Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * - - - (2.4 - 15votes)

Ender no Game

Alt Names: alt エンダーのゲームalt Ender's Game
Author: Shuho Sato
Artist: Shuho Sato
Genres: Oneshot OneshotPsychological PsychologicalSci-fi Sci-fiShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Based on the novel of the same name by Orson Scott Card, in which the hopes of mankind rest on the shoulders of genius children trained to combat the impending alien threat, Shuho Sato's one-shot focuses on the story of young Ender Wiggin. From the time he was three years old, has been monitored by the military to determine whether he has what it takes to enter Battle School, a specialized school in outer space where the brightest children are trained in the intricacies of war and command. Considered to be humanity's savior, Ender struggles with the pressures of the expectations placed on him, and with his own internal struggle between his conflicting empathic and destructive capacities as a tool of war.
Go to Ender no Game Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

23 Comments

No, no, nonononono NO! First they rape the book making one of the worst movie adaptations (when compared to original work) then they make manga?

BTW OSC made Ender's Game as a book for mature audience, but surprisingly (for him) it was very popular with teens. So it's could be called shounen (as in "book for young men/boys) not seinen (book for young adults). Rest of the Ender Saga (I mean "Speaker for the dead", "Xenocide" and "Children of the mind" not the "Ender's Shadow" and similar parallel novels) is targeted to much older audience.

Well, the movie was terrible (and not just from a comparison to the book), but I don't think you have to worry about a 1-shot published back in 2014.

No, no, nonononono NO! First they rape the book making one of the worst movie adaptations (when compared to original work) then they make manga?

BTW OSC made Ender's Game as a book for mature audience, but surprisingly (for him) it was very popular with teens. So it's could be called shounen (as in "book for young men/boys) not seinen (book for young adults). Rest of the Ender Saga (I mean "Speaker for the dead", "Xenocide" and "Children of the mind" not the "Ender's Shadow" and similar parallel novels) is targeted to much older audience.

Spoiler

True, it may be the fault of the mangaka's translator, but it seems unlikely given the nature of the changes unless the translator was taking some fairly extreme liberties with the source material.

I couldn't watch the movie either. Mostly because of the acting, I don't know how faithful it was overall, but the first few minutes of it made me feel like I was watching The Last Airbender.

I don't know why some people insist that every adaptation of a story has to follow the source material so strictly.
Variations in the story line give these adaptations a bit of variety by providing a slightly alternate look at the characters.  This is not a bad thing in itself.
[...]
I regard this the same way that I see both of the Full Metal Alchemist anime series.  "Brotherhood" may have been more faithful to the original manga series, but the first anime series was still extremely entertaining and well made.

That's cool for me if you want to take a concept from a story and do something else with it. But
1: don't use a description of the book as the description for the manga: "his own internal struggle between his conflicting empathic and destructive capacities as a tool of war" where do you see empathy here?
2: keeping every event happening but utterly changing the character motivations that make them happen or result from them is just wrong. If you're gonna make a completely different character, at least have the decency to give him another name or say outright it's a parody/study on the book, don't call it an adaptation (or a very loose one, then), and change the title!
(I wouldn't have minded a few changes. This is more than a few. This is like someone read the book, then related it to someone else, who in turn (not having read the book, only from memory of what the other had told him) gave an account of it to someone else, who in turn told someone else, and the twentieth person of that chain is the mangaka)

If I hadn't read the book, I would have thought this adaptation was a faithful one, since nothing in the description let me think otherwise. I resent that.

In the Fullmetal Alchemist animes, did they completely change the main characters' motivations and psychology? I take it they rather (haven't seen either of the animes, can't say for sure) showed events that could have happened in the same world, just at a different time (like between manga chapters).

Ender's Game is a seinen story that mocks shounen stories, but was turned into a shounen story for manga readers.

What? Ender's game doesn't mock anything. Least of all shounens. It was written in, like, the eighties (just checked: the book was published  in 1985, developping a short novel Card published in 1977). I don't know much about the history of manga, but I do know there was some change in shonen over the last 40 years. And seriously, you ever read anything about the guy Card? I don't think he's the type to read manga.
And if "shounen story" referred to the type of story, not necessarily in manga, my point still stands: there were no stories in the eighties using the mechanics of today's shounens.

Spoiler
Spoiler

After translating this I had to wonder how Ender's Game was translated into Japanese, and whether that affected how Sato constructed his adaptation. Makes you wonder how deliberate Sato's choices were, and what it says, if anything, about the natures of the original characters. Or....maybe it just has to do with localization haha. That in itself is worth taking a minute to think about

Though this manga was just created as a promotion for the film when it came out in Japan, it's hard not to be disappointed with how different the characters and situations are. I've only seen glimpses of them, but I wanted something a little different than those marvel adaptations. maybe we'll never see a true visual adaptation of the series...

this is not a bad adaption. This is story interpretation. Like how they did to Cinderella on elle enchanted, or Hans and gretel witch hunter. etc

adaption doesn't mean the adaptor must follow the story 100%.

Spoiler

That's not Andrew Ender Wiggin! Who is this hack?

I haven't read Ender's game, but I'll trust the others that this is a bad adaptation.

If you're trying to say that seinen manga is better than shonen manga, then you haven't really read any good shonen manga. 

Seinen manga is usually darker in themes and stylistic tones, but that doesn't mean it's better. It's a matter of preference and which manga is being compared, really.

If you're just trying to say that the adaptation uses the wrong tone, then just say that. This adaptation isn't really shonen-like at all.

You're right. You really haven't read Ender's Game.

Ender's Game is a seinen story that mocks shounen stories, but was turned into a shounen story for manga readers.

Well it's interesting, though as usual there are some differences from the book, I didn't like how they made stillson death so front and obvious, because ender's not knowing if he killed and doubts in himself as a killer (and separate from his brother) were a large part of his character development

but... that's my inner book fan :P

also colonel graff was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too talktive

You're right. It was alright for an adaption that changed the material, but it would have been cool if the author wasn't so on the nose about the kids death, and maybe left some nods to enders brother and sister's personalities. But HOLY SHIT THE TEARS IN THIS COMMENT SECTION ARE FUCKING DELICIOUS

I don't know why some people insist that every adaptation of a story has to follow the source material so strictly.

Variations in the story line give these adaptations a bit of variety by providing a slightly alternate look at the characters.  This is not a bad thing in itself.

The only important thing is: Did the adapting author provide an interesting and entertaining story for the readers?

And in this case, I would have to say that Shuho Sato was successful.

I regard this the same way that I see both of the Full Metal Alchemist anime series.  "Brotherhood" may have been more faithful to the original manga series, but the first anime series was still extremely entertaining and well made.

this is not a bad adaption. This is story interpretation. Like how they did to Cinderella on elle enchanted, or Hans and gretel witch hunter. etc

adaption doesn't mean the adaptor must follow the story 100%.

Wow, I was expecting to have room to complain, I wasn't disappointed.

books spoilers too:

Spoiler

So they fucked up 7 things out of 22 pages. Good job, guys, good job.

I was excited... and then I saw the comments )':

I haven't read Ender's game, but I'll trust the others that this is a bad adaptation.

this is what happens when you try to "shonenize" an otherwise "seinen" book. Kindly include this to the list of things that shouldn't have happened (along with DBZ: Evolution, Last Airbender, and such)..

If you're trying to say that seinen manga is better than shonen manga, then you haven't really read any good shonen manga. 

Seinen manga is usually darker in themes and stylistic tones, but that doesn't mean it's better. It's a matter of preference and which manga is being compared, really.

If you're just trying to say that the adaptation uses the wrong tone, then just say that. This adaptation isn't really shonen-like at all.

this is what happens when you try to "shonenize" an otherwise "seinen" book. Kindly include this to the list of things that shouldn't have happened (along with DBZ: Evolution, Last Airbender, and such)..

This writer has already changed two major plot points in the first freaking chapter. This is trash.

If you don't know what I'm talking about (spoilers for the book):

1. Ender does not assassinate Stilson with a weapon. He takes him out with his bare hands and kicks his face in infront of Stilsons cronies. This is basically the foundation of Ender's interactions with all of his enemies human or otherwise.

2. Graff doesn't tell Ender he killed Stilson. Once again, Ender is not an assassin, he's a freaking kid barely out of diapers. Graff will do anything to insure that Ender doesn't break down, why would he say that Ender killed somebody the very first time they met? Ender knows simulations and video games but he isn't great with real consequences.

For number 2, yes you are correct.

For number 1. Enders actions were based around completely eliminating all current and future threats from the source (Stilson). Him doing it without (to his eyes) killing him, was simply to separate himself from his brother. As long as the threat is taken out while avoiding future conflict and threat, Enders original goal can be considered complete, all that has significantly changed so far is how Ender deals with killing.

This writer has already changed two major plot points in the first freaking chapter. This is trash.

If you don't know what I'm talking about (spoilers for the book):

1. Ender does not assassinate Stilson with a weapon. He takes him out with his bare hands and kicks his face in infront of Stilsons cronies. This is basically the foundation of Ender's interactions with all of his enemies human or otherwise.

2. Graff doesn't tell Ender he killed Stilson. Once again, Ender is not an assassin, he's a freaking kid barely out of diapers. Graff will do anything to insure that Ender doesn't break down, why would he say that Ender killed somebody the very first time they met? Ender knows simulations and video games but he isn't great with real consequences.

I can't even read this. The mangaka completely failed to understand the original work. This is garbage.

Uh, I think I read the wrong manga. I was looking for the manga based on Ender's Game.

Here guys, I found the real Ender's Game manga for you:

Uh, I think I read the wrong manga. I was looking for the manga based on Ender's Game.

"Are you going to bully me?"

I can't even read this. The mangaka completely failed to understand the original work. This is garbage.

Well it's interesting, though as usual there are some differences from the book, I didn't like how they made stillson death so front and obvious, because ender's not knowing if he killed and doubts in himself as a killer (and separate from his brother) were a large part of his character development

but... that's my inner book fan :P

also colonel graff was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too talktive

yaaay

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics