Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 504votes)

Vinland Saga

Alt Names: alt ヴィンランド・サガalt ملحمة فينلاندalt Vinland Destanıalt 海盜戰記alt حماسه وینلند
Author: Yukimura Makoto
Artist: Yukimura Makoto
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalPsychological PsychologicalSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Thorfinn is son to one of the Vikings’ greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears to have his revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd’s band in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

Won the 13th Japan Media Arts Award Grand Prize in the Manga division.
Won the 36th Kodansha Manga Award for Best General Manga.
Go to Vinland Saga Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Current chapter discussion New Window Weaper
  • 32 Replies
Topic There is no icelandic version? How ironic. New Window phantimon
  • 3 Replies
Topic High speed crossbow New Window Lfan8
  • 2 Replies
Topic Similar or different, Hild verses Past thorfinn New Window truepurple
  • 4 Replies
Topic Vinland Saga english translators New Window fkgamer
  • 1 Replies

1733 Comments

Askegod.
THORFINN DO SOMETHING AWESOME
@Wolfdietrich No, you're not alone in this. I was also often very reminded of Cornwell's story about Uhtred and the Danish invasion of Britain. It'll be even harder to wait for the remaining books than to wait for the chapters of Vinland Saga...
damned, i want vinland saga back, not this farmland saga shit that's been going on forever
such slow development really irks me. i demand action! PLENTY OF ACTION!!
This manga is Good very mature and more realistic...
That's why i liked Vinland Saga so much..

In Vinland Saga, the author started to describe wars, though obviously some silliness, to get away from the usual "action manga for kids", he has tried to stick to a believable realism involving both middle age era warrior's lives and the various political intrigues that manipulate them.

But instead of basing his story only on this like most manga writers would have done, he then had the brillance of changing the direction of his story at some point and show the readers in depth what are truly the impact and the consequences of those wars and greed for power.

And that by focusing now the story directly on this, on the suffering of the civilians, the horrors of slavery, the death of innocents, all of what are the result of those wars waged by greedy leaders.

Vinland Saga is a masterpiece.
man this manga turned into such master and servant drama. Read this along with Bersker long ago, Berserk keeps getting better and better, but this is just disappointing >_>
Viking fights, boat fights, siege battles, and HORSE PUNCHING.... and now.... wood chopping,cooking, and self pity. I'm not saying what it is now is bad... just, what it started out as, was what got me hooked on this manga in the first place. I miss those times.
This is so fustratingly slow that I'm contemplating on sacrificing someone to the Gods to speed up the plot.
I love this series, but I think the release speed is driving me insane. Its a series meant to be read one chapter right after the other, builds the dramatic strength of the story. Reading it one chapter per month is like chinese water torture.
I really do wish they would come out with the new chapter already :/
wow this is a good manga
to bad i reached the last chapter
Duuudes have hope! Snake just defeated someone without killing! e_e
Battousai will probably take a hint xD
I agree with most of you guys. The first 54 chapters were great. I even consider it as one of the best manga. However, after that the plot is moving too slowly. Is this really supposed to be a battle manga? And what's worse is that one of my favorite characters (Thorkell) has only been shown once (Snake, Ulf, or Thorgil can't humor me).

This year (2012), if Thorfinn and Cnut wont meet eye-to-eye, I think I'm going to drop this.
20 pages a month... dammit this manga is frustratingly slow.
It's really frustating when they make both sides justified, now how the hell can Thorfinn as a slave, choose? D:
Never before have I wanted to be a farmer in all my life.
I really liked the farmland bit. It provided a nice overview of everyday life in contrast to the warrior life. It made Thorfinn human because he also do mundane tasks that all humans do. It is as if he really existed in history.

On the other hand, a lot of mangas never even show their protagonist eating, sleeping, or their everyday life. All you read about is their fights and heroic exploits. You can't relate to those inhuman characters.

Studio Ghibli is excellent at this. They blend fantasy with everyday living really well and make the world alive.
Vinland Saga is one of the best mangas I've read so far.
many of the popular comics are showing pathtic performance lately and vinland saga is one among them
how long is he planning to say as a slave damit?? plowing lands and chopping wood....wtf????
i guess he is not going to kill any one any more but still being a slave and wasting so many years is not cool
he should go meet his mother and sister or atleast get a women for himself
reading 77 chapters in 1 day and waiting 2 months for 2 chapters. damn ongoing ones suck
no matter how many times i read vinland saga...it feels so damn similar to Bernard Cornwells "Saxon Stories" o_O"
am i the only one that feels this way...?
    • pie likes this
I thought vinland saga was more about the story than gore and so on. Its more like a piece of literature, rather than a comic.
Holy shit... Shit is going to go down now (in a month...)!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics