Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 220votes)

Shut Hell

Alt Names: alt Akuryou - Shutoherualt 西夏恶灵alt 슈토헬alt Shuto Herualt Shutohelalt The Evil One - Shutohelalt 悪霊 シュトヘル
Author: Itoh Yu
Artist: Itoh Yu
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderHistorical HistoricalPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Beginning of the 13th century.
In the days of old existed a woman warrior named Shut Hell, the Evil One, feared even by the Mongols, said to be the strongest army in history.
At first, she was just a normal Tangut soldier, but after coming close to death so many times she found in herself a superhuman strength.
On the other side, a young Mongol prince, Yurul, is fascinated by the Tangut, his enemies', writings and is worried for the future....

Won the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize (New Creator) in 2012.
Go to Shut Hell Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Shut hell released chapter discussion New Window truepurple
  • 1 Replies
Topic Spoilers topic New Window Sudo-kun
  • 3 Replies

332 Comments

Some are able to convince each other of righteousness in their ill beliefs, when gathered in large numbers... disgusting...

not some a whole lot more...don't make it sound so nicer than what it is :(

Not sure if it counts as a spoiler, but my comment's in white below this just in case.

The hair grew back oddly quick...

This manga was good up until chapter 22, then it sort of dies with the original shut hell.

I think you're jumping the gun.

Especially since such a pithy analogy is dangling right there if you make that conclusion.

And this is why I don't like Christianity. Or most other religions for that matter. 

*tips fedora*

Some are able to convince each other of righteousness in their ill beliefs, when gathered in large numbers... disgusting...

And this is why I don't like Christianity. Or most other religions for that matter. 

lol, this is why i don't like people

I like sodou but I miss shut hell, I was really enjoying watching her character growth and her forming bond with yurul.

I personally agree with you there. This manga is an attempt at mixing two genres which we normally do not see together,  and so far from reading upto the latest chapter it is getting much more exciting, ahhhh....if only i can read japanese i would be reading the raws now....shame, for shame. Anyways I do however have a feeling that Sudo is actually just a decoy protagonist, with shutheru being the real main character of the story, just in a pseudo state.....I dont know why i feel that but I just do.....anyways I cannot wait for the next chapter release. 'Thanks to Happy Scans' and 'Manga at the end of time' for picking this up!

I really can't wait to read new chapters! Have to wait 10 or more days is a eternity!About reading raws, You dont need to know japanese if you want a crude translation, you can use SmartOCR or another program to scan the japanese characters and copy paste on google or excite translators, even translators like that can give a brief idea of what is happening.

One tip: You can read the Lastest raw chapters on sukuyomi.jp

Chapters 55 and 56 (newest)

(http://goo.gl/KMZ8BV)

@Fizanko @Heretic I Don't gree with you guys, say that just reading the first 20 chapters is too early to say that! The story STARTED with sudo and Suzuky, don't you guys remember?  we still need to know shutheru and sudo's relation, He has a very important role in the story (if you check the following volume raws, you will know it). One of the reasons I read this manga, is because of the gender bender+fighting/violence theme, witch makes Shutoheru very special! It's common to gender benders to be set in the present with school life background and read one with a historical/fighting  one make Shutoheru very interesting.     

I personally agree with you there. This manga is an attempt at mixing two genres which we normally do not see together,  and so far from reading upto the latest chapter it is getting much more exciting, ahhhh....if only i can read japanese i would be reading the raws now....shame, for shame. Anyways I do however have a feeling that Sudo is actually just a decoy protagonist, with shutheru being the real main character of the story, just in a pseudo state.....I dont know why i feel that but I just do.....anyways I cannot wait for the next chapter release. 'Thanks to Happy Scans' and 'Manga at the end of time' for picking this up!

@Fizanko @Heretic I Don't gree with you guys, say that just reading the first 20 chapters is too early to say that! The story STARTED with sudo and Suzuky, don't you guys remember?  we still need to know shutheru and sudo's relation, He has a very important role in the story (if you check the following volume raws, you will know it). One of the reasons I read this manga, is because of the gender bender+fighting/violence theme, witch makes Shutoheru very special! It's common to gender benders to be set in the present with school life background and read one with a historical/fighting  one make Shutoheru very interesting.     

To me the story of Shut Hell and Yurul, the semi historical context, the characters own motivations, their interactions, and the plot itself were completely sufficient in sustaining the whole book. I really liked it when the story was all about these.

This fantasy/reincarnation element that we saw in chapter 1 and started to get really forced into the story at chapter 20 and following simply feel unecessary to the story and its flow.

This manga was good up until chapter 22, then it sort of dies with the original shut hell.

Alunge probably only exists to complicate a simple matter later (and then die for his troubles), but I still can't help think he really needs to take the hint and retreat into the safety of being a faceless extra.

Thanks for the update! I've been anxious about what happens to Sudoh and Yurul.

mmm i dont know how this litle gem escaped  , is so god the begining(first chapter) reminded me of historie

Saw the update, wondered: "What kind of weird and probably stupid manga is this?"

Apparently, there's a reason why you shouldn't judge a book by it's title... it's freaking awesome.

Thanks to HappyScans and Manga At The End of Time for picking it up, and a very belated thanks to Milky Translation for doing the first volumes as well.

I've been waiting for a new chapter to be updated for over two years... Thank you Happy Scans and Manga at the End of Time!

Saw the update, I can only hope it will be continued. 

I saw the title as Silent Hill...

Heh, nice to see some updates... going through my 'followed' list and thinking "I subscribed to something called Shut Hell?" and remembering how good this was. Thanks!

I hope with you.

lets hope together

Oh my god, an update. For...an already-released chapter, but still. Should I hope?

I hope with you.

Oh my god, an update. For...an already-released chapter, but still. Should I hope?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics