Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.68 - 81votes)

Touhou Ibarakasen ~ Wild and Horned Hermit.

Alt Names: alt Eastern Thorned Poet Hermitalt Touhou Ibarakasen - Wild and Horned Hermit.alt Touhou Ibarakasen: Wild and Horned Hermit.alt WaHHalt 東方茨歌仙 ~ Wild and Horned Hermit.
Author: Zun
Artist: Azuma Aya
Genres: Comedy ComedyFantasy FantasySlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Continuing in the Touhou series, this one follows the footsteps of Silent Sinner in Blue, Inaba of the Moon & Inaba of the Earth, and the Sangetsusei trilogy.

This time, Marisa comes across a mysterious hermit outside the Human Village. However, as she tells Reimu about her, the hermit is seen sneaking around the Hakurei Shrine. She's Ibara Kasen, a strange, bandaged ascetic of unknown nature and ability who's far more aware of them and Gensoukyou than either realizes.
Go to Touhou Ibarakasen ~ Wild and Horned Hermit. Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

112 Comments

Kogasa is a blacksmith? What a surprise.

It was in the original design. Even the geta she wears are for this reason.

The single leg and eye makes it resemble a fiendish youkai called the Ippon Datara. It is said that this youkai kidnaps humans that are lost in the mountains, then does things like kill them or taking them into its group. The design of the umbrella is thought to have been modified to be based on this youkai(*3). Needless to say, it looks even more comical due to this.
3: It's presumed that her name is also derived from it.

- Hieda no Akyuu, Symposium of Post-mysticism

Kogasa is a blacksmith? What a surprise.

Kogasa just can't catch a break.

Thank you for picking up this series. I love it so much!!!!

Latest Chapter:

Spoiler
Great a new chapter.... oh its event before.... wait i cant spoil it

Started reading Nature Deities and noticed Marisa DAZEing more often (nearly every time she appears) that here (almost never).

Is it because she changed her habits, because of translation or Kasen is to blame again?

Some translators pick work for other criteria than 'would it be popular'. Groups who translate because they like a genre, to practice their skills, to share a work they think should be known world-wide... those still exist.

The people who have some understanding about Japanese myths may be small in numbers in the western world, but it isn't wrong to assume that among touhou fans- the target audience of those mangas- their percentage is uncompromising.

So the fact that such works don't get much attention isn't due to overuse of cultural refs, but because the touhou boom has shrinked enough that there aren't enough translators that care to work on the mangas.

Spoiler

Who said anything about 'popular'?

The fact that you're pulling in completely and utterly unrelated factors into the discussion shows how grossly idiotic your entire argument is. (The "Touhou boom"? What is THAT?)

Because translators can pick from dozens/hundreds of projects to choose from, while non-translators/non-Japanese readers can only pick from what translators have already chosen. 

Theres no point in translating a manga thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation, when they can pick an easier/better manga that isn't thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation.

Some translators pick work for other criteria than 'would it be popular'. Groups who translate because they like a genre, to practice their skills, to share a work they think should be known world-wide... those still exist.

The people who have some understanding about Japanese myths may be small in numbers in the western world, but it isn't wrong to assume that among touhou fans- the target audience of those mangas- their percentage is uncompromising.

So the fact that such works don't get much attention isn't due to overuse of cultural refs, but because the touhou boom has shrinked enough that there aren't enough translators that care to work on the mangas.

Spoiler

I don't get why " thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation" = "aren't very good".

The translators find it difficult to translate thus feeling reluctant, yes, I can see. But that's no reason to call them "not very good". 

Because translators can pick from dozens/hundreds of projects to choose from, while non-translators/non-Japanese readers can only pick from what translators have already chosen. 

Theres no point in translating a manga thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation, when they can pick an easier/better manga that isn't thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation.

Well ... we still don't know anything in particular about what her special abilities actually is ... or if she is suffering from things like curses and the like that might influence what she's able to do/that affects others around her ... there're several minor things she's able to do, but that might simply be stuff she learned or due to supernatural tools she acquired over however many the course of several hundred years; compared to several other characters, she keeps learning and collecting new things, after all, instead of fooling around ... I guess in terms of plot impact, she might be another take on all around plot breaking characters who're also walking the road of the sage (like, for example, Eirin), who're so skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and all-around powerful that they should be able to resolve most situations that don't involve high level hax.

Ya know I originally wrote that as a joke cause I haven't really been a fan of how the series kinda portrays everyone who's not Kasen as an idiot but when I stop to think about it I realized the only one of her possessions that has been 100% clearly identified is her medicine box. An item which has a positive effect on the body (revivalists and heals) but a negative effect on the mind (you gain an Oni personality making you act aggressive and idiotic, or if you use it on actual wounds flat out turns you into an Oni). So it's helpful in the short term but has harmful long term effects.

If we're following my silly crack theory of Kasen having a stupid aura this really does reflect the effect Kasen herself has on Reimu. Kasen can fix her short terms problems but her presence really does seems to inflate all of her negative traits making her act excessively greedy and self centered (one chapter Kasen deliberately does this to win a bet against Reimu by goading her on). 

I feel like I need to compare depictions just to have a proper citation on how stupid Reimu can get here compared to other manga. I think the pipe fox chapter really is the best for this.

Spoiler

I have a theory that Kasen's presence actively drains the intelligence of the people around her and inflates their negative traits. Everywhere she goes people are all completely negative like that one restaurant she visited. The only character who's dignity has survived so far is Yukari because she has boundry hax so she's immune to Kasen's idiot aura. Oh and Remilia because everything she does is filled to the brim with CHARISMA even hating setsubun.

Well ... we still don't know anything in particular about what her special abilities actually is ... or if she is suffering from things like curses and the like that might influence what she's able to do/that affects others around her ... there're several minor things she's able to do, but that might simply be stuff she learned or due to supernatural tools she acquired over however many the course of several hundred years; compared to several other characters, she keeps learning and collecting new things, after all, instead of fooling around ... I guess in terms of plot impact, she might be another take on all around plot breaking characters who're also walking the road of the sage (like, for example, Eirin), who're so skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and all-around powerful that they should be able to resolve most situations that don't involve high level hax.

Ya know this might just be a coincidence but the one time Kasen stops visiting the shrine for a significant portion of time Reimu is able to quickly and easily identify the problem and work to resolve the incident.

Every other chapter has shown Reimu to be excessively greedy, short sighted, and self centered to the point that it borders on parody. But the one incident where Kasen isn't nagging Reimu's ear off she's shown to be observant and cares about both her job and the safety of the human village (without the over the top zelousness of previous chapters).

I have a theory that Kasen's presence actively drains the intelligence of the people around her and inflates their negative traits. Everywhere she goes people are all completely negative like that one restaurant she visited. The only character who's dignity has survived so far is Yukari because she has boundry hax so she's immune to Kasen's idiot aura. Oh and Remilia because everything she does is filled to the brim with CHARISMA even hating setsubun.

To be fair, though, some of these "incidents" Kasen deals with (most of which are minor, anyway) simply boil down to Kasen cleaning up some kind of mess she caused herself, while when Reimu fails to get the job done it usually isn't directly connected to youkai extermination/isn't something that can be resolved through Youkai extermination (i.e. violence) or is either due lack of knowledge on Reimus part (although her knowledge in regard to youkai extermination is excellent, her grasp of some cultural, mythological, intellectual and technological concepts appears to be quite bad, i.e. she's somewhat ignorant of them ... which obviously isn't surprising at all) in general or because someone - like Kasen herself - is intentionally preventing information from leaking towards her ... or it's because Reimu is distracted by her own vices (greed and lazyness, among others).

As those "incidents" usually aren't something along the line of that Gensoukyou might face destruction, there's no need for Reimu to get serious, either.

In addition ...

Spoiler

The more I read this one, the more I find Reimu's incompetence odd. I mean yeah, Reimu being poor is a an on-going joke, but constantly having Kasen clear up her mess all the time over supernatural incidence (aka the thing Reimu is supposed ot be good at) is just so dame dame that she might as well be an honorary member of Milky Holmes.

Of the current official manga, I think I prefer Forbidden Scrollery more. 

Soooooooooo...

Is it done?

Like, no more chapters?

Oh Reimu...

"Moonlit night Miko Reimu,
even though you're weird,
Moonlit night Miko Reimu,
we all love you"

Because the official mangas aren't very good. They're thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation.

I don't get why " thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation" = "aren't very good".

The translators find it difficult to translate thus feeling reluctant, yes, I can see. But that's no reason to call them "not very good". 

She hides her horns in her hairbuns.

Isn't futomaki what Remilia ate in the section about setsubun in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red? 

So Kasen really is

Spoiler

Yeah. I guess it has finally been confirmed through this chapter.

Because the official mangas aren't very good. They're thick with Japanese cultural/social references which makes them difficult to translate and not very fun to read since so much is lost in translation.

Despite all that stuff that's been lost in translation, they're still either reasonably pleasant or at least decent to read.

D-do your job Meiling!

So Kasen really is

Spoiler

Why the hell there are people who translate a lot of doujins but no translate the oficial mangas!?

I want see the Cap 21 there a lot of time and no one have done it yet.

Why the hell there are people who translate a lot of doujins but no translate the oficial mangas!?

I want see the Cap 21 there a lot of time and no one have done it yet.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics