Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 399votes)

Taishou Otome Otogibanashi

Alt Names: alt 大正処女御伽話alt タイシャウヲトメおとぎばなしalt 타이 샤 오토메 동화/다이쇼시대 소녀 전래동화alt Taishou Wotome Otogibanashialt Сказка о девушке эпохи Тайсё
Author: Kirioka Sana
Artist: Kirioka Sana
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In this story set in the early 1920s, Tamahiko is the son of a wealthy family, but his life is changed forever when an accident cripples his right arm. No longer considered by his father as an heir, he is shuffled off into the country, to live out of sight. The teenage Tamahiko shuts himself in his new home, bitterly thinking of it as the place where he will die. One day, he learns that his father has 'bought' him a bride to take care of him, when the young teen girl named Yuzuki arrives at his door. She comes into his life like an innocent ray of sunshine, and Tamahiko's view of the world and his life starts changing bit-by-bit...
Go to Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic How much is the debt nowadays? New Window Ryoumiya
  • 1 Replies
Topic What is "botchan"? New Window truepurple
  • 8 Replies
Topic And this is just the beginning New Window jrandom42
  • 2 Replies

822 Comments

Just... let them be happy ever after, that's everything that I want for this manga mmm...

A lot of the most recent comments show that people are misunderstanding some nuances in this manga. I think this has to do with the fact that Yuzu is such a sweet girl that to many readers not familiar with the culture, daddy's decision to send her to be Tamahiko's bride looks like an act of kindness. So, as a person born to a very similar culture, let me explain a few things.

I actually have a real-life example in my uncle, grandpa's eldest son. In his case, grandma was such a privileged daughter of a wealthy family that she bitchily abused the heck out of him and never sent him to school (because of course she herself never went to school), so he kinda grew up to be the retard big bro to all the schooled younger siblings. When grandpa realized this, he decided that his heir was going to be my dad (who promptly rebelled and studied medicine instead) and basically banished eldest uncle to one of his factories.

When eldest uncle reached the damn old age of 30 grandpa suddenly realized he wasn't married yet (gasp!) thus making him the shame of the family. Who'd ever heard of an unmarried eldest son? And how can the favored younger brother get married to his betrothed with the eldest still single? And let's not forget that mom's family was at this time more prestigious and widely connected to powerful people.

So right away grandpa arranged a bride from what may have been poor distant cousins - because aunty had the same family name (adding insult to injury). It was never a happy marriage, and the whole family had to go through tragedies all their lives. The only consolation was that eventually grandpa realized that dad was damn serious about becoming a doctor and not inheriting the family business, plus the younger brothers were useless rat damn bastiches who can't work. In the end grandpa was forced to reconcile with eldest uncle and had him help out the family business. It should be noted that in protest dad waited until he was 30 before getting hitched to mom, but dad isn't anything like Tamahiko's siblings.

Interestingly grandpa from mom's side was a Western-educated intellectual who liked to make fun of his in-laws' crazy backwards ways, so he was okay with dad's rebellion (probably even encouraged it - neither grandpa was a nice person) and picked me up under his wing the moment I was born to insulate me from dad's dysfunctional family.

Bear in mind that all that stuff happened in the 1960s. In Taisho-era Japan, things would have been even worse for Tamahiko. The nuance here is that the fact his dad bought him a bride from a lower class family was both an insult (a favored son would have been betrothed to a proper daughter of a peer family) and an act of convenience to prevent shame to the House and allow his siblings to get married without burden. Tamahiko just got lucky that the girl bought for him was so nice and cute, unlike my poor uncle and his gloomy wife.

Better summary: A boy can't use his right hand, he despaired. But his understanding father gave him a mansion and a cute girl to attend his needs and desires.
Tesshi's great grandmother?
Spoiler
The dude vommited on her and she brushed it off like nothing...
THE FUCK ARE U WAITING FOR GET UR ASS UP AND PREPARE THE MARRIAGE FORMS LIKE YESTERDAY GOGOGOGO

Oh, well, there goes my "it's all in his head" theory.  It does indeed seem like he was tossed aside, if those were indeed the words his father used.  Also, the guilty face he does in the last page is picture-perfect...  What a great story.

Mind, he's sick and probably having a fever dream when recalling that. It's still just as likely that's not how things went at all.

Uhh, English-language chapter 3 isn't working correctly.  Can the uploader have a look at it?

EDIT: Thanks, it seems fixed.

Oh, well, there goes my "it's all in his head" theory.  It does indeed seem like he was tossed aside, if those were indeed the words his father used.  Also, the guilty face he does in the last page is picture-perfect...  What a great story.

Sh*t its sad that he got kicked out. I also think its messed up to buy "Women" like that but I guess it can't be help since its a different Era and Women had no Rights. Give her freedom back and what she'll do i wonder? But I don't think she will leave. She's a good person. I wonder what the family is planning? Was buying her as his wife intentional or....?

I'm not entirely sure that he got kicked out.  It's possible that he's just viewing his father's actions through a pessimistic lens because he's come to hate himself.  Sure, some of the things his siblings say in the flashback seem unambiguously mean, but he's not necessarily a reliable narrator.

Regarding the practice of buying brides, it's not much different from the contemporaneous Western practice of dowry.  It's much worse in the Indian subcontinent, where the wife pays a dowry to the husband...

Sh*t its sad that he got kicked out. I also think its messed up to buy "Women" like that but I guess it can't be help since its a different Era and Women had no Rights. Give her freedom back and what she'll do i wonder? But I don't think she will leave. She's a good person. I wonder what the family is planning? Was buying her as his wife intentional or....?
This manga made my Diabetes gotten worse

It keeps getting cuter and sweeter each chapter mmm...

wooden-spoon-of-sugar.jpg

Yes! Found a treasure

Lindo, quiero más 

Okay, this just pushed me in all the right spots, I'm all in.

I wish this stays Vanilla

Yuzuuuu!! Marry me instead ;_;

You perv! Ok, but in all honesty, lil-wifu is a cutie.

Feels like the guy is being swept off his feet by his mail-order bride.

(don't know if that's the technical term, but that's what she sounds like haha)

I like it when the guy is constantly off balance. And them gradually working towards a relationship is so sweet.

Speculation: Tamahiko's family does actually care for him and wants him to recover, and all the hostility we're seeing comes from seeing everything through his pessimistic and self-loathing point of view. It's just that they flubbed it with him after the accident - he needed to recover but the traditional method of sending someone to the countryside for it on his own just left him feeling thrown aside. Though screwing up is understandable. After all, Tamahiko's mother died in the accident that crippled his arm. Everyone in that family must be grieving, and that can pull people apart just as easily as together.

Thank you Sea Otter Scans!!!!!!  This is an amazing manga!

my apologies. you young maiden are not as naive as you seem

Just finished reading Chapter 2, and now it's missing from the list?

Had to fix some stuff on a couple pages. It'll be back 

Just finished reading Chapter 2, and now it's missing from the list?
Okay...count me in on this one too for now. A nice light-hearted narrative. :)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics