Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 274votes)

3-gatsu no Lion

Alt Names: alt 3月のライオンalt March Comes in Like a Lionalt Sangatsu no Lionalt Un marzo da leonialt Мартовский лев
Author: Umino Chica
Artist: Umino Chica
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kiriyama Rei is a 17 year old professional shogi player and very good at it, but in real life, he has nothing. Quiet and not very social, Rei has no family, no friends, and he doesn't go to school. He is acquainted with a neighboring woman named Akari who is single-handedly raising her two younger sisters, Momo and Hinata.
This is a slice-of-life-ish seinen manga, with strong monologues and reflections by Rei.

Nominated for the 2nd Manga Taisho Award (2009) and the 4th Manga Taisho Award (2011). Winner of the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga with Uchuu Kyoudai
Go to 3-gatsu no Lion Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed 3-gatsu no Lion New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic Who do you want Akari to end up with? New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 20 Replies
Topic Episodes Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 9 Replies
Topic Spoilers thread New Window RaRaRasputin
  • 10 Replies
Topic Almost in a Class of its' Own New Window Comadrin
  • 36 Replies
Topic Made a TV Tropes page for this series New Window Vance Finiraldi
  • 4 Replies

614 Comments

Well, that was unexpected.
Spoiler
Thanks guys, for the new chapter. This is a real favorite of mine.
what a magnificient villain.
I need more of this manga!! Give me mooooooore~
I'm with Comadrin, although my suspicion would be that whatever the sister did to him, while "rape" wouldn't be a false term for it, the way it worked out would have been more subtle and manipulative than the overt force we think of when we think "rape".
I see his journey as a character overall as being to a fair extent about growing past and freeing himself from all the negative stuff haunting him from his upbringing, whether from the dad, the sister, internal demons . . . and that family is helping him find a new positive model for relationships and, I dunno, how to live emotionally. So I'd disagree with Recently--I think no way no how is he going to have a romance with his sister. I like the idea of him getting together with Akari, sometime.
the chapters are sooo short. thank you Be With You Scans & SCX-Scans for translating this manga.
oh now he have younger sister??
Wow. Never thought that Gotou is shogi pro.
sweet, thx for the update. btw i looked the raws and no romance so far (vol 6). but yes, he has a crush on her sister and her is just a bitch xD
Even if Gotou and Kyouko end up being not as bad as they've appeared to be thus far, the sick feeling in my stomach they've given me is going to take some hell of a redemption to get rid of.

Also; dammit, cliffhanger!
In terms of romance, there's not really any. If any does occur in the future, its most likely going to be with his older sister (its strongly hinted that he has a crush on her, and she is the reason he left the house in the first place).

The gotou guy isn't that bad also, more about him gets cleared up in vol 5 i think.
Oh, um, sorry... I forgot the point of discussion was who, if anyone, Rei was going to have romance with. Not only is there no romance tag on the genre classifications, I haven't yet seen any indication that Rei is thinking about it at all. Having had a pretty traumatic past for some years, he is busily sorting himself out, while simultaneously attending school and practicing (as pointed out, like a professional athlete) for his shougi matches. Romance may come to him, but I think that right now, the warmth of family life with the sisters and their Grandfather is far more important to him. Also, his experience with the sadistic "sister" probably stunted his growth in that department, if I am interpreting what happened with her correctly.
Jpitt7719.

Looking back at that chapter (and given the "sister's" character, four year age difference, and the fact that Rei is not physically strong) it looked a great deal more to me as though she raped him. It would also account for her yakuza-like boyfriend beating him up. The "sister" seems to be person almost entirely motivated by her emotions, mainly the negative ones. She is also entirely manipulative. It is a scary combination. If it was just that she was angry and hurt from her father favoring Rei it would be one thing, but in the very beginning, she was taunting him with being unloved and unwanted just after the death of his family. Pretty nasty, twisted character, imho.
Jpit7719--Well, as BowlofNoodles points out, this is by the author of "Honey and Clover". So basically we have no way of knowing who he'll have a romance with if anyone. We can only live in hope.
Okay did he have sex with his sister and who is he going to have romance with akira or someone else
Oh glad I stumbled upon this. Also from the same author as clover! Even better! Great story and I like how a little part is introduced slowly. Things don't feel rushed and it makes you want to know more. Love that it's told through Rei, it's like unraveling a mystery box.

Other than that, hoping for a little romance. Rei and Akira please!
Awww, what a nice chapter. Thanks for the update!
yeah, thx for the new chapter
Wow an update! Must be lucky day.
Oh my God, an update...it's Christmas already?! Thank you for the early presents Be With You Scans!!
I love the story... God, I love fanservice in here too.
Oh my god...I've been looking for this forever. So good.
No, not really. But it's still good.
Read this once, read this once more. Very deep and emotional story, holding a sense of mystery as it progresses.
What!? No! Wait! There has to be more!
I CANNOT wait for the next chapter.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics