Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.62 - 21votes)

Sabu to Ichi Torimonohikae

Alt Names: alt 佐武と市捕物控alt Sabu & Ichi's Arrest Warrantalt Sabu and Ichi Torimonohikaealt Sabu and Ichi's Detective Storiesalt Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae
Author: Ishinomori Shotaro
Artist: Ishinomori Shotaro
Genres: Action ActionAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalMystery MysterySeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The series follows the adventures of Sabu, a young Edo bakufu investigator, aided by the blind master swordsman Ichi. They deal with a wild variety of macabre mysteries and sordid crimes. Sabu is engaged to Midori, the daughter of his boss, who works as a police officer for the Tokugawa shogunate. The situations they deal with often shine a mournful and cynical light on the human condition, but the staunch friendship between Sabu and Ichi helps them cope. The manga gives a strong portrait of life in Tokugawa Edo, enhanced by the artwork which draws on Japanese traditional art.

This series won the 1968 Shogakukan Manga Award.
Go to Sabu to Ichi Torimonohikae Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Comadrin
  • 18 Replies

74 Comments

Really nice chapter.  Thanks, Hokuto no Gun & HappyScans.  Reading a new chapter of this manga makes me go read some Lafcadio Hearn or look at some Hokusai/Hiroshige art books.  

Same here.  This chapter has me wondering.  Also, yeah, she is pretty hot.

Okay, I'm mystified.  Who or what was that gorgeous half-nude woman shading herself with a giant leaf, korobokkuru style?

Yes. The art style makes it timeless--rather than seeming old, if anything it still feels innovative. For me, it also somehow makes the sudden flashes of sensuality seem more erotic.
The style of the storytelling makes me wonder if the writer of "Usagi Yojimbo" (not a manga as such, a western comic book of sorts about a version of old Japan) had read this.

Quite probably.  Sakai is quite a fan of such things.  More than the art, I would say the episodic nature and well researched period make more connections.  Plus, they both have a version of Zatoichi! ;)  (Zatoino in UY, blind masseur swords-pig.)

Good stuff, glad I stumbled upon it.  Thanks, Hokuto no Gun & HappyScans!

Not a continuation, but 37--wow what a chapter.  Get the feeling the mangaka is kind of pushing against the limitations of the episodic conventions he was working in?

Thanks scanlators!

This last chapter (36) was a really nice one, not totally dark at all, and we got to see Ichi in his indulgent uncle role.  Unlike the other chapters I remember, this one has a possible continuation (the vengeful, crooked superior may still come back for Suzu's father). If it's a two-parter, I look forward to Ichi putting the katana whup on the scumbag (about the same type weasel we find in positions of authority today, as well as in the Edo period!).

The new description is much better.  Thanks.  

I'm not sure how I missed this one before.  It is amazing, and the scanlators are saints for bringing it to us.

Thanks a lot to scanlators. And the Ichi's talk about who was using whom in this chapter give me plenty of laugh :)

Thanks Hokuto no Gun & Happy Scans!  This may not have the following it deserves here, but those of us who are into it definitely appreciate.

That was an oddly cheerful chapter.  I mean, for something about digging up the bones of the dead and parricide.

Thanks, scanlators, for a great new chapter.

Thanks Hokuto no Gun & HappyScans! ^^
The latest culprit was an odd mirror of Ichi--
Spoiler
I thought about it again, and the description sounds more like Mito Komon. At the same time, the manga is nothing like that.
Yes, you're right. I don't think the two mc's have gone more than a day's journey from home yet.
Thanks, Hokuto no Gun & Happy Scans, for the new chapter. I really enjoy this manga. Not for those who worship the most popular shounen and shoujo titles, but a great read with fascinating art.
Something odd--the description talks about their "travels" but actually, they seem to be staying put in fairly settled homes.
Anyway, always nice to see a chapter of this and they've been coming quite quickly. Thanks Hokuto no Gun and HappyScans!
I've noticed the weather is almost a character in its own right. It influences the plot, it creates atmosphere, it blends with the themes, sometimes it almost seems to drive the action, push characters over the edge into crime. The storm, the north wind, the snow, the rain . . .
Kinda cool.
Vintage, I like.
Really, the whole thing is pretty dark. The crimes, mostly murders, always reveal the seamy undersides of people's motivations--often not just the criminal's, but those of the people surrounding the crime as well.
Damn. Pretty unpleasant chapter. It makes me think of the Judge Dee stories from medieval China. Sure are some unpleasant crimes committed. Just have to read the news.
Yes. The art style makes it timeless--rather than seeming old, if anything it still feels innovative. For me, it also somehow makes the sudden flashes of sensuality seem more erotic.
The style of the storytelling makes me wonder if the writer of "Usagi Yojimbo" (not a manga as such, a western comic book of sorts about a version of old Japan) had read this.
Old manga, but very well done. The story is good, and the art is particularly interesting. This is the first manga I have read where much of the art is in the style of Hiroshige and Hokusai. I look forward to more chapters. Thank you, scanlators.
very good manga
investigationd and historical adventures

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics