Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (3.98 - 109votes)

Shin Sekai Yori

Alt Names: alt From the New Worldalt Shinsekai Yorialt 新世界より
Author: Kishi Yuusuke
Artist: Oikawa Tooru
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaFantasy FantasySci-fi Sci-fiShounen ShounenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy TragedyYuri Yuri
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story is set in Japan a millennium from now. Five children — the protagonist Saki, Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun — have been born and raised in a tranquil town that can be described as a utopia, overflowing with water and green foilage. The world is ruled by people who have the "cursed power" or the "gods' power" of telekinesis.

After a certain incident, Saki and the others come to realize the true nature of their world. Before long, they learn everything, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state. The five throw themselves into life-threatening adventure and fighting to protect friends and a world on the brink of collapse.
Go to Shin Sekai Yori Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic I need help from readers who understand Shin Sekai Yori well. New Window nes370
  • 0 Replies
Topic (Fiends) Argh! I hate finding stupidly easily fixes to major plot points. New Window kishind
  • 4 Replies

136 Comments

hope to see more soon :D, freaking awesome. But I wonder what will happen with the boy.
Now that was a fucking bitter in the nutts. All that shit shun went trough to get saki to clear up the mess the world has gone in to, and she still got herself brainwashed, again.
(uh, in case it's actually something that happens in the manga for X reason... i blame alcohol for not thinkin about that sooner)
i always fail to see how humanity ever got to the brink of extinction
@Himiska: You saw what cantus can do just now, right? Certain people could demolish towns if they turned hostile. Since the 21st century, incidents like that pushed humanity to the brink of extinction. According to the false minoshiro, the one species of animal that really gets along are bonobo apes, and that's because they fuck a lot. So the surviving humans modified themselves to include a sexual instinct that triggers in place of less healthy urges. And I guess the future society treats sex as little more than a recreational activity and prejudice against same-sex relations is gone.
The anime explains it better, though. If you find this manga at all readable, you should really watch the anime.
so confusing until the last few chapters
@Xenoevil

I haven't seen the anime but can you summarize why she was like that? To me, it really irritated me to no end and though most would think it's awesome; the fact that she sleeps with her best friend and loves another guy really grinds my gear.
Jesus, the contrast might be stronger than in any manga I've ever read before... it's hard to read because of what I'm afraid can happen...
@Opal: It's definitely a lot less interesting. There's a shitload of fanservice, the explanations are kept to a bare minimum and a couple of ideas are left out altogether (the sealing, for example). Honestly, in some ways I think this manga is a travesty. But even so, the artist really is good and doesn't only puts effort into the girls. The scenery and the grotesque stuff are all great, at times better than the anime. Kind of a waste he dilutes it with fanservice, but it's kept down in the second volume where shit gets more serious. I'm relieved he didn't kill the pacing to force in bathing scenes in every chapter, at least.
Story-wise, it all gets simplified (and I imagine the anime is itself simplified), but also strongly rearranged, which is what keeps it sorta interesting. One major development from the summer camp has been delayed while something huge from a little later on was moved up. The drama and character development were both worse and the world-building was basically gone, but we did get a different angle on the story and seeing familiar events take place in a different environment was pretty cool, especially considering how well that environment was drawn.
I don't regret picking this up, because it does offer a new perspective on a story I enjoy, but I have to admit the perspective is far less interesting.
...I like the anime A LOT; that it gives you a feeling that you have brains and has this perplexing society and world.
Generally, ecchi - which hardly exists in the anime - gives me a forced and bored feeling though (I would say that's what it is, romance is the genre with heart in it). Could someone tell me if this is worth a read for someone like me? (If you wanna use plot spoilers answering, though, PM, please. ;D)
A whole volume without fanservice?! DROPPED.

Spoiler
right in the feels... i was sad when he took the poison and walked away. happy when they told eachother their feelings. then sad when he disappeared, then even more sad when she couldnt remember him.
Man karma demons are so brutal. Wish the anime could have match what you see in this manga.

@Himiska
The fake minoshiro explains her behavior which is in the anime.
Well thats depressing
Man, I just don't get this manga. Saki says she loves the guy but then has sex with her friend and tells her that she loves her instead...just what is going through that head of hers.

If anything, at this point, I would just call her a slut. If only Shun knew...
Not sure how to tag this manga.
Got curious after watching the anime so I end up following it. We'll see.
@Anthwan Hall:
Spoiler
lol who keeps puting a yaoi and shounen ai tag on this ? if your thinking that where this manga is at right now your wrong , the author only put the screens together like that to show that while those to where (having fun) the other side (the boys) where thinking how the fuk they got into this mess XD.
lol who keeps puting a yaoi and shounen ai tag on this ? if your thinking that where this manga is at right now your wrong , the author only put the screens together like that to show that while those to where (having fun) the other side (the boys) where thinking how the fuk they got into this mess XD.
Yaoi and Yuri? Nooooo~
We need straigh love and sex! ^_^
The manga makes Reika memorable though with all those fan service scenes.
This is a fest genre. Yuri!! And what's with Satoru and Shun? This need shounen ai too.
and by the way the kids in the anime look much more accordingly to a 12 year old than the ones in the manga!
Everyone that likes this should watch the anime! it explain much better what is going on ( and contrary with what some people have say, the sexual like scenes are not forced at all and same-sex relations are used and imply but not in a excessive way)
i saw all these tags. and then i saw yuri. instanta follow. start seemed lacking however.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics