Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.56 - 144votes)

Uchuu Kyoudai

Alt Names: alt 宇宙兄弟alt สองสิงห์ อวกาศalt Space Brothersalt Uchū Kyōdaialt Uchu Kyodai
Author: Koyama Chuuya
Artist: Koyama Chuuya
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaPsychological PsychologicalSci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life[no chapters] [no chapters]
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: One night in 2006, when they were young, the two brothers Mutta (born 1993) and Hibito (born 1996) saw what appeared to be a UFO heading for the moon. They decided that night to both become astronauts and travel out into space.

In 2025, Hibito has become an astronaut, and he's going to go to the moon. Mutta ended up following a more traditional career path with an auto development company. However, Mutta just ruined his career through a violent altercation with his boss. Now, not only has he lost his job, he appears to be blacklisted in the entire industry. Maybe this is a rare opportunity for Mutta to once again chase his childhood dream and become an astronaut like his little brother!

============Notice================
Unfortunatly the only chapters available from a certain point are direct scans from the English publication which are not allowed on Batoto.
==========Notice End==============
Go to Uchuu Kyoudai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic thx for the whole volume translated!!! this made my day New Window Ronny Johan
  • 1 Replies
Topic Uchuu Kyoudai - Chapter Discussion New Window Buttock Follicle
  • 0 Replies

392 Comments

@kendama
That's what I mean, yes.

I'm a huge fanboy for Code Geass, largely in part because I only started watching it when there was only one episode left in season 2 to come out, and because it ended properly.

The ending of Code Geass R2 is a fantastic example of what I mean by "a proper ending". No wrapping things up in 30 seconds at most, no hook for the next season, just finality.

Any anime at all that's story based and ends properly is great, Code Geass, Scrapped Princess, Last Exile, FMA: Brotherhood, Infinite Ryvius. I can count the anime I know with an at least decent ending to them on one hand.

The fact that there is 18 volumes out worries me, not reassures me. "season 1" of the anime will probably end up ending well before it's done, making it impossible to have any finality in the last episode of it. Sure, there might be a season 2, but it's depressingly rare for an anime to get a second season or whatever it would need to reach the end of the manga chapters.
@Amplify:

If you mean "a rare case of anime adaptation", I agree with you, but there are original anime that definitely reach greatness. I was introduced to Japanese pop culture by watching anime and only later did I turn to manga. I agree now that manga is more refined, but my favourite piece of pop culture is still an anime, Code Geass.

But, as far as adaptations are concerned, yes, greatness is normally contingent upon faith to the original, sometimes determined by a good timing relative to the mangaka. Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood and Monster immediately spring to mind. But you would be surprised to know that Space Brothers is on quite safe ground: the anime has just reached volume six of the serialisation, but the manga is already past volume 18, so the animators have a lot of breathing space. They can easily remain faithful to the manga for some 90 episodes, or even more, then end the first season and give the mangaka time to advance before launching the second season. Each volume has ten chapters, more or less, and each episode covers roughly two chapters (they really don't leave anything out, it's just that the manga is slow-paced), so it will eventually catch up, but it helps the manga is also weekly.

(Sometimes, the anime adaptation can decide to cover just part of the story and present it as a closed episode. Bunny drop did it by covering only Rin's first year with Daikichi, and it has definitely attained greatness (at least in my opinion), perfection even. It is smoothly self-contained and no ends are left loose.)

I may even enter heresy territory again and say that, if their use of filler is competent and parsimonious enough as it has been till now, they can get even more mileage for the anime before catching up. As I said, the anime version of the UFO footage episode is twice as eventful as the manga's, but so perfectly done I actually prefer it. We get to see all little details of Hibito's plot, a very captivating narrative.
@kendama
Sounds like a rare case of a good anime then. Though it's impossible for it to be "great", simply because the manga hasn't finished (or almost finished) yet.

No anime can be truly "great" without the promise of a proper, final ending. None of this "to be continued" bullshit ready for a hypothetical season two (unless season 2 does end properly) or made up endings because they jumped the gun and started work on it while the manga was still going strong, if it is story driven and the final episode isn't at least 50% epilogue of typing up loose ends and laying the series to rest then it can never be great.

I don't know how much of Uchuu Kyoudai is done, but I doubt it's enough to avoid both of those scenarios.
I may sound heretical, but I for once think the anime is better than the manga. Not only because they retain the plot to its minute details, but because even when they add something, it is in perfect harmony with the original. The latest episode, with the details of Hibito's plan, was just precious. The art of the anime is also, in my opinion, superior. This could change in the future, though, if the anime catches up and is forced to create its own plot, though.

As for the latest chapter, don't worry, people, I highly doubt Hibito is going to die. The reason is simple: this manga has already introduced the Jay brothers, who failed to stand shoulder to shoulder on the surface of the Moon due to Brian's death. Clearly, this is a plot device to introduce a contrast to the Nanba brothers: they are to succeed where their predecessors failed.

In principle, Hibito could die after they succeed and become the first brothers on the Moon, but I also find that unlikely due to the general light-hearted tone of the story.
google nasa mohawk guy for the joke lol.
ROFL! "Go look it up on wikipedia, kid!"
That alone made my day.
@Getsu
Damnit, don't jinx it please. I've been having a feeling along just those lines giving me chills about it for the last few chapters now, I want them to be unjustified :(
Hibito's prob gonna die I tell ya... the feels... I can feel it.
Zizou does look slightly evil in this one...
Scores kinda low for this one, which is really too bad since I think its such a unique piece. Anyone out there want to share some criticisms?
things are getting heated up. thanks for the upload!
The feels...
lol.. Rocky XII..
I'm not sure if is because I watched the anime first and then read the manga but I think they're doing a pretty good job with the anime, the ost helps a bit and Mutta's VA (Mutta Jackson/Lee!).
gotta love the wait sometime superrelease more than the release every day
At last. i was waiting for this. great job .
AND TVM IMangaScans gr8 job up there dudes cheers
OLOLOLOLO KidKingo STrikes AGAIN!!!! WOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
ruggia: Any other examples then? The only time I've seen this happen is with Kenichi. Bad practice, says who?

Anyway, I can't believe I bothered to looked through this but the main scanlator during those days, that is, Illuminati-Manga (well known group for their quality, not so much for speed) did BOTH fronts. They did the ones that is covered by the anime AND the ones after the anime, at the same time. Well, those were also the days where no scanlator owns any project.

You say it's bad practice, I'd say it's up to the scanlators. I'm only suggesting, and Illuminati-Manga didn't take it as bad practice.

That's all I really have to say. Back then I don't watch much anime either but went for it just for the sake of continuing HSDK.

Scanlators of Kenichi did the exact same thing I described in my suggestion (though, my suggestion only came later. I got the idea from them). They skipped the chapters covered by the anime first. One group did the early chapters, another group did those that were after the anime.

that's a bad practice in general, and usually happens because of LQ groups not respecting the existing scanlation group.
Wow, released an entire volume. Great job xD
Scanlators of Kenichi did the exact same thing I described in my suggestion (though, my suggestion only came later. I got the idea from them). They skipped the chapters covered by the anime first. One group did the early chapters, another group did those that were after the anime.

I'm not saying that you forever bury this project. There's a bunch of other manga out there that are also great and needs attention. It's just that this one can be done later as there's an anime adaptation to it.

All up to the scanlators. Either way it's their choice.
why go to space?
because we can
They got nothing against this guy
Spoiler
hah, i can see them quoting neil degrasse tyson for this next problem

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics