Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.44 - 70votes)

Myum-Myum

Alt Names: alt 2012 지구가 멸망한다면?alt 뮴뮴신
Author: Currygom
Artist: Currygom
Genres: Oneshot OneshotPsychological PsychologicalSlice of Life Slice of LifeWebtoon Webtoon
Type: Manhwa (Korean)
Description: The world is in an uproar over the discovery of a stone tablet thought to have been created 500 years ago.
The stone contains predictions of major incidents that happened worldwide in the last 500 years. All of its prophecies had already come true. There is only one prophecy recorded on the stone that pertains to the future ahead: that the world will end in a year’s time, and only those who believe in the god drawn on the stone will find salvation.
The name of this god is... Myum-Myum.

Original webcomic: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=490549&no=8&weekday=tue

Chapter 8 (of 35) of '2012 지구가 멸망한다면?' - a collection of oneshot webcomics related to supposed the end of the world in 2012.
( http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=490549&no=8&weekday=tue )
Go to Myum-Myum Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

29 Comments

I think the whole point of the comic is that there's no point in being right if the rest of the world is wrong.

Looking at it logically, $10 and embracing irrationality is a small price to pay to avoid alienation, disruption of your everyday life (the main character became a shut in towards the end), and harboring bitter feelings every day for the rest of your life. The world did "end" in a way for those who didn't believe in Myum-Myum, in the sense that they will never be able to live happy, normal lives after the year ended and the rest of the world embraced Myum-Myum as a thing of normality. What is the point of rationality anyway, in a scenario where it only brings you misery? It's not like you can pass on your beliefs if no one else is willing to listen, so in the end you can either simply choose whether only you yourself will die happy and deluded or whether you will die rational and miserable. I know which one I would choose. And yes, I realize my choice seems paradoxical but it's basically the concept of "rational igorance" applied to religion/groupthink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_ignorance

This comic is not really applicable in today's world since there are many people who don't believe in religion and our religions are all splintered and antagonistic towards each other, but it's still an interesting read nonetheless.

I agree with your comment, but I'm sure many of those who paid $10 did it just to go with the flow or to stop being bothered by the proselytes. That doesn't mean they believe in Myum-Myum. I think it's not as black and white as "joining will instantly make you happy, deluded and irrational". Min-gu didn't seem so glad about it, more like resigned. Just because he joined doesn't mean he completely stopped using logic at all - he just stopped (or pretended to stop) being against the Myum-Myum cult.

What I find most interesting is the bit about "the truth/logic society believes". I think that even if the Myum-Myum religion disappeared in the future, the morals and way of thinking it promoted would still have an impact for a very long time. Once a belief is widely spread and accepted, it is really hard to change it. 

Want me to join your sect ?

Ahah give up.

I think the whole point of the comic is that there's no point in being right if the rest of the world is wrong.

Looking at it logically, $10 and embracing irrationality is a small price to pay to avoid alienation, disruption of your everyday life (the main character became a shut in towards the end), and harboring bitter feelings every day for the rest of your life. The world did "end" in a way for those who didn't believe in Myum-Myum, in the sense that they will never be able to live happy, normal lives after the year ended and the rest of the world embraced Myum-Myum as a thing of normality. What is the point of rationality anyway, in a scenario where it only brings you misery? It's not like you can pass on your beliefs if no one else is willing to listen, so in the end you can either simply choose whether only you yourself will die happy and deluded or whether you will die rational and miserable. I know which one I would choose. And yes, I realize my choice seems paradoxical but it's basically the concept of "rational igorance" applied to religion/groupthink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_ignorance

This comic is not really applicable in today's world since there are many people who don't believe in religion and our religions are all splintered and antagonistic towards each other, but it's still an interesting read nonetheless.

lol Christianity stated the world would end during X year so many times, and when it didn't they stated the same thing as in this manhwa. (not bashing on Christians or Catholics I'm sure other religions did the same, just stating that this does happen)

Well "Christianity" didn't state it, but rather particular people claiming affiliation/authority within it.  So in fairness, yes, this type of thing happens all the time (with many religions), but Christianity as a whole doesn't have a time-table as part of it's doctrine (rather the opposite, as it states no-one knows precisely when other than God).

Anyway, I really liked this, I thought it was very interesting and definitely pokes some fun at cults, peer pressure/herd mentality, and religion in general.  It sort of exposes the idea of "selling piece of mind"... and in the end it costs a lot more than $10, I'd say.

That poor guy :( I'd go mad

lol Christianity stated the world would end during X year so many times, and when it didn't they stated the same thing as in this manhwa. (not bashing on Christians or Catholics I'm sure other religions did the same, just stating that this does happen)

Wow, Young-jin is amazing for standing up for his beliefs. He seems really alone in the world though. I hope he finds someone or a community as strong as him.

Hmm...scary to think about.  I'd be exactly like Young-Jin in that situation...

The mob mentality sort of reminds me of Nazi Germany, if anyone has ever read the book 'The Wave' by Todd Strasser you realise that it has many similarities except this myum-myum is a religion and not political party/idea.
well that was depressing o-o
Its pretty scary how much control a mob mentality can have and how everything can flip so quickly. Thank you so much to the company, it must have taken sooo long to translate those websites :D
myummyum looks darn cute though lol
im not even atheist but hell this is good! yeah its ok to have faith in something but joining due to mob mentality? encouraging others to join your religion as if it's some kind of club? that's disgusting
Please take note, people: this is still less ridiculous than Scientology.
thanks for translating this! nice to see more of currygom's work
thats the way religion works
nice work
The next step would be creating a Inquisition-like organisation to "persuade" those non-believers.
lol, that's great.
Quite good, an interesting take on mob mentality......see Shirley Jackson and The Lottery..........
You know, if you look throughout history, organized religions have been responsible for most wars and for most of man's inhumanity towards each other. Just look at the old Christian Crusaders and the modern Islamic Jihadists. God has frequently been used as an excuse for killing in massive numbers and will probably continue as long as some people use religion to exert control over other people's lives.

Even today, I hear so-called "Good, charitable Christians" talk casually about how some people should be killed simply because they have different beliefs or lifestyles. It is damned scary to a free-thinker like me!

Although I will admit to a certain bloodthirsty-ness in myself, especially when it comes to dealing with violent criminals and politicians!! Although you can't really call those types human. They are actually parasitic organisms worthy of being eliminated!! MUA-HA-HA-HA!!!
That was....amazing?
Wow... this is really intriguing...
As for me, I am a God-fearing atheist!!

Of course, I have to keep an electrical grounding wire hooked up to the zipper tab on my Levis to avoid being fried by the many lightning bolts hurled at me constantly by that damned bastard that I refuse to believe in!!!

(After all... I blaspheme A LOT!!!)
When I read Myum-Myum I think of a Cat
Is it wrong of me to read "Myum-Myum"
as "Yum-Yum"?.,
xD

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics