Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 976votes)

Koe no Katachi

Alt Names: alt A Silent Voicealt 声之形alt รักไร้เสียงalt 聲の形alt 聲之形alt 목소리의 형태alt La forma de la vozalt Sesin Şeklialt The Shape of a Voicealt هيئة الصوتalt Wujud Sebuah Suaraalt Форма Голоса
Author: Ooima Yoshitoki
Artist: Ooima Yoshitoki
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Shouya Ishida, a boy always looking for ways to beat boredom, ends up looking for it in the wrong place. Weirded out by his new classmate, a deaf transfer student named Shouko Nishimiya, he deems her as the target of his ostracizing and bullying. Day after day, Shouya picks on Shouko, unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions. He finally understands the pain he has inflicted on her when one day, his bullying culminates in her leaving the school, and his classmates begin to shun and harass him every chance they get instead. Determined to right his wrongs, five years later, Shouya, now a third year high school loner, meets Shouko again. Thus begins the story of a young man's path to redemption.
Go to Koe no Katachi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Is this worth reading? New Window Kenshin-dono
  • 26 Replies
Topic The hearing aids; what's their point? New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies
Topic Koe no Kitachi anime confirmed New Window KeK
  • 5 Replies
Topic What happened to the sister? New Window Sennkestra
  • 16 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 72 Replies
Topic I am outraged at the father New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies

2149 Comments

This makes me think a lot. Poor Nishimiya family for the missing hearing aids but really I would think they can pay for a better school for their daughter if they can(?) keep buying those. Whatever happened to the music teacher who seem to have cared?
Oh and Shouya developed nicely as a character and person. I thought an alternate ending where he didn't meet Nishimiya again and instead be more open with deaf people would not be bad.
It´s really heartwarming. It´s a real pity that it´s a one-shot. Nevertheless, this is a good work.
Beautiful.....
Really powerful stuff. Glad it got published.
And then the teacher grew up, was transferred to Inaba and became Morooka.
Uwahhh this is sooo cute...
I feel sorry for her bullying but shit happens eh?
I wish I can read more..
I want to know how they cope with each other in highschool..
REminds me of kingyou no sou though..
Hmmm... I don't understand why this made so much rage. I mean, it had a really sweet ending. It made me smile. True there was some intense bullying in it.

Perhaps it's because she's deaf? If she wasn't would people not be as angry? I mean come on... I hate bullying quite a bit regardless but if you're hating on this just cause she's deaf then frankly that sounds a tad shallow.

Spoiler

This One Shot is like a breath of fresh air. =.=

Oh, and Comadrin is right. The teacher was the real bad guy in all this.
I keep rereading the last 15 pages :/
People are just raging cuz they are angry. Nothing to do with NTR rage. Who start this NTR conversation anyway?
Just pointing it out there, NTR stands for "netorare" in which the dictionary meaning is:
when one's romantic companion is paired with an unwanted partner.

Though NTR usually does induce rage, by no means does it mean everything that makes you rage is NTR. There was no actual romance in this series, therefore there is no NTR in this series.
ahhh if that's the case then the ending makes quite a bit more sense now, thanks for pointing that out e27!
in the end he mistakenly asked her to marry him(clasped hands) and she accepted it seems.
For those who didn't know, unlike America, Japan hasn't always been so good with their special education. Remember that this is a society where people kill themselves because they don't get good enough grades, imagine how people who are already considered at a disadvantage might be treated.

It wasn't until the late 80's and into the 90's that Deaf Education finally became more widely accepted, and even still it had hurdles to face. Many Japanese, including the 'hearing' people who were in charge of the Ministry of Education's Deaf education program felt that the Japanese language was a hallmark of being Japanese and that all Japanese should want to know it. Imagine learning another language, but never being able to hear it; the only way you know you pronounced something right was because you didn't get smacked.

Unlike the US who's deaf education has been around since the late 1800's and France who pioneered deaf education and culture, Japan is relatively new.in the field.

I had a deaf friend, from Japan, in college, who taught me ASL. From what we talked about he never experienced anything to this degree, but he was always embarrassed, even ashamed when he had to 'Speak' Japanese, because he knew he messed up and knew people made fun of him. As he got older and JSL became prominent and his mother sent him to a school for the deaf, his quality of life greatly increased.
wtb revenge spin-off.
I'd like to point out that, since everyone is wearing regular clothes in class, this is probably a primary school and not a middle school.
@Randrakan564 True.

PPls, SHUT THE FUCK UP! Thanks! This isin't NTR, do you know what that means? No? Go to google. You know. The thing you propably use almost every DAMN day.

This was a nice and heartfelt story, stop ruining it for the rest of us with NTR talk.
Wait...why are people calling it NTR? This has NOTHING to do with NTR...people should learn what the term actually means before using it.
NTR isn't something that is simply rage inducing, I'm getting sick of people using it everywhere so incorrectly. There isn't even any romance in this oneshot much less anything resembling NTR.

I repeat, no NTR.
poor girl, but sweet story.
Una historia genial, me ha gustado mucho!!!

El bullying es un tema delicado, pero de todas maneras la autora lo ha tratado a la perfección, muy bonita historia, de como se da cuenta el acosador de lo que se siente al sufrir de bullying, cuando todos te ignoran, y te tratan mal, aprende lo que el hacía. Pero es difícil para este OneShot ser publicado semanalmente en esta revista, esperemos que pueda conseguirlo.
Well, the male mc was a total rat fink, as my mother would have said. I knew kids like that all the way from kindergarten through high school, and he was about normal for the worst of them. As i see it, though, the real villain in the story is the teacher. He knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the girl was being bullied. He participated in making vulgar and insensitive remarks, and laughed along with the bullying faction. Until, of course, the principal got involved, at which time he decided the male mc was the perfect scapegoat, and proceeded to use him as the sacrifice. Later, he knew perfectly well the boy was being targeted by everyone, but told him to stop lying about why he was sitting in the pond with all his books and gear around him.

When I was in public school, this kind of teacher was all too common. They bonded with the bullies, and any student, male or female, who went to them was usually humiliated in front of the class and branded a crybaby. We often hear about "enablers" in alcohol and drug abuse, but schools have a history of adult enablers of bullying. I can remember, from elementary school, a boy on crutches being pushed down a flight of stairs, and a couple of teachers (who saw the whole thing) pretending that he tripped and fell. For heaven's sake: these are the adults that are supposed to be protecting and guiding these children.

I can see why profit-driven factions in a publishing business would want to steer clear of printing this manga. It is an uncomfortable story about people's total lack of empathy, and the hypocrisy and apathy that pervades many of our public institutions. So the upshot at most publishers is, "Hey, stupid editor! I don't care if it's the manga equivalent of King Lear. Mark it rejected and find some fluff about teenage martial artists or some made up love angst. Don't rock the boat!"
Until the end, the "energy" of this was that of NTR and Rape. Love it.

Diversity shall prosper and the weak shall be just that!
so much rage, it's like people have never heard of NTR here before.

now this is how you make a good character cast with good story, not the standard shounen-action/seinen-ecchi-workhard bullshit we've been seeing every season.
Very good, intense and upsetting but still very good. Thanks a lot FwPA and VIS!!!
One girl in my class was bullied a lot, and in the end she stopped eating. I'm glad I never took part in it, but it's no better if you don't do anything about it. I was bullied at some points but it luckily never took off to being constant. Kids are truly terrible monsters!

That said, is it normal for deaf people to be put to a normal school?
wtf, I'm siriously crying. Wait no dust just got into my eyes. Then again the story is worth crying for.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics