Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.6 - 52votes)

Mononofu

Alt Names: alt ものの歩alt Mononofu
Author: Ikezawa Haruto
Artist: Ikezawa Haruto
Genres: Comedy ComedyPsychological PsychologicalSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Awkward Takara Shinobu has always been rejected for being incompetent, a “dunce”. No matter how hard he tries – with studies or with people – he always fails. And now he’s stuck going to a back-up high school far from home.

Due to a miscommunication, he winds up living in a share-house dedicated to training shougi pros. Introduced to the world of shougi, Shinobu has finally made a connection with people who understand and accept him. However…now he wants to go pro too!?
Go to Mononofu Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

59 Comments

Oh you bastards, I came in selected the lowest chapter which should have been chapter 1, but it was chapter 11 due to the chapters being out of order.  Didn't realise until I had read the whole chapter but now I got some heavy spoilers about his relationship with three of the major characters and how good he is at shougi by chapter 11.  See ya in a month I guess :(

Still find it funny how everyone but the MC look sharp and has elaborate designs.

Precious Shinobu in chp 10 eyes closed.

Yeah, I've read Hikaru no Go. But this seems... more bullshit than that? Like, Hikaru no Go not only went over the rules (which were dead-simple), but also the basics. The fact that with 9 seconds on the clock the author would write "it's too close to tell who's winning" means the author probably has no good way to evaluate end-game board positions....

It is basically Hikaru no Go v 2.0 with more hotbloodness and less spirits. I freaking love it. Thanks for translating this.

Twintails and daisy dukes is a great combination. She promotes my pawn, if you know what I mean.

Spoiler

"I want people to look at me! What? You made a mistake?! Let me completely disregard you just like all the people who didn't look at me!"

This guy is a hypocrite.

He wants someone who is strong and looks at him. He knows that dealing with weaklings only result in them saying he's boring.

"I want people to look at me! What? You made a mistake?! Let me completely disregard you just like all the people who didn't look at me!"

This guy is a hypocrite.

I got a feeling that I heard of the term Albert for left-handed before so I tried searching for it.

From what I gather by searching "アルベルト 左利き" in google, it seems that it is indeed from a game, Romancing Saga. Albert is the only character (or one of the very few) that is left-handed. Romancing Saga is one of the first game that put an importance in the handedness of characters.

^^I haven't play the game myself and there may be mistakes, I hope someone that has experience with it may explain it better than me.

This is some good stuff right here

SHORYUKEN!
COUNTER HIT!

Was "Albert" アルベルト in Japanese?
I haven't the foggiest idea what it could mean, and now I'm really curious.

Livestreaming on niconico is common, actually.

Ah... that's why when I saw a recording of Japanese stream  the layout seems familiar with flying texts and such mmm...

As far as sports manga go, this reminds me of none of them. Oh wait, that's because board games are not a sport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_sport

As well as many board games and card gamespurer mental disciplines have been described as mind sports, such as video games (known as esports in this form), speed reading and computer programming Other events that have been included where the physical element is comparable to the mental component such as when the official Mind Sports South Africa accepted texting as a mind sport

So... if chess, poker and even speed reading can be considered as Sport, Mind Sport, Shogi must be sport too mmm...

As far as sports manga go, this reminds me of none of them. Oh wait, that's because board games are not a sport.

If a board game doesn't count as a sport, what does that make Korea's national sport, Starcraft.

If you guys like this, you should read/watch Hikaru no Go (if you haven't done so already).

That's not really the point. It so far follows the same progression and themes as sports manga. A newbie gets into something, finds out he sucks but has a special talent for it, meet friends and rivals who share passion for it, they go to tournaments together, etc. Whether that 'something' is an actual sport or not is irrelevant.

It kind of is. You wouldn't call Pokemon a sports manga, would you? But Pokemon manga often has rivals, training, tournaments, and plenty of other themes that sports manga have. It's not a sports manga if it does not have a sport.

Can you Livestream in niconico or there is something equal to twitch in Japan mmm...~?

Livestreaming on niconico is common, actually.

Can you Livestream in niconico or there is something equal to twitch in Japan mmm...~?

Hmm, it's decent so far, but I think it could be better. For one, I wish the author would show us the shougi moves. I don't really get how the matches go for the most part, just being told the outcome. I'm gonna keep reading since MC's autism moe is amusing.

That's not really the point. It so far follows the same progression and themes as sports manga. A newbie gets into something, finds out he sucks but has a special talent for it, meet friends and rivals who share passion for it, they go to tournaments together, etc. Whether that 'something' is an actual sport or not is irrelevant.

Author of Kurogane :) It's interesting so far :D

I hope that this time he gets the girl at the end xD

Thanks for translating this!

• whh likes this

Man, as far as sports manga go, this is nice. Reminds me of Baby Steps.

Man, as far as sports manga go, this is nice. Reminds me of Baby Steps.

Author of Kurogane :) It's interesting so far :D

It need more boobs.

If you want shogi with plot, then read 81 Diver.

I have a feeling that Viz won't keep this series around long-term. Because of that, please keep scanlating it!!

What does Viz have to do with anything?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics