Higashimura Akiko
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaJosei JoseiSchool Life School LifeSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: This is an autobiography that tells the story of Akiko Hayashi, the author as she was in her third year of high school at the beginning of the story. Through her friend Futami, Akiko starts going to an art class led by Kenzou Hidaka, an intimidating teacher who spends much of his time yelling at his students and keeping them focused on drawing with the use of a bamboo sword. Akiko is initially confused by the behavior of the teacher and her fellow students in the class, but she keeps going regardless, eventually becoming the manga author she is today.

Winner of the 2015 Manga Taisho Award.
Go to Kakukaku Shikajika Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

75 Comments

Please do not add alt names to a manga page unless they are either a direct alternate name, an official translation from a publisher, or a chapter name within an anthology. Thanks!

Fine, I won't do it to this manga.

I just did it because I knew the meaning and thought it might give readers an insight into it.

So there!

ae63068f61aa.jpg

"Kakukaku Shikajika" roughly translates as "Blah Blah Blah".

Please do not add alt names to a manga page unless they are either a direct alternate name, an official translation from a publisher, or a chapter name within an anthology. Thanks!

"Kakukaku Shikajika" roughly translates as "Blah Blah Blah".

Although not a fan of her other works, I'm fascinated by this masterpiece. As an architecture graduate, I found so many similarities in her school life and the sleepless nights. I still have the nightmare of the graduate project deadline ugh. And somewhere in my heart I hope that
Spoiler

Ps: Any Turks out there who wanna do joint-translation? Contact me! Can't do this on my own, so much speech.
Uuuu.. :"( I can feel those regrets..

oh sweet jesus that hits right in the feels.

really hoping this isn't the end of the manga (I mean, it's ongoing but someone could've forgotten to mark it finished--)

Kakukaku Shikajika has already ended.

Volume 5 is the last one.

Higashimura will break your heart and will love every second of this suffering.

*falls over*

I like that guy's work too!

I wonder if the two of them ever get in touch and talk about Hidaka-sensei. The idea itself make me feel like crying.

Way to stab it right into the heart.

O damn the last two chapters got to me ! The Feels Man, the Guilt ! 

praise hachimitsu scans for uploading two chapters at a time; I wouldn't be able to handle it if it was chapter 29 alone

really hoping this isn't the end of the manga (I mean, it's ongoing but someone could've forgotten to mark it finished--)

I read this manga in one go today. I know it was going to coming, it was pretty explicit but still, the last ch... I have the deep feeling that I'm on the verge to cry, like that lump in the throat when you want to cry. :( I really admire Higashimura-sensei now. Sensei is not now only alive in her heart, but also to us readers, which is an amazing thing to do. :'] 

Ugh, she is about to do something regrettable isn't she.

Crap, I was worred about something horrible happening.

Goddamn.

sensei noooooooooooo

He's dead i know he's dead ! Nooo

I like how she goes back and forth between what she was doing and feeling then and her later introspections and regrets, I think she really misses her sensei even now, there is such a bittersweet tone to a lot of it.     In fact I feel that in the whole work, but it strikes harder in some chapters. 

Wow so Yoshitomi Akihito went to the same place!?  Crazy.

This is just me speculating, but I doubt she had much of a choice in the matter. She had only barely managed to get her foot in the door by winning the third place prize to earn her a debut, and then even after several rejections, that editor was kind enough to accept the storyboard for her second one-shot. Higashimura even mentions in chapter 24 that she suspected the editor was just doing this out of pity for her, so she didn't really have anywhere else to go since it's doubtful anyone else would even give her the time of day.

People don't get published just because the editor feels sorry for them.  That has to have been at least mostly her insecurity talking.

It does seem as if there's a different publishing culture

Spoiler

Meanwhile, those musings at the end of the new chapter . . . they just hit me, you know?

*falls over*

So I'm wondering . . . OK, so the magazine she'd worshipped since her youth disappeared.  And the publishers were doing something radically new, revamped, and kind of stupid.

Couldn't she just find some OTHER magazine?  Surely there was something out there still that wasn't quite so relentlessly "cheerful, stylish, fun . . . and Youthful!"

This is just me speculating, but I doubt she had much of a choice in the matter. She had only barely managed to get her foot in the door by winning the third place prize to earn her a debut, and then even after several rejections, that editor was kind enough to accept the storyboard for her second one-shot. Higashimura even mentions in chapter 24 that she suspected the editor was just doing this out of pity for her, so she didn't really have anywhere else to go since it's doubtful anyone else would even give her the time of day.

On top of that, Higuashimura alludes to the fact that the times in which she was living were changing, and the kind of manga that she grew up reading weren't necessarily popular anymore by the time she started drawing manga, so the stylistic change from the publisher is understandable. In the end, it was a "change or die" situation for her, which is why she was so desperate at the end of chapter 24 to write something that'd make it into the magazine.

So I'm wondering . . . OK, so the magazine she'd worshipped since her youth disappeared.  And the publishers were doing something radically new, revamped, and kind of stupid.

Couldn't she just find some OTHER magazine?  Surely there was something out there still that wasn't quite so relentlessly "cheerful, stylish, fun . . . and Youthful!"

14 years of bitterness due to a publisher change.  Higashimura is such an otaku.

Yeah.  And I'm totally on her side just based on the descriptions of the "before" and "after" versions.  

I probably don't want to know what that makes me.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics