Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 123votes)

Otonari Complex

Alt Names: alt おとなりコンプレックスalt 伪郎隔壁是伪娘alt Childhood friend Complexalt 이웃 컴플렉스alt Komşu Kompleksalt Kompleks sąsiada
Author: Nonomura Saku
Artist: Nonomura Saku
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kuji Akira and Ninomiya Makoto have been neighbours and friends from childhood. Akira is handsome and Makoto is pretty but Akira's a girl and Makoto's a boy... Their feelings for each other are growing more complex just as they are finding themselves the focus of romantic interest of their friends and acquaintances.
Go to Otonari Complex Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Otonari Complex released chapter discussions New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies

163 Comments

I think we've already had enough clues to say that's not what a friend did, it's what a crush did.  He likes her.

Well, yes of course Makoto likes Akira. They've been close friends for a long time after all. What's got Makoto's back up is that someone else (Seo) has befriended Akira too (and to add to the confusion Seo-kun has romantic feelings for Makoto's alter ego, "Sayaka"). Romantic feelings between Makoto and Akira are another matter. The two of them are rather clueless about romance and if and how it might apply to them.

Spoiler

The story seems to be looking at how they deal with others expressing interest in forming a relationship with either of them and how that affects their own close friendship. The trite stock story-on-rails plot would have them becoming romantically connected; I hope the mangaka can avoid this somehow, or at least keep if from being so predictable.

I think we've already had enough clues to say that's not what a friend did, it's what a crush did.  He likes her.

Yeah, in this case; IRL I'd do that with coffee from a friend too.

I would have drank all the coffees too. It's what friends do. 

I would have drank all the coffees too. It's what friends do. 

A Doujin would have ended in a 3 way.
God this manga is so cute.

I just liked how
Spoiler

When it went that direction I was thinking "Oh, of course, how could I be so blind not to expect that?!"

I wish someone told Ayaka to take care of her own life.

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting the triangle to take that shape from the one they originally introduced. Still not keen on the triangle drama though. It's always my least favorite trope in these things.

Well since his attraction to 'Sayaka' will die a tragic, mortifying death, I'm sure it will be a rather painless plot device to get the main couple together. So rest assured!

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting the triangle to take that shape from the one they originally introduced. Still not keen on the triangle drama though. It's always my least favorite trope in these things. 

This story resembles Hourou Musuko : «A boy want to become the girl, and a girl want to become the boy. But when they become adult, the girl stops wanting become the boy».

I think the difference here is that the way they dress and behave tends to hold considerably less dramatic weight. It's more of a convenient, humorous manga trope. Whereas, in Hourou Musuko, the main character is legitimately transgender and struggles with particularly nasty insecurities and perceptions from people because of it.

Call me after the obligatory 20 chapters of unnecessary ikeman love triangle.
Reminds me of this discontinued Korean manhwa that I loved called "Vanilla Ice." Both have a confident female character that actually looks like a guy instead of a girl with short hair, and the female character doesn't seem to have a melodramatic complex about their femininity.

Spoiler

I Have Absolutely no idea who is a guy or girl anymore in this thing

Geh. I knew it was gonna go this way yet I held out hopes it wouldn't. Will still read for now but my interest has definitely waned. 

I'm gonna bet that the male childhood friend is madly in love with the female one and she's oblivious and doesn't see him as a man like in every shoujo manga with an androgynous male lead. She'll probably be ignorant of his feels and (flirt) around a bunch.

Yup called it

This story resembles Hourou Musuko : «A boy want to become the girl, and a girl want to become the boy. But when they become adult, the girl stops wanting become the boy».

I don't really see it. This story seems to be just about two people who don't really care about their looks. One because she is born looking really really boyish and seemed to have stopped caring and another is just because agreeing to crossdress for his sister is just less stress overall.

I'm gonna bet that the male childhood friend is madly in love with the female one and she's oblivious and doesn't see him as a man like in every shoujo manga with an androgynous male lead. She'll probably be ignorant of his feels and date around a bunch.

college problem....

I wouldn't recommend Prunus Girl- the whole thing is a disappointment that gets repetitive really fast.

wut.

butch girls and femme boys, yes. <3

They look both like guys...

But these kind of story's tend to be really funny... so follow!

Should I draw a girl and call it a boy, or should draw a boy and call it a girl?

Eh, fuck it, I'll do both.

-Nonomura Saku, 2016

They both look like boys...

I was confused af XDD

Thanks for translating!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics