Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.51 - 87votes)

Shounen Shoujo

Alt Names: alt Chico Enfermo Chica Enfermaalt 症年症女alt Disease Boy, Disease Girlalt Ill Boy Ill Girlalt 증년증녀alt Sick Boy, Sick Girl
Author: Nisioisin
Artist: Akatsuki Akira
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Enrolled in a certain elementary school is an unpleasant 11-year-old boy with a highly cynical outlook on society. Believing that the world lacks individuality, he wants nothing more than to be unique and remembered. The boy seemingly gets the chance to leave his name in history when he becomes the first to be diagnosed with a new incurable disease that is estimated to kill him by the age of 12.

Just as he is rejoicing about his newfound individuality, he meets a cheerful, prodigious girl who has the same disease—and is nearing her 12th birthday. As the boy realizes that he won't be the first to die from the disease and therefore won't be remembered, he forms a twisted plan: kill the girl before her illness does.
Go to Shounen Shoujo Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Recruit a translator and a proofreader for Shounen Shoujou manga New Window Mana Light
  • 0 Replies

147 Comments

Anyone else seeing this?

Ch.1: 「 ███ 」

Ch.2: 「 ▀░▄▓▌」

Somehow I get the impression that they aren't supposed to look like this.

It used them, twisted them, parodied them,  criticized them, praised them, analyzed them, and then meta-analyzed them. It was a glorious mess.

And I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Nisioisin and Akatsuki Akira are an amazing tag team. Wordplay and extremely good writing combined with a very distinct artstyle.

What, may? This manga is too interesting for me to wait that long! I...I might consider fanfiction... Hold me...

Something puzzling about japanese comics is that their issues are 'ahead'. For them the may issue is released in april (if I don't recall wrongly, at least Kushuku Juliet worked that way).

What, may? This manga is too interesting for me to wait that long! I...I might consider fanfiction... Hold me...

Either what is showcased for the next issue is going to be trolling or this is going to be a surprisingly short manga. Considering what I've seen in this last chapter I'm not sure what I'd prefer.

P.S. The nurses are dickwads.

Wasn't medaka box a manga that, while trying to twist the shounen rules ended up playing them straight?

It used them, twisted them, parodied them,  criticized them, praised them, analyzed them, and then meta-analyzed them. It was a glorious mess.

I see you don't know NisioIsin my friend. He writes shonens specifically to mess with the tropes and twist them beyond recognition. Medaka Box is a perfect example of this.

Wasn't medaka box a manga that, while trying to twist the shounen rules ended up playing them straight?

Would be an interesting premise if it wasn't a shonen.

Since it's a shonen we all know how it will go: neither will kill the other, they will fall in love, the girl will learn that she's can be happy too, the boy will learn the value of being a mindless drone, then either the girl dies or they both make miraculous recovery because the disease was purely psychological.

Bloody disgusting, really

I see you don't know NisioIsin my friend. He writes shonens specifically to mess with the tropes and twist them beyond recognition. Medaka Box is a perfect example of this.

Okay, chapter 3 raw is out and I can say, hands down, it's the chapter whose translation I've ever had need of with the most intensity ever.

Love it! Though it makes me want to reread Medaka Box again. Which is a good thing! :lol:

It's all a dream. He had the "scribbles" problem as a psicologic/somatic illness (prosopagnosia), but on the collapse of the pyramid, everybody fell on him. Then he enters a comatose state where this story develops.

That explains the illogical things: The time limit, the "adults' behaviors" and everything else comes from the boy's mind. So anything he doesn't know may be created from his reasonings, like the naming the illness after him..... until he realises that somebody had it before... (that's the moment the girl comes to existence in his world) then she appears and questions his assumption.... and he then believes that killing her will correct the mistake.... until he realises the logic problem.... and a new "explanation" rises (like it is all a conspiration of sorts).

The girl is the manifestation of the paradoxes he confronts in his dream.

And here's the catch: The girl is real, and all is a shared comatose dream. And they will die at the end. But only as ill people. The "death" only is for their previous personas. As a metaphoric means of growing into a mature "adult". The death of childhood.

Haha, I love to shitpost like this.

Please keep up the good work!

Plot twist: the real reason that the other carriers of the disease died earlier was not the direct cause of the disease themselves: rather, the disease motivated them into a mutual kill.

What a boring plot twist.

Plot twist: the real reason that the other carriers of the disease died earlier was not the direct cause of the disease themselves: rather, the disease motivated them into a mutual kill.

This manga would do well being animated by the staff at Shaft. Those face tiles the girl sees look like something Genkidan Inu Curry would create, this pose, and then the variuos camera shifts.

Would be an interesting premise if it wasn't a shonen.

Since it's a shonen we all know how it will go: neither will kill the other, they will fall in love, the girl will learn that she's can be happy too, the boy will learn the value of being a mindless drone, then either the girl dies or they both make miraculous recovery because the disease was purely psychological.

Bloody disgusting, really

Wow! This is creepy!

Huh, so I guess this MC is less "Kumagawa 2.0" and more "Kumagawa crossed over with Takarabe" (the doublespeaking Student Council Candidate in Medaka Box).Still, too early to tell for real. He at least seems to be less determined than a true Minus so far.

I love it. Such a twisted love comedy.

Wait, are they supposed to be special?  Seems they act like regular kids to me. :-x

I don't think regular kids would be so obsessed to kill each other.

Wait, are they supposed to be special?  Seems they act like regular kids to me. :-x

Jesus Christ. Does she take after he parents too? Could she be a sociopath like her parents? They're going to end up killing each other at this rate.

Hope this doesn't get the tragic ending it appears to be getting... Since Medaka Box seemed to be a series that was so positive and cheerful about life, I'm hoping this ends up somewhat like it as well.

Why is this guy so edgy? Did this really come from Nisio Issin?
Now I'm really curious where in his head Zenkichi came from.

he came before medaka box, and this guy after.

Why is this guy so edgy? Did this really come from Nisio Issin?
Now I'm really curious where in his head Zenkichi came from.

Reminds me with Medaka and Kumagawa.

Kumagawa and Emukae

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics