Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 93votes)

Giant Killing

Alt Names: alt ジャイアントキリングalt 逆转监督
Author: Tsunamoto Masaya
Artist: Tsujitomo
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedySeinen SeinenSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In Giant Killing a ragtag bunch from East Tokyo are struggling in Japan's top football league. The team is going through an abysmal spell right now where they are nearing the bottom of the table and have lost 5 matches in a row. The losses haven't done much to team morale, because it was already low. Fan support, on the other hand, is looking bleak. In the world of football, once the fans turn on a team the end is near. Teams don't recover. Coaches are fired, players are sold, and teams drop to lower divisions where profits often prevent them from ever being successful against even mediocre top division teams. East Tokyo United, ETU, can only blame their coach right now. And Coach is ready to give up this next game to prove to his team and fans, that against the biggest club in the nation he can make this team win.

In 2010, this manga received the 34th Annual Kodansha Manga Award for General Manga.
Go to Giant Killing Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic [SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion New Window svines85
  • 4 Replies

177 Comments

Man I love this manga. Thanks so much to the GK amateurs for doing a professional level job 

A small detail that I really love about this manga: the balls used. Instead of resorting to the usual black-and-white ball with pentagons and hexagons that is pretty much the stock image of a football the mangaka is drawing an actual modern football - in this case, the Adidas +Teamgeist used during the WC 2006. It is attention to small detail like this that makes a good manga really great for me.

so great. i don't have to quit being lazy and go look for raws...

thanks a lot.

Just getting better and better. Thanks for picking up this series, GK.

thanks for the new update. keep up the good work!

Bless the new group, I hope the pace will stay consistent like this.  It would be great to see a new chapter every 1-2 days until we reached the latest chapter (currently at 355)

Could this be the last time I have to reread??? Thanks for the he updates

Thank you GK amateurs for bringing back this brilliant piece. This is definitely the best Soccer manga and i was really wanting to read more of it. Keep the good work.

Thanks for the updates! It's good to see such a great series get picked up again. Kudos~

Yay, new chapter! Thanks a bunch!

A little hint for the translator, though: the wide defenders are either wingbacks or fullbacks, depending on how much they press forward, not sidebacks like you wrote on page 10 of the new chapter. Aside from that, good job, and thanks a lot for continuing this seemingly abandoned series. I was really missing it, because it is the rare gem of a sports manga that is actually good.

I am really looking forward to this training camp. Seems like coach Tatsumi has some really fun ideas :D

But what happened to ch. 152? Will we get that one?

I don't know if I should be happy or depressed that we're just halfway into the manga so far, and it's not even done yet. -_-

No you are mixingf two separate events:

1) TAtsumi left ETU to play in Europe

2) Tatsumi gets injured and his carrer as player ends prematurly.

This facts are known for the begining of the manga, what this revelations bring at the table its the motivation behind Tatsumi going to another team, it was all for the sake of East Tokyo United

How he gets injured and why he dosent take time to heal properly its something that not are explaned in this flashbacks and maybe its a tale for other time.

Well it sort of kind of just explained his injury. You're right though, I was mixing up events - doesn't help that the first 50 chapters or so are like 3 years old on this site. The site I first read this on had it like 2010.

Aging, such a fearsome enemy.

And that was the end of the flashback , ah! i wish i could see more , thanks S2scans .

I am normally not a fan of flashbacks, but this one was actually quite enjoyable. I wonder if it is finished now or if it will continue until his injury forces him to quit playing.

So apparently, Tatsumi ISN'T injured too badly to play soccer. As I suspected, this was a conscious decision on his part to leave the part of a player and instead become a coach. You can tell from all these flashbacks that even though he enjoyed the actual playing, his real strength and his real enjoyment was from bringing together a team's skills and bringing that team to victory.

No you are mixingf two separate events:

1) TAtsumi left ETU to play in Europe

2) Tatsumi gets injured and his carrer as player ends prematurly.

This facts are known for the begining of the manga, what this revelations bring at the table its the motivation behind Tatsumi going to another team, it was all for the sake of East Tokyo United

How he gets injured and why he dosent take time to heal properly its something that not are explaned in this flashbacks and maybe its a tale for other time.

why is it that such a great manga is so underated??... even it has a anime and it was awesome... it's a shame

It is underrated in north america mainly, and generally somewhat in the west.  The US soccer community is merely a fledging and non-fans are mostly tired of football in the rest of the world, so it's hard to hook them in with football as the premise.  It doesn't help that this is a drama-seinen with a feel of slice-of-life into it.  A lot of people think drama and like eeeeewwwww, but these same people were hooked during the BP season with Manchester fighting for one-two and QPR (I think it was the rangers at least) changing the final score for the pendant.  The atmosphere from that was almost identical to the beginning of the manga when Tatsumi led his team to victory against a pro in the FA cup.     

I love how Kassan rubbed the Pres' nose in how he is actually nothing else but another fanboy who clings to Tatsumi to carry the entire club on his shoulders. That really needed to be said.

This reveal about the past is VERY interesting.

Spoiler
Volume 31 cover:
Spoiler

It's announced that Giant Killing has surpassed printing 10,000,000 copies.

why is it that such a great manga is so underated??... even it has a anime and it was awesome... it's a shame

Finally a new chapter!!

One outs is another good one, it has a different approach but still pretty good and different from the common sports mangas.

Damn didnt think a football manga could be this good.

I like this manga because it is not only heel passes, bicycle kicks, stepovers and even more ridiculous crap which you will hardly ever see in actual professional football. This one is solid football, actually covering tactical as well as mental aspects and focussing on the team aspect of the sport.

Most other sports mangas, I do not even touch. But this one's great.

Damn didnt think a football manga could be this good.

Argh double post. Ignore please :)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics