Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.5 - 78votes)

Red Sprite

Alt Names: alt レッドスプライト
Author: Yagi Tomohiro
Artist: Yagi Tomohiro
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureFantasy FantasySci-fi Sci-fiShounen ShounenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Everything starts at a remote region of the Edenia Kingdom in the small abandoned Cathedral's Orphanage...
Go to Red Sprite Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

130 Comments

another kochikame reference for the list

this chapter was pretty plain, but it's introducing some chapters and showing more of the horrible power of the leader.

Is it just me or does the plot feel kind of... cheap in some respects?

Like the author doesn't try very hard to establish interesting characters beyond basic "bad guy" and "good guy" roles, and even those are established in a rather cliche way. I know, shounen manga, but I don't think that works very well as an excuse.

This chapter, too. Enemy leader is worse than Hitler and kills his own subordinates. New airship antagonist established as super evil within one page and we should totally feel good about him getting killed next chapter.

I'm still reading though, because I think the setting is kind of interesting.

Eh, having only 4 chapters out tend to do that.  Give it time and maybe something more will occur

Is it just me or does the plot feel kind of... cheap in some respects?

Like the author doesn't try very hard to establish interesting characters beyond basic "bad guy" and "good guy" roles, and even those are established in a rather cliche way. I know, shounen manga, but I don't think that works very well as an excuse.

This chapter, too. Enemy leader is worse than Hitler and kills his own subordinates. New airship antagonist established as super evil within one page and we should totally feel good about him getting killed next chapter.

I'm still reading though, because I think the setting is kind of interesting.

[...] Plus he has seemingly insane power already. I hope he learns a bunch of cool techniques and it's not just about who is faster and stronger.

Whereas I'm hoping desperately for little things like plot and emotional depth, and have no real hopes for the action beyond what it might do to serve those ends.

Although, those electrical hand-contact things are pretty neat...

[...] the same one dimensional characters like those from Iron Knight, i doubt it will stay for long in WSJ.

While Iron Knight had it's flaws (and I've only read two-thirds of it), I would have said that the characters were reasonably emotionally believable.

What I did feel Yagi had a bit of trouble with--both then and now--is pacing. I feel like some bits in these first few chapters were fast-forwarded through as gracelessly as possible--glossing over what should be important moments, or having terse plot-summary in really weird-places.

Spoiler

wasn't really feeling it but chapter 3 got my attention

Same here. My interest is finally starting to increase. But I don't really know where it's going to go. Protagonist is, so far, a flat character even by shonen standards. Plus he has seemingly insane power already. I hope he learns a bunch of cool techniques and it's not just about who is faster and stronger.
What is going on with the girl's neck-rag? I understand that it is worn down due to her circumstances, however it looks like a bib. Oh well, it isn't like it matters. I just thought it looked kind of funny.

you guys know the guy in sousei no onmyouji that used the be  the mc's best friend then he back stabbed him by sacrificing everyone at the orphanage? im getting that kind of vibe from the guy he just  saved either that or i wish that he's  actually a girl. i just have a sketchy feeling from him. 

I don't know man, he seems too weak-willed and has such low self-esteem to actually back-stabbed anybody, even if he's forced to do it by the bad guys, i'm sure he will end up breaking down crying in the end.

And yeah, i also seriously hope he's actually a girl. I mean...

Spoiler

First panel, if he's no female then that is one damn fine of a trap's back.

you guys know the guy in sousei no onmyouji that used the be  the mc's best friend then he back stabbed him by sacrificing everyone at the orphanage? im getting that kind of vibe from the guy he just  saved either that or i wish that he's  actually a girl. i just have a sketchy feeling from him. 

and still doesn't change of what basket said, "that's how they see gaijins", this guy is just a random white dictator, it's just you that is seeing trump there.

and the biggest question, how do you see him in david atlas?? this guy screams general from the military that rose to power.

Ok, i stand corrected, after closer inspection i do not see any similarities between those two great leaders. Forgive my impudence.

BTW: it's Bastek, not Basket

Oh man, this kid's great.  It's like the author realizes how chunni this all is and instead of toning it down he steps on the throttle.

You should read Iron Knight, it's even worse. But hey, they are kids.

wasn't really feeling it but chapter 3 got my attention

Oh, thank you cpt. Obvious, doesn't change the fact that he was know years before shitstorm called his campaign AND similarity between him and random westerner in manga.

and still doesn't change of what basket said, "that's how they see gaijins", this guy is just a random white dictator, it's just you that is seeing trump there.

and the biggest question, how do you see him in david atlas?? this guy screams general from the military that rose to power.

Oh man, this kid's great.  It's like the author realizes how chunni this all is and instead of toning it down he steps on the throttle.

• PNG likes this

That's just how Japanese see gaijins. It was long ago before Trump started his campaign.

Oh, thank you cpt. Obvious, doesn't change the fact that he was know years before shitstorm called his campaign AND similarity between him and random westerner in manga.

Seriously? Another Trump look-alike dictator?

That's just how Japanese see gaijins. It was long ago before Trump started his campaign.

Seriously? Another Trump look-alike dictator?

Not going to argue it would take too much time. I'll only give a different history of flight lesson: There was that guy called Cayley, he lived in XVIII and XIX century which fits perfectly this story time-line. Read about him.

If Cayley had lived in a world where people could already fly, he'd probably work on something less redundant.

Since we're wildly speculating about technological progression on magical worlds, I'd randomly guess...optics.

Yep, that's Iron Knight's author alright. I wonder if the Jump readership is going to be any more interested in this one, lol.

That's the thing, it's not an excessive power.

Spoiler
But sure, let's wait for  another chapter, but seeing author's previous work i doubt he did his science homework properly this time...

Authors rarely do science homework unless they have a personal interest in it, or it's absolutely necessary. And even then...

Well, kids with lightning powers mean that I'm in. A plus that it's drawn by the guy who did Iron Knight. No matter how good I thought it was executed, the slow start and lack  of main characters are probably what killed that series. Glad to see that he's jumping right into the action this time.

I was going to completely write this off, but gave it a chance because the art looked familiar. Man I'm glad I read it. And turns out that the reason the art was familiar is because it was done by the same person who did Iron Knight, which I loved. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

The shape of the airship is pretty much a wingless WWII-era heavy bomber or cargo plane, which are all heavy and slow themselves. Being military crafts, they also require a lot of armor to not be shot out of the sky as easily as our bombers that cut down on their armor. Also, I don't think that their technology allows for very swift flight so streamlining won't help very much.

And a quick history of flight lesson: Before fixed-wing flying machines were invented, people unsuccessfully attempted to mimic bird flight, including the flapping, to disastrous results. Successful flight at that time involved balloon flight, which this world would have skipped straight from into the electromagnetic hover-tech.

Not going to argue it would take too much time. I'll only give a different history of flight lesson: There was that guy called Cayley, he lived in XVIII and XIX century which fits perfectly this story time-line. Read about him.

So instead of building proper planes they build heavy, slow, energy-hogging metal boxes... yup makes sense...

The shape of the airship is pretty much a wingless WWII-era heavy bomber or cargo plane, which are all heavy and slow themselves. Being military crafts, they also require a lot of armor to not be shot out of the sky as easily as our bombers that cut down on their armor. Also, I don't think that their technology allows for very swift flight so streamlining won't help very much.

And a quick history of flight lesson: Before fixed-wing flying machines were invented, people unsuccessfully attempted to mimic bird flight, including the flapping, to disastrous results. Successful flight at that time involved balloon flight, which this world would have skipped straight from into the electromagnetic hover-tech.

I meant relative to how powering flight developed in reality.  The amount of power generated (and the adaptability of that power) is on a much greater scale than a combustion engine, and they skipped right to that from having just steam power (and that mostly just for trains and the like) and horses.

Spoiler

If you've got the "excess energy" anyway... may as well go with armored blimps.  Besides, somehow I don't think they had the Wright brothers to help figure out how to make "proper planes" in this universe at the dawn of aviation, which accompanied with the leap in power supply could easily justify the different growth in design patterns.

Though I have no idea whether or not the author was thinking along these lines and not simply trying to fly it by on "Rule of Cool."

I suppose we'll find out.  Assuming we don't get too bored and stop reading or the manga gets cancelled.

Spoiler
But sure, let's wait for  another chapter, but seeing author's previous work i doubt he did his science homework properly this time...

action and yaoi, that is new... but this artist..
Did someone mess with the tags?

i think yes, no yaoi in WSJ project ^^

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics