Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.61 - 257votes)

Ajin

Alt Names: alt 亚人alt 亜人alt Demi-Human
Author: Miura Tsuina & Sakurai Gamon
Artist: Sakurai Gamon
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureDrama DramaHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalSchool Life School LifeSci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story follows a high school student named Kei Nagai, who is caught in a traffic accident, dies, but immediately revives and learns he is not human, but an Ajin, a mysterious creature that cannot die. Scared, he runs away from humans but is helped by his friend Kai, who joins him in his flee from civilization. He then becomes involved in a conflict between human and Ajin and must choose a side.

Note: Roughly mid-way through the manga, the Author Tsuina Miura left this project.

Nominated for the 7th annual Manga Taishou Award, the Readers Award in the 18th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize and in the Seinen category in the 38th Annual Kodansha Manga Awards in 2014. In the 40th(2016) annual kodansha manga award for General Category
Go to Ajin Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic What is wrong with Kei? New Window Bananimal
  • 23 Replies
Topic English translations? New Window darren
  • 2 Replies
Topic Tin man and Scarecrow New Window truepurple
  • 2 Replies
Topic Sore Spot New Window admira
  • 1 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Yurichikun
  • 6 Replies
Topic Would we react like this? New Window BlackToTheFuture
  • 19 Replies

368 Comments

so he only heals completely when he "dies"? since his broken leg didn't heal until he cut his neck it seems.

Spoiler

Freaking intense. I mean, those eyes.

The monster looks like a belemic Burn victim

i think he can summon his own ajin... xD

Subconsciously yes. Consciously no.

Does anyone know if this is weekly id love to know...

Check out our site for info on project status/schedule http://livelyscans.com/

Does anyone know if this is weekly id love to know...

i think he can summon his own ajin... xD

ohh.. ohh... excitement overload...

i wonder if that bandage shadow lurking thingy around is the true ajin..? 

LOVIN' IT

@Omnicast: Hell of a comparison you've got there. I was gonna counter it with some shit about stem cell research, but I changed my mind, don't even wanna start this. If we're writing a story, big changes like that always turn into WWIII somehow, after which any social change the author wants is fair game, so yeah, I guess. Ajin serum at the corner store, why the fuck not.

No, I don't actually agree it'd be that simple, but I'm too sleep-deprived to elaborate. I insist that age is the part of mortality that really gets to us, though.

Anyway, yeah, everything's a bit exaggerated and nasty around here. I just hope when the conflict really gets going, the two sides won't both be irredeemable. There's a lot of seinen manga out there that fall apart from trying this hard to be grim.

@NyuuuuSaaaan Getting over injuries is nice? Umm Ajins are immune to permanently dying. I'm pretty sure that's also highly coveted. I do agree with you that we don't know if they can live forever.

Also as soon as they find out how to grant death immunity or regeneration to whoever they want they won't be in the minority anymore.

Example: Cellphones used to be huge and bulky and few people owned them. Now they're small, portable, convenient, and EVERYONE HAS ONE(almost).

@Omnicast: Well, those of us who have read the synopsis up there know a little bit more than that. And anyway, if Kei was the first special case, they wouldn't have had a particular reason to suspect he was.

That said, though, if someone did get his hands on the Ajin's immortality, he'd get all the danger and hate that comes with it so I'm not sure if immortality is the best they can get out of this. In fact, while getting over injuries is nice (unless it means the rest of your life will be solely injuries), what humans really wanted was to live forever. We don't know if that's how it works.

I mean honestly, right now immortality isn't looking very attractive. Rather, it's about the worst lot you can get. You're the one poor bastard without an easy way out.

@TacticalFan Why would they want to kill them for? Humans are greedy. HUMANS WANT IMMORTALITY! It's been coveted since well... a long ass time ago. Stories of the Holy Grail, Myths of Ambrosia the food of the gods(Greek gods), Godly Peaches in china plus a shit ton of other medical remedies, and well countless other cultures has stories of things that offered much longed for immortality.

@NyuuuuSaaaan Hmm I think they already have anti Ajin measures in place... up to now all the Ajin's encountered have been captured. Up to now that is... we all know this Ajin... Kei is different. Fufufufufufu. 

I think the mangaka is just being overly cruel with the Ajins as a shock factor. Makes the readers ally themselves with the Ajins.

@TacticalFan: They could test weapons on them, there's all sorts of medical experiments they could run and they'd definitely want to make artificial Ajin. Sure, they'd try simply testing the Ajin's limits as well, but the big bucks go for the more useful research. With what the author's shown, it does feel like abusing them is the point. Which bothers me because it wouldn't really have hurt the ow factor to make the research look somewhat useful. If the point is merely that the kid is screwed if they get him, that's all the more reason to show how they really use Ajin these days. I bet there's horrible things done to them in the name of legitimate, applicable science so it'd be cool if the author showed those. For pain alone, you might as well give them to a snuff film ring.

Unless he's implying a need for Ajin countermeasures, that is.

Ok I just thought about this after reading chapter two and I can't believe I didn't notice this until now. 

What I noticed is that these "Scientists" are f*cking stupid as hell. The "Experiments" they do and has been shown in the manga is nothing but torture and killing without any actual scientific analyzing involved.

I mean most of these Ajins already survived some sort of horrific death or something otherwise they wouldn't even be called ajins. After confirming that they are Ajins the scientists shouldn't be killing them over and over again like retards. They should and would be attempting experiments where they either draw blood for analysis and maybe injecting that blood into living animals or humans in an ACTUAL ATTEMPT to achieve immortality well in this case it'd be more along the lines of infinite regeneration. Since the manga didn't say that they live forever(yet).

Only plausible explanation I can think of is that the Ajin's don't materialize until the host is fatally injured. Yep only thing I can think of.

I could see scientists doing those experiments. The experements shown are ment to determine if there is any way to kill an Ajin--determin whether Ajin are really immortal or just increadibly hard to kill. The experement shown in the first chapter sees if Ajin could die from head trauma, and the experement shown in the second chapter sees if Ajin could be killed from massive crush injeries.

Ok I just thought about this after reading chapter two and I can't believe I didn't notice this until now. 

What I noticed is that these "Scientists" are f*cking stupid as hell. The "Experiments" they do and has been shown in the manga is nothing but torture and killing without any actual scientific analyzing involved.

I mean most of these Ajins already survived some sort of horrific death or something otherwise they wouldn't even be called ajins. After confirming that they are Ajins the scientists shouldn't be killing them over and over again like retards. They should and would be attempting experiments where they either draw blood for analysis and maybe injecting that blood into living animals or humans in an ACTUAL ATTEMPT to achieve immortality well in this case it'd be more along the lines of infinite regeneration. Since the manga didn't say that they live forever(yet).

Only plausible explanation I can think of is that the Ajin's don't materialize until the host is fatally injured. Yep only thing I can think of.

I'm glad the author mainly involved hoodlums and the people who saw him get up all bloody and broken. Now if he includes a few social justice activists and some bewildered folks that are weirded out by immortality, but nevertheless hope the innocent neighbourhood kid isn't in for a lifetime of torture, I'll let him off the hook for the ridiculous class reaction.

Sadly, I have a feeling it won't go in that direction. If there's gonna be complete and utter disgust, why stress that the ajin are supposedly harmless? Makes it a damn lot harder to draw the line.

Seems okay otherwise, though.

Honestly, I kinda want one of those kinds of manga to wind up with the 'inhumans' engaging in a bloody massacre of the authority figures responsibility for all that inhumane experimentation bullshit. Or at least in a major public outcry and political disgrace (really, that'd be better, the bloody massacre just appeals to the bloodthirsty part of me).

Sorry, it's just frustrating to read this kind of stuff sometimes.

Alright! I know where that bandage Ajin is from! BIG O-RDER(Almost said Big O... hmm...) yep! Same guy as the main character's Bind Dominator.

Except this guy... well he doesn't have a pegging fetish... while the guy in BO has a pegging fetish... well pegging other people fetish. Looks like the Ajin is a groper in this one. Touchy touchy feely feely. Also probably the best power to have on a Japanese train. ;D

Thanks for the update! this looks good I'm liking the mystery behind this so far.

"As long as Nagai Kei is not a different species"

Now there's a big chance that he is ~

Some of you guys speculate too much. Just read it... enjoy it... and express how you feel about it in the comments... Don't ruin the fun in reading manga.

Oh thank goodness. I'm not a fan of entirely hopeless narratives but seems there's a bit more to this than that.

Although there's some realism to the govt and other big groups' reaction to those Ajins, I think the people's reaction is a bit overdone, if not unnatural.

"lol you're not human and thus we treat you like milk cows with no remorse ever"

There's a bad habit of making everyone a friggin' sociopath in mangas. But well, the intensity of the first chapter makes up for it.

Humans dont have it hard thinking of other humans like animals just look at war people kill people easily also there is alot of racisme in the world and the ajin arent seen as humans it is like catching a chicken if people hear that it will bring bucks and it isnt dangerous they will go mad 

I bet that power has some sort of limit/restriction.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics