Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.62 - 127votes)

Kekkaishi

Alt Names: alt ผู้ผนึกมารalt 結界師alt 결계사alt Kết giới sưalt Kekkaishi Ayakashi Hojindenalt كيكايشي
Author: Tanabe Yellow
Artist: Tanabe Yellow
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: By night, junior high student Yoshimori Sumimura is a "kekkaishi"--a demon-hunter who specializes in creating magical barriers around his prey. By day, Yoshimori's got some other demons to battle: an addiction to sweets and a seriously crotchety grandfather! Yoshimori's pretty 16-year-old neighbor and childhood friend, Tokine Yukimura, is also a kekkaishi, but their families are feuding over who is the true practitioner of the art.

Won the 52nd Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shounen category.
Go to Kekkaishi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic anime adaption New Window sorrow
  • 1 Replies

26 Comments

I finally got to finish this after dropping it years ago because of school. I'm happy with the ending. Thank you Tanabe for not ruining the manga with romance bs. Heck, I even cried a couple of time before I reach the final chapter. I'm glad I decided to give this manga another chance.

This series was ok.  My main problem was that lots of characters didn't feel fleshed out in the slightest, like the grandmother, the younger brother, the dad.  The dogs, given some backstory and then right after that shoved to the way way back, they had no role to play as the series went on despite foreshadowing.  A huge theme in this story was the idea of inheritance, but instead of real emotional growth we get a lot of "you just don't understand what it's like to not be chosen!!!!"  without substantial reasons attached or helping people move forward.  The MC gets a spirit animal thing towards the end and I think it was useful once.  There seemed to be many threads that were later abandoned or forgotten.  One plus, the author was not afraid to kill characters every now and then.

Spoiler

spoiler tag dude.  You pretty much gave away the BBEG and a large part of the ending there. If you don't know how, it's like this.

[ s p o i l e r ] text text text [ / s p o i l e r ]

just remove the spaces from the brackets.

I enjoyed the setting a lot and for the most part the characters were enjoyable, that said I really didn't get the closure I was expecting from the ending of a series that spanned more than 300 chapters. The biggest issue for me was Tokine and Yoshimura, both of them grew closer as the series progressed and Tokine even further seemed to warm up to Yoshimura's good side which is great for their budding relationship. The issue however is that there was no closure for the two of them, in the end Yoshimura stammered and flibbed his line while Tokine seemingly ignored it to play the straight-man, I wanted something much more intimate from the two of them. I don't even really mean that I wanted a kiss, though it would've been great to see one, I just really expected something more intimate between the main leads aside from one heartfelt hug before the dawn of war. 

All in all it was enjoyable, many forgettable villains and it seemed like every single bad guy, even god murdering psychopaths, were given a carte blanche emotional backstory that excused their misdeeds. Like, sure, a bag guy with motivation is great but it is really really hard to try and feel remorse for a guy that was openly trying to mind control the entire world and destroy literally everything.

If you don't mind anything I just said then please do enjoy, personally I walk away feeling very unfulfilled and yet not regretting my time spent on it, it's a good read, just not my cup of tea. 

This is a wonderful piece.  The main cast has great character and chemistry.  Art is rock solid and expressive.  Story is compelling, and for the most part has good pacing.  Definitely a recommended read for any fan of shounen fantasy.  There are a couple minor gripes I have, but nothing that really takes away from it too bad.

Spoiler

Just finished this for the second time (this series is so damn good!) and I've got the same sad/happy feeling I had the first time I read this series. Gonna go read some other long ass series to fill the void.

For those who want to know, Tanabe Yellow has started a new series called "Laughter in The End of The World" and it looks promising! :) You can look it up in Batoto, 2 chapters are out!

very intriguing.. do tell about it my otaku friend

(grammar edit)

• RSD likes this

this is one of my fav manga. if u take out all of the supernatural parts of the story and the families rivalry this is almost like my life. the internal family conflicts, having to deal with the family expectations and his own dreams...that's me

good stuff. tanabe yellow sure knows what he does.

not (he) but she, tanabe yellow is female

A lot better than the anime imo. some places may have gotten on my nerves but overall I liked this (and i rarely like SUPERNATURAL manga)

good stuff. tanabe yellow sure knows what he does.
@Alncst such is the case with almost every story that runs to-long
why was there even a need for the MC in the end??? i mean i was a great history had a lot of build up but in the end its just spreaded and there was so many things going on that had nothing to do with the main history that the ending was weaker then the completion of the "side historyes"

*****great history / very weak ending*****
    • Ncf likes this
For those who want to know, Tanabe Yellow has started a new series called "Laughter in The End of The World" and it looks promising! :) You can look it up in Batoto, 2 chapters are out!
Curveball ending.
    • Ncf likes this
It's a good manga. Really. But I kinda expecting more. Somehow I still want more scenes with the lord, scene of how hard it is his last training and soon. The story was so fine so the end was kinda lacking for me.

But the ending was awesome. Who tho that would happen?
would like to see a new series, too :(
Since the score is out of 5 I gave it 5. But if it was out of 10, I'd give 9.

As I read I found plenty of things that in my opinion lowered the quality of the manga, but on the whole it was a wonderful read. I just gotta filter out the parts where I wanted to murder the MC.

Recommended.
So good :(
sigh...not too bad.
A good manga is finished, wish the author would make an afterstory or something.
yeah the end was pretty bitter sweet, I can't imagine not being able to see my mom it must of been really tough for him.
maybe because i have a strong relationship with my mom the ending was epically crushing but one of the best mangas i have read
Most amazing.
i agree twas a good but also sad ending i hope whatever tanabe does comes out soon

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics