Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * - - (2.8 - 76votes)

Hi no Maru Gaisen Otome

Alt Names: alt Rising Sun Campaign Maidenalt 日之丸街宣女子
Author: Okuda Ichika
Artist: Tomita Akiko
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The probably most controversial manga of the year 2015 that has had Leftists foaming at the mouth trying to shut it down:

The middle schooler Kanade gets dragged into a political demonstration by her conspiratard childhood friend Sou and discovers that not all is as it seems to be.
Go to Hi no Maru Gaisen Otome Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Keep the Political Arguments Here and Let the Rest of Us Enjoy the Picture Book New Window Superoni
  • 2 Replies

60 Comments

I am just loving this little space of the internet, thanks to this backwards propaganda material I was able to learn a lot about a kinda recent and dark part of our modern history and the people posting have expressed themselves in a clear and respectful way, if the rest of the internet or more like if the rest of the world were a little more like this, stuff like this manga probably would not even exist in the first place; so, even if sounds a little odd, thanks Hi no Maru Gaisen Otome for being a thing even if it is just to provoke positive reactions that debunk the very core argument of its negative message.

I'll go one at a time.

Spoiler

I only thought to give one side since I thought it'd be more interesting to present a side not often seen, as demonstrated by the comments preceeding mine. Of course, there are Japanese politicians who pander to their voters by engaging in dialogue about war crimes, and it does contribute to strained relations. However, their private opinions do not constitute government policy. Nor do they overwrite or cancel out previous official apologies given. I should also mention that I never really argued the veracity of the war crimes, merely the about the politics that have arisen over those events. As for that monument in New Jersey, I find shit like that quite cringe worthy because although the people building them have good intentions, it's quite obvious that the Japanese would see it as a provocation and a means to incite anti-Japanese sentiments. Rather than bring people together, it's caused controversy and divisions. The Japanese reaction was even more cringe worthy: sending diplomats to protest a statue built in some no name towns in New Jersey and California. I just wish everyone would fucking drop it, accept that not everyone's opinions are the same despite official stance being that the war crimes happened and Japan is sorry, and work together on building realistic sex robots. Imagine ordering a waifu online and sticking your dick in her. Fucking glorious. This is the stuff asia needs to work on, not historical arguments.

I think most reasonable people have the same sentiments as you, where Japanese apologies fall on deaf ears because Korean establishment is much more interested in a foreign enemy to scapegoat. Interestingly enough, most people debate the brutality of the Japanese colonization of Korea instead-- citing in comparison to Taiwan, which mentions both the good and bad, Korea only mentions the bad and fabricates even more evils. 

Cons: Unit 731, comfort women, annihilation of many cultural heritages and cultural genocide, the Kanto massacre, torture and violent riot suppression, forced labor, ect.

Pros: Explosive increase in population from 16 million to 25 million, indicating better living conditions and eventually becoming one of the most industrialized Asian countries.

I guess Japan didn't even treat its own citizens that well, no doubt many Koreans got similar poor treatment and worse. Japanese nationalists  says they had benevolent rule that was far better than native rulers and they helped Korea grow economically and culturally.... And they also kind of state that any libel from Korea is the result of Korea's historical revisionism. This goes to the point of denying comfort women and stating they were merely prostitutes, which is an extremely unpopular opinion. While Korean nationalists swings the opposite direction, stating that Japanese colonization was horribly brutal and oppressive beyond any means, an attempt to completely destroy the Korean identity and peoples. It's probably something in between in the end.

But ya, they should just agree on some shit, stop arguing, shake hands, then go boogeyman China instead.... who's actually a real threat and going to eventually steal their shit if they don't unite and resist Chinese influence. I've always had an unpopular view about cultural Darwinism-- I hope Japan culture doesn't get extinguished one day in the future, though. Then I will have to masturbate to actual Chinese cartoons.... that will truly be a tragedy. 

I wonder if Japan and Korea would be allies already if Japan didn't do all that fucked up shit and just blame it on, "lol it was war mb bro erryone is doing it". Regardless, a shitton of Koreans probably would have died regardless. Japanese folk forcing their own citizens to commit suicide rather than surrender, starving their soldiers for most of the war(Though, this can't be helped I guess? Both Germany and Japan wanted more living space and food), and eventually getting nuked twice before surrendering. 

Gotta stop with the honorable suicide culture and move on to the GLORIOUS AGE OF SEX ROBOT WAIFUS. It will usher in true peace

• God likes this

-snip-

I'll go one at a time.
Spoiler

That's only the short version by blaming the entirety of the dispute on Korea. You gloss over decades of brutal occupation, systematized rape, and wholesale attempted cultural genocide where Japan literally razed Korea's heritage to the ground ("but they built roads on the ashes," you object) and tried to snuff out its independent identity, language, and history. Your timeline for South Korea scapegoating everything on Japan after the North Korean threat abated and only then eliciting a hardline response in Japan doesn't align with Japan's much longer and continuing history of wholesale discrimination against and massacre of Zainichi Koreans. You insist that Korea is dredging up old history, but Japan is trying just as hard to bury it to this day with denialist textbooks, politicians, and diplomats downplaying it in places as far flung and exotic as New Jersey.

There is a lot that is accurate in your account, but it is fragmentary and one-sided.
I only thought to give one side since I thought it'd be more interesting to present a side not often seen, as demonstrated by the comments preceeding mine. Of course, there are Japanese politicians who pander to their voters by engaging in dialogue about war crimes, and it does contribute to strained relations. However, their private opinions do not constitute government policy. Nor do they overwrite or cancel out previous official apologies given. I should also mention that I never really argued the veracity of the war crimes, merely the about the politics that have arisen over those events.

As for that monument in New Jersey, I find shit like that quite cringe worthy because although the people building them have good intentions, it's quite obvious that the Japanese would see it as a provocation and a means to incite anti-Japanese sentiments. Rather than bring people together, it's caused controversy and divisions. The Japanese reaction was even more cringe worthy: sending diplomats to protest a statue built in some no name towns in New Jersey and California.

I just wish everyone would fucking drop it, accept that not everyone's opinions are the same despite official stance being that the war crimes happened and Japan is sorry, and work together on building realistic sex robots. Imagine ordering a waifu online and sticking your dick in her. Fucking glorious. This is the stuff asia needs to work on, not historical arguments.

Well, I say this as an ethnic Korean living in the US: You have to remove yourself a bit to really see the big picture. I agree generally with what you're saying, maybe with a few nitpick here and there.

Spoiler

I see, I see. What are the flaws in Korean education and workplace culture that you've mentioned a couple times now? I'm rather curious.

I see; I thought Japan culturally and economically revolutionized Korea when they colonized them, so they wouldn't be that horribly poor. Regardless, reparations were given, and I believe that a fund of 10 million or so was to be redistributed to South Korean comfort women once again in 2016? However, it seems that in every article I read about reparations, it always says that Japan is still "denying" the existence of Korean comfort women while giving them reparations, which I find odd. And most articles I read state that "Japan has never apologized for any war crimes" while there is an entire wiki-page dedicated to formal Japanese war crime apologies. Another thing that's often stated by Koreans that I wonder is true or not, is that Japanese textbooks never mention any of their nation's war crimes.(This is also a common complaint when people talk about U.S history education, but it's a blatant lie. I'm a 90s kid, and all the history books I've read demonized the United States quite a bit.. for fair reason, I guess.)

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the Japanese colonization of Korea? This is something I've read very little about, but it seems a bit contested. The vast majority of people say it was a time of horribly brutal oppression and Korea suffered, while a small minority say that it wasn't that bad and Korea benefited loads. The reasoning for this is that Korea ended up becoming one of the most industrialized Asian nations, didn't suffer many casualties like in other colonized areas when rebelling(600k in Philippines, 20-30m in Congo, ect) while Korea's uprising had a whopping 553 deaths. Apparently first President Syngman Rhee consolidating power(had to remove middle-upper class Koreans who integrated into Japanese society) is wildly blamed for anti-Japanese rhetoric, beginning with Japan stealing trees from Korea, to language, culture, property, ect and this paved the way for Japan becoming South Korea's boogeyman very far in the future. 

Then again, I'm not sure stating that Koreans fought for the IJN would be a plus since it's stated to also be a "War crime" in a sort. Forcing Korean men to work in Japanese factories, fight for the Japanese in their armies, and taking their women to be used as sex slaves. For a Korean, you seem to favor the Japanese narrative quite a bit. 

Iunno, history is difficult and I've never really had an interest. Creating narratives for facts with dubious context from multiple perspectives is shit. 

Edit: Regardless, the Japanese colonization of Korea issue is kind of a sensitive topic. Saying it wasn't "that brutal and a product of Korean historical revisionism" is probably akin to denying the Holocaust, Unit 731, comfort women, other genocides, ect. I'm guessing it's something in between, anyhow. 

Ha, so is this the Manga Kenkanryu of the 2010s? Weak trolling in the description.

Delicious liberal tears.

And yet the Liberals in Japan are the conservative party, comparable to the British Tories and American Republicans. This is what using labels as insults lead to, you look foolish when trying to apply the same terms to another country.

Not exactly. This reads like a list of all the netuyo memes. Next few chapters will probably be about things like intellectual property disputes, island disputes, the 2002 world cup, etc. Honestly, I can understand where they're coming from, but looking at it from a 3rd party perspective is more informative.

The simple rundown of it all is:

Spoiler

And yes, that's the short version.

That's only the short version by blaming the entirety of the dispute on Korea. You gloss over decades of brutal occupation, systematized rape, and wholesale attempted cultural genocide where Japan literally razed Korea's heritage to the ground ("but they built roads on the ashes," you object) and tried to snuff out its independent identity, language, and history. Your timeline for South Korea scapegoating everything on Japan after the North Korean threat abated and only then eliciting a hardline response in Japan doesn't align with Japan's much longer and continuing history of wholesale discrimination against and massacre of Zainichi Koreans. You insist that Korea is dredging up old history, but Japan is trying just as hard to bury it to this day with denialist textbooks, politicians, and diplomats downplaying it in places as far flung and exotic as New Jersey.

There is a lot that is accurate in your account, but it is fragmentary and one-sided.

Well, I am thankful that this manga was uploaded even if was just to see the cover of the manga, which has a pretty pretty art, and to read all the interesting (even if a little bit discouraging) information that you mention, I mean, if part of the population of two of the most advanced countries in the world can fall so easily in such demagoguery, then which hope there is to see some improvements in countries like mine, certainly a pretty worrisome situation.

I say this very confidently as an ethnic Korean: Our people are not meant to be politicians. Only the worst of us seem to go for the job. Maybe I'm being too cynical, though.

Spoiler

The girl is a qt though. 8/10 would avenge comfy womens on

Huh, that explains a lot. I've always wondered about the hate between the Japanese and Koreans and thought a bit about why it ran so deep. I've heard of the infamous Japanese xenophobia, but I've never met a Japanese nationalist before. As for Koreans, they're obsessed with Japanese war crimes -- comfort women, war shrines, reparations, ect.... in just about every Korean person I've met in my life. Personally, I think reparations for long past war crimes are absolutely retarded, but that's just my two cents. I think the biggest irony is how nearly every Korean person I've met demands ludicrous amounts of money as well as "formal apologies, as if all previous ones weren't sincere enough" for comfort women in particular, but they always themselves deny involvement with Vietnamese comfort women and their government haven't paid a single cent... while Japanese has given South Korea, an extremely wealthy nation, how many millions now? But honestly, if we forced every nation on earth to pay reparations for every single rape, murder, bombing,war, ect for the past 2000 years it'd be a massive clusterfuck.

Well, I say this as an ethnic Korean living in the US: You have to remove yourself a bit to really see the big picture. I agree generally with what you're saying, maybe with a few nitpick here and there.

Spoiler

Not exactly. This reads like a list of all the netuyo memes. Next few chapters will probably be about things like intellectual property disputes, island disputes, the 2002 world cup, etc. Honestly, I can understand where they're coming from, but looking at it from a 3rd party perspective is more informative.

Spoiler

Huh, that explains a lot. I've always wondered about the hate between the Japanese and Koreans and thought a bit about why it ran so deep. I've heard of the infamous Japanese xenophobia, but I've never met a Japanese nationalist before. As for Koreans, they're obsessed with Japanese war crimes -- comfort women, war shrines, reparations, ect.... in just about every Korean person I've met in my life. Personally, I think reparations for long past war crimes are absolutely retarded, but that's just my two cents. I think the biggest irony is how nearly every Korean person I've met demands ludicrous amounts of money as well as "formal apologies, as if all previous ones weren't sincere enough" for comfort women in particular, but they always themselves deny involvement with Vietnamese comfort women and their government haven't paid a single cent... while Japanese has given South Korea, an extremely wealthy nation, how many millions now? But honestly, if we forced every nation on earth to pay reparations for every single rape, murder, bombing,war, ect for the past 2000 years it'd be a massive clusterfuck. 

• God likes this

Lmaaaooooooo. So this is what someone who read Hara Tetsuo's work as a kid and thought he was being serious would draw when they grow up. Absolute nationalist trash that isn't even entertaining. 

edit - but regardless, thank you N33t for the good scanlations.

Spoiler

Well, I am thankful that this manga was uploaded even if was just to see the cover of the manga, which has a pretty pretty art, and to read all the interesting (even if a little bit discouraging) information that you mention, I mean, if part of the population of two of the most advanced countries in the world can fall so easily in such demagoguery, then which hope there is to see some improvements in countries like mine, certainly a pretty worrisome situation.

So basically, from the description and comments, this is a "What if Trump was a Japanese Schoolgirl" manga?

Spoiler

Definitely pro-authoritarian, probably pro-fascism. Also racist.

Some stories reflect and reveal issues in society. Starship Troopers, the movie, did that. Some stories promote and advocate for issues in society. Starship Troopers, the book, did that.

I don't know where this one is going, but it certainly feels like the later.

…Are you sure this isn't a parody? It's so heavy-handed that I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to take it seriously… It's almost unintentionally funny.

Although knowing this can be read by kids is a bit worrying…

/pol/ please leave

I'm just waiting for Australians to arrive in the manga. That's usually when it gets fun.

So basically, from the description and comments, this is a "What if Trump was a Japanese Schoolgirl" manga?

I'm not all that knowledgeable about relationship between Japan and South Korea, but it's a fact that Japanese army massacred enormous amount of Koreans in 20th century, though nowadays both countries are quite close in terms of culture. P. S. This guy's face at the end... Seems like he has his own agenda

Delicious liberal tears.

Back to the field peasant.

"Conspiratard childhood friend"

Woah, the author took the "childhood friend" troop to a whole new level.

/pol/ please leave

I was really curious why this was rated so low.

After reading it, I now know.

This is the typical xenophobic and racist Japanese propaganda that's spewed by those black van ultranationalist retards.  Except now its an accessible manga for kids with a cute main girl character.

What a load of shit.

Delicious liberal tears.

I dont see how this can be controversial when it has the same coherence as a Metal Gear game.

And, like always, no one questions why are the things like now and prefer the clash between the next lo last and the last one because seems easier than facing the reality. Walking the same path as 100 years ago.

I know that if a work is priding itself of being controversial, instead of trying for interesting plot/ deep characters/ meaningfull story etc that it is not for me. If I want to be edgy I would just write some final fantasy x elfen lied fanfiction or something.

dropped after first sentence in description.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics