Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.45 - 67votes)

Kabu no Isaki

Alt Names: alt 井崎的飞机alt 伊佐木的飞机alt カブのイサキalt Isaki of the Cub
Author: Ashinano Hitoshi
Artist: Ashinano Hitoshi
Genres: Adventure AdventurePsychological PsychologicalSci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Living in the boonies, one must give great consideration to how they will get around when they turn 16. Isaki has just turned 16 and his choice of transportation is his neighbor's Piper Cub. It might be old, but it flies well. One day he decides to fly over the 2,000m-high Ogusu mountain range to see the tower his neighbor is always talking about. But for some reason his plane feels too heavy and is using fuel faster than planned. Will he make it to the airport or crash in the bushes? And just what was making the plane feel so heavy?

Originally a one-shot, but became a regular feature in Afternoon due to its popularity.
Go to Kabu no Isaki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Chapter 48: The Cub and Isaki {Spoilers} New Window xsirhc
  • 10 Replies
Topic Chapter 46: From the Roadside New Window wtrmute
  • 6 Replies
Topic Set in the YKK universe? New Window Archmage Lezard
  • 2 Replies

124 Comments

In the world of Kabu no Isaki, things are scaled up to 10x bigger, so the figure quoted (above 30,000m) is accurate for Fuji-san (3,776m).

30 km? Dude, Olympus Mons is 27 km high! There's something very wrong here!

Thanks a lot for the chapter!

Thanks Roselia.  A chapter of this makes Friday even better!  And yes, the 30,000 meter altitude Mt. Fuji is just a bit bigger than the 12,389 ft mountain I climbed when I was in the Marine Corps.

A question: is Izu = Mt Fuji?

Kabu.png

Good question!

In the above map, the Izu peninsula is in the west, Mt.Fuji is directly above Izu, and the Miura peninsula (where Kabu no Isaki and YKK are set) is in the East. So in Kabu c.34, Shiro-san is in Miura loking North-west across Sagami bay towards Mt.Fuji.

Two chapters in a week? I think we can do better than that... ;)

I love working on Kabu, it's one of my favorite series. But at the same time it makes me a little sad, because I'm nudging closer to the final chapter (C.48).

Well, all good things must come to an end! And when Ashinano-sensei brings out his next series, Roselia will of course be working on it.

tristanthorn

Roselia scans

Third chapter wowowo!!!! Thaaaaaannnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can fell your little sorrow. Yeah, all things have and end. Good ones, like this manga, and bad ones. 

A question: is Izu = Mt Fuji? 

This chapter echoes in my mind with this YKK's page: 

Spoiler

People who fly al the time (Isaki and co), people who walk all the time (in this case Shirosan). The point is that in both cases the character are travelling for pleasure (not work) and also certain apathy towards towards labour. It's much more evident in Shirosan, but her point keeps working through the whole manga: "When you fly this Cub of mine the destination and such... they're of secondary importance".

To me, Isaki is the adolescent who finds his way and discovers the life and a sense of liberty flying the cup. But Shirosan is the soul of the story. I love her.

Two chapters in a week? I think we can do better than that... ;)

I love working on Kabu, it's one of my favorite series. But at the same time it makes me a little sad, because I'm nudging closer to the final chapter (C.48).

Well, all good things must come to an end! And when Ashinano-sensei brings out his next series, Roselia will of course be working on it.

tristanthorn

Roselia scans

Yyaayyyyyy! Two chapters in this week is just ... !!! thanks a lot!

the same world as YKK i guess.

kajika x isaki......?

Actually, no.  YKK is set in our world in the future, when humanity has gone into decline.  This is set in an alternate world. where the world is much larger than it is here, which is why Mount Fuji's peak is above the atmosphere and everybody has to fly such long distances to get anywhere.  They both have a similar feeling though, being both largely empty worlds (with amazing scenery).

Thanks for the new chapter Roselia. This manga really soothes the soul.

the same world as YKK i guess.

kajika x isaki......?

Suddenly, I don't want them to get to the top of Mt Fuji. maybe I'm paranoid but I'm worried at what they'll find there...

Na, don't worry, nothing bad can happen in this manga! Certainly some beautiful mysterious landscape ~

Suddenly, I don't want them to get to the top of Mt Fuji. maybe I'm paranoid but I'm worried at what they'll find there...

Thank you Roselia!

Roselia, thanks for the new chapter.  I think I have enjoyed every chapter of everything Asinano Hitoshi has written.  There's just such a great feel about them.

So light and delicious.

Thanks a lot for the chapter!!! 

I wonder if that plane is actually alive?

YAY! Thank you for the new release! What would we do without you ? /_O_\

By the author of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou? INSTANT FOLLOW!!

Whoah, wait, an autopiloted plane? And a C-130 at that? This is a huge departure from the normal planes and not-so-futuristic environment we've seen up to now.

Cool.

Hello boys and girls

I'm the translator from Roselia.

I'm glad to you Kabu, it's a series close to my heart.

We'll try and release at least a chapter per week in future.

I just realised something...

Maybe the world isn't larger than normal but... the people are smaller than normal?!

Roselia,

Thanks for the two great chapters.  I'm just wondering, though, were the sound effects while they were in their futons Sayori snoring?  Doesn't really matter if I find out, I still love this manga. You guys (gals?) rock!

Damn, I don't know what it is about the manga of Ashinano Hitoshi, but they always keep me coming back for every single update. The setting is always slightly surreal, and the characters are so realistic and identifiable (if that is the correct way to describe characters I can believe in). I really love this mangaka's works and can hardly wait for the next chapter. Keep it up, Roselia Scanlations, you do a fantastic job with a fantastic manga.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics