Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (3.97 - 105votes)

RWBY

Alt Names: alt Rubyalt RWBY
Author: Monty Oum & Rooster Teeth Productions
Artist: Miwa Shirow
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureFantasy FantasySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The future-fantasy world of Remnant is filled with ravenous monsters, treacherous terrain, and more villains than you can shake a sniper-scythe at. Fortunately, Beacon Academy is training Huntsmen and Huntresses to battle the evils of the world, and Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang are ready for their first day of class.
Go to RWBY Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic RWBY anime has good plot and character development, not about the fight scenes New Window truepurple
  • 12 Replies
Topic Viz set to publish English release New Window Jing2487
  • 0 Replies
Topic Latest chapter discussion thread New Window themantarays
  • 2 Replies

117 Comments

I still don't get the exact usage of weeaboo (yes I did google it), all I know is that it is related to obsessing in Japanese culture mainly anime and manga mmm...

What I want to ask is:

1. Is weeaboo always have a negative tendency?

2. If someone has an obsession in Japanese cultures besides manga and anime, let's say Enka, can they also be categorized as weeaboo?

3. As far as I know, the word otaku can be used by Japanese in  expressing that someone is obsessed in something, not just anime/manga, so a "Samurai Otaku" is someone who's obsessed with Samurai.

So taking that into consideration, can weeaboo considered as an equal term for otaku that's not from Japan?

mmm...

It's a measure of extremes. Weeaboos go too far in their "love" for Japan without knowing anything about it outside of anime and they tend to replace/add random Japanese words into their sentences.

Basically this. But I'm having a bit of fun in the conversation, so I'll elaborate.a little more. To answer your first question, calling someone a weeb is similar to calling someone an otaku in Japan or a nerd in the West; so essentially it's contrived as an insult, but it's become a kind of embraced label. This is, however, a strictly western term, as I have not seen any reference to it in Japanese culture. The above definition of "weeb" is accurate imo, so I won't elaborate on that. I will say that given that it isn't a part of common vernacular yet, its definition is still changing and may be a bit subjective. To a person who doesn't watch a lot of anime/read a lot of manga, a weeb is a person who does an excessive amount. To the average person who does indulge in a lot of Japanese culture, a weeb is a person who tries to speak Japanese in a regular English sentence for no other reason than to sound "anime". Said person likely refers to his/herself as an "otaku" and probably doesn't have a meaningful understanding or opinion of any anime other than, "It's good because I like it."

I will put a disclaimer here that this definition is from the viewpoint of a shitposter on 4chan and Twitter. So everything might be a bit twisted. Pic relevant.

Spoiler

Reuploaded the chapter because it was pointed out to me that the site I got raws off was missing a page. Someone else should be picking it up within the next few days with actual non-crap raws, so there should be a release with decent cleans then.

I still don't get the exact usage of weeaboo (yes I did google it), all I know is that it is related to obsessing in Japanese culture mainly anime and manga mmm...

What I want to ask is:

2. If someone has an obsession in Japanese cultures besides manga and anime, let's say Enka, can they also be categorized as weeaboo?

3. As far as I know, the word otaku can be used by Japanese in  expressing that someone is obsessed in something, not just anime/manga, so a "Samurai Otaku" is someone who's obsessed with Samurai.

So taking that into consideration, can weeaboo considered as an equal term for otaku that's not from Japan?

mmm...

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Not sure, but i don't think it is so I'll say No

Reasons why I read this:

-Amusement I get from the thought I'm reading a "American animation adaptated to japanese manga". 40%

-Comments. 40%

-Because it's RWBY. 20%

Somewhere up in the clouds, Monty Oum is smiling...

any1 else kinda thrown off a bit by the art

It's a measure of extremes. Weeaboos go too far in their "love" for Japan without knowing anything about it outside of anime and they tend to replace/add random Japanese words into their sentences.

What I want to ask is:

mmm...

First chapter is way too short for a first chapter. Should be at least double the length. But I still have high hopes for this. I mean, it's great that an American anime not only got exported to Japan but also got it's own manga but... The chapter explains pretty much nothing. It assumes the readers are familiar with the series. And while some of the readers of this particular magazine are, I would imagine the greater part are not. I mean, a little character introduction wouldn't hurt would it?

Pretty sure nobody who watched RWBY was impressed by the plot, though. The story was mostly an excuse to bring about insane fight scenes - I still remember Black's intro and the gunchucks monkey after so long. Half the stuff between the fight scenes are cringey, sure, but at least it's cringey harmless in a children's show way where you learn morals and friendship rather than all the gritty dark stuff coming out these days.

I'd see it closer to a Transformers-like braindead entertainment than a self-absorbed weaboo fanfiction. What I'd consider self-absorbed fanfiction would be closer to Twilight, or Mahouka...

That's a fair comparison. I'm quite guilty of watching it for the fight scenes myself, being the weeaboo piece of shit that I am. The characters, while not exactly outstanding, are pretty lovable, in a children's show sort of way like you said. To be honest, it's the fanbase that really irks me. Lots of inane tumblr-esque speech about how everything should be a certain way or whatnot. It's not to the extent of SnK or other popular shows (thankfully), but the childish rhetoric you see on basically any social media outlet is rather irritating imo.

The RWBY show is fun since it's an animation. Not sure if a graphic novel version would be as good, especially since fight scenes (arguably the show's primary strength) are a hit-and-miss thing.

The art looks great. imo this would find better success if it had its own story.

(or maybe an artist draws ryuugi's The Games We Play? I'd follow that in a heartbeat.)

Okay, you know when you were just a kid or whatever and you just found out about anime? And then you got an idea in your head that maybe you could come up with an idea for an anime? You started creating your own world and characters and stuff during your free time in hopes that it might actually be worth something, but then as you slowly matured you realized your ideas were just weeaboo shit.

RWBY is what happens when you don't realize your ideas were weeaboo shit and it actually gets produced. Best way to explain it pretty much. Not really ragging on Ol' Monty Oum since I liked him, but you gotta admit the plot of RWBY is pretty much your average fanfiction.

Pretty sure nobody who watched RWBY was impressed by the plot, though. The story was mostly an excuse to bring about insane fight scenes - I still remember Black's intro and the gunchucks monkey after so long. Half the stuff between the fight scenes are cringey, sure, but at least it's cringey harmless in a children's show way where you learn morals and friendship rather than all the gritty dark stuff coming out these days.

I'd see it closer to a Transformers-like braindead entertainment than a self-absorbed weaboo fanfiction. What I'd consider self-absorbed fanfiction would be closer to Twilight, or Mahouka...

this is more like ch 0 / prologue, rather than chapter 1... too short :(

Okay, you know when you were just a kid or whatever and you just found out about anime? And then you got an idea in your head that maybe you could come up with an idea for an anime? You started creating your own world and characters and stuff during your free time in hopes that it might actually be worth something, but then as you slowly matured you realized your ideas were just weeaboo shit.

RWBY is what happens when you don't realize your ideas were weeaboo shit and it actually gets produced. Best way to explain it pretty much. Not really ragging on Ol' Monty Oum since I liked him, but you gotta admit the plot of RWBY is pretty much your average fanfiction.

yeah, i get it now. i kinda had a similar feeling to this, but i couldnt quite describe it

Eurgh, I hope they cleaned up some of the animation glitches before showing the Japanese. It's alright as of S3, but the early ones are pretty embarrassing. Also, it feels weird viewing such a colourful setting in black and white.

The Japanese love it, it's not like they have better taste than us.

Eurgh, I hope they cleaned up some of the animation glitches before showing the Japanese. It's alright as of S3, but the early ones are pretty embarrassing. Also, it feels weird viewing such a colourful setting in black and white.

and instantly followed

Wow, RWBY was popular enough to get a manga? that's amazing

A game originally made by a fan and now supported by RT themselves greenlit on Steam and the upcoming JP dub by high tier Japanese seiyuu.

Awesome. I wasn't expecting this today.

Wow, RWBY was popular enough to get a manga? that's amazing

lel of course there's already 20 comments.

my internal fanboy is freaking out. i just hope that the artist remembers that Ruby is short (she's younger than the rest of the team).

a manga?

the ride never ends, kids

And the dream lives on! R.I.P. Monty

Me when I saw this on the home page

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics