Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.58 - 107votes)

Amanchu!

Alt Names: alt Amanchualt あまんちゅ!alt 藍海少女alt 海之少女
Author: Amano Kozue
Artist: Amano Kozue
Genres: Comedy ComedySchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hikari Kohinata is a cheerful 15 year-old girl who lives near the ocean and she spends much of her time diving as a result. On her first day of high school, she meets a teacher who also likes scuba diving. There's also a 16 year-old classmate, Futaba, who gets dragged along in Hikari's maelstrom as soon as they meet at school.
Go to Amanchu! Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

165 Comments

I hope in japan you don't get your open water cert after just 2 pool dives and one open water. I had to do 2 pool and 8 open water.
I wonder what causes post dive fatigue. I always thought it was due to your body having to work harder in the cold water plus dehydration, but I still got it even after diving in 31 degree C water where I got hot plus had heaps too drink. Nitrox definitely reduces it so maybe something to do with carbon dioxide build up or the nitrogen loading. It is nice though when diving overseas or on a liveaboard boat where you dive in the morning and nap in the arvo. Relaxing

Thanks, Teatime.  Anything by Amano Sensei is always worth reading, and Pikari and Dotty happen to be two of my favorites.  

God, that was cute :batoto_015:

Thanks, teatime.

By jove!  I believe it's Teatime!

Thanks for the chapter!

Meanwhile on currency--and of course the exchange rate never captures purchasing power, which can be quite a ways off.  For instance, here in Canada the Can$ was trading at just over a US$ for years, but at the same time it was generally agreed that purchasing power was only about 80 cents.  So anything we might figure about what a yen "is worth" is going to be pretty vague at best.

Well purchasing power also depends on the location you are relating it to. i.e.: housing in New York City vs. housing in Kansas City.  Seeing as Izu is located within the Kanto region, prices in that area are pretty high, especially in the Tokyo area. That said, it seemed like they were going to order the items online, and it's also specialty gear, so pricing on it is probably set in stone rather than variable.

By jove!  I believe it's Teatime!

Thanks for the chapter!

Meanwhile on currency--and of course the exchange rate never captures purchasing power, which can be quite a ways off.  For instance, here in Canada the Can$ was trading at just over a US$ for years, but at the same time it was generally agreed that purchasing power was only about 80 cents.  So anything we might figure about what a yen "is worth" is going to be pretty vague at best.

Thanks for continuing with this!

Nice to see that laptop that Akari always uses, heh.

Note to readers: whoever calculated the value of 100,000 JPY to be $1,540 clearly had a massive brain fart. As of September 2013, 1 dollar is 99 yen +/- 0.5, so 100,000 JPY is about $1k. The exchange rate hasn't been that bad for us in a long time (lowest it's been recently is 80 yen to the dollar as of last year, or $1250 per 100k JPY).

I don't think I've seen ototou-kun-sempai...talk so much

Back!

Amano is awesome. I'm even more convinced.
Thank you Teatime Scans.
If anything, the friend crying on the train ride back could indicate that she was in love with Dotty, in a relationship, and realized that she 'lost' her. The other friend, meanwhile, is simply a friend who also likes Dotty, but not in a romantic way, but a 'female friends' way. The only question is whether or not Pikari becomes an implied romantic relationship through emotional bonding, like crying friend, or if it remains the 'strength in female friendship' as seen with the other visiting friend.
If there is any relationship going on, I think it is one sided. Pikari is portrayed as a clueless person from Dotty's perspective, but Pikari is actually a really amazing person. She's got her future planned, she's a substantially better student in terms of grades, compared to Dotty. She's already a diving tour guide, and she even managed to get her mental illness under control. As seen with Dotty's friends, Pikari treats everyone the way she treats Dotty. Moreover, she is even aware of Dotty's dependence on her, and tries to help 'free' her, to make her independent, with the scuba compass event. The relationship they share is from the perspective of Dotty, and it seems like a real relationship, but from the perspective of Pikari, I don't think it is so. We even saw a bit of this alluded one side relationship with the suspension bridge. "Dotty falls in love with Pikari, as Pikari saved her from falling, coupled with the suspension bridge effect", but then the friend witnessing it, and suspecting love, also gets lost, has Pikari save her, to realize "this is simply how Pikari is with everyone". I doubt the author is going to turn this into a manga of heartbreak and isolation, where Dotty's feelings might be crushed, in a long shoujo-esque arc, so they'll probably remain friends.
That Endless 8 feeling. . .
Another great slice of life chapter. Amano has definetly improved in this series; her characters are more realistic than the ones in Aria, the MC is going through and through phases of creating her own view of her world. By accepting the bad, and noticing and enjoying more of the the goodness of life.
This manga is so cute >///<
Again another relaxing chapter with character development.
Damn i'm starting to fall in love with this series like i did with Aria.
    • Exa likes this
yeah we need shoujo ai tag :3

looooveeee it ~
Y'know, I was busily thinking, "Yeah, Graeystone's got a point." Then I read ch. 27.
Oh, lordy! In readers' minds?! There may be nothing sexual going on, but in every other way those two aren't even at the "thinking about going out" stage, they're practically married.
Purple Library Guy - Like Aqua/Aria, this one is heavy on friendship between girls like in Anne Of Green Gables so any Shojo Ai/Yuri will only exist in reader's minds. . .or fanart. . .or fanfics. . .
Well, if it's in a shounen mag I guess it's shounen.
Annnnd, I guess there's no real hope of even one li-ttle shoujo ai kiss . . .
Ah well, still fun. But a romance fan can dream, can't he?
As an amateur diver (only half a year of experience) it feels really great discovering this manga. Anyways, I don't think having a complicated plot will be a boon to this manga, after diving is mostly done for the sake of fun, so it's great that the author keeps up with the cheerfulness of the manga. Not a very deep read, but it is for sure something that does brighten up our day.
what?
the only truly happy person is the village idiot

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics