Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.37 - 59votes)

Hai to Gensou no Grimgal

Alt Names: alt 灰と幻想のグリムガルalt Grimgal of Ashes and Illusionalt Grimgar of Fantasy and Ashalt Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Author: Jyumonji Ao
Artist: Okuhashi Mutsumi
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureDrama DramaFantasy FantasyShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here?

Where was here? Even now, he still didn’t know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a videogame.

In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgal. What awaits him there, he doesn’t know…

This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

Based on a light novel: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=116485
Go to Hai to Gensou no Grimgal Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

74 Comments

oh my,, because i like manga like overlord or the new gate,,when i read chap 1,this MC is so "unbelieveable"

Give MC a rest, he was already a hetare before arriving in this world. And he will shape up to a decent leader during ln vol 2. Then in ln 3 mc and his merry companions won t be the same anymore. Don t expect instant growth right after chapter 2.
My protagonist is only useful when it comes to catching girls with his body.

So...those of you who read the LN, does the main character get any better? Because right now he's kind of the type of MC that I hate the absolute most (worthless, timid, annoyingly dependent). At least he'd become a tad bit less timid, but...yeah.

Yes, Lots of things happen. 

i quite like the novel, hopefully the manwha will be good not crap like most adaptions of novels

It's a manga, not manhwa.

(It's also Grimgar, not Grimgal, but that's another issue, not sure why everyone insists on Grimgal when it's spelled out in English right there on the first page.)

So...those of you who read the LN, does the main character get any better? Because right now he's kind of the type of MC that I hate the absolute most (worthless, timid, annoyingly dependent). At least he'd become a tad bit less timid, but...yeah.

i quite like the novel, hopefully the manwha will be good not crap like most adaptions of novels

Yeah...I think Manato is gonna die (obvious Death Flag) so the mc will grow a pair

Not bad. I prefer a manga like this. where the MC and his party member need to "train" in order to get skill and ability. not just "given" or norn with it. The manga didn't says on how expensive is the admission fee to join the Thief guild.

No one comment on barbara?

Anyone else wondering why that Renji guy deemed the little girl as "Someone who could be useful"? Is he a lolicon or just looking at who would be good as bait?

Every bad ass needs a loli... 

Anyone else wondering why that Renji guy deemed the little girl as "Someone who could be useful"? Is he a lolicon or just looking at who would be good as bait?

i would assume it was due to the kid cuteness. every party needs a person with charisma, and cuteness is a main selling point.

diplomacy is very useful in DnD.

every crimson newcomer got their memories altered leaving them with vague thought of deja vu (its part of the main plot I guess). so you can more or less feel if you got connection with someone and that s it. Clues about it come slowly but MC looks for answer at the author pace only once or twice during vol 1.
so about renji it might be his tsundere way to look after loli to pretend ordering her like his other teammate, I may be wrong thoughand he is lolicon

Isn't it because she's a kid and he doesn't want her to stay alone in a different world?

If this were the main group I'd believe it, but they aren't and if there's anything other Transported-to-another-world stories like Tate no Yuusha have taught me, it's that the other people who arrived in the strange world at the same time as the main character but go separate ways will either be arrogant assholes or idiots. In either case Renji didn't give me the impression that he chose her or that glasses guy out of pity, so I've really got to wonder why he'd single them out as good party members.

Isn't it because she's a kid and he doesn't want her to stay alone in a different world?

Ln adaptation always have that rushed feeling since whole chapters are crammed in few pages due to format.
Anyway manga is often monthly and just advertising for ln so I will stick to ln here, its got a decent translation pace (1ch per week) and they are at vol2 (where haruhiro start acting like a leader). I hope nanodesu will continue up to latest volume, 5 I think.
If anyone want a ln with a feel of gritty survival in heroic fantasy setting without too much videogame reference (lol i leveled up and got 5 strenght point and need 10k to reach next lvl...) try it. Its fresh air compared to all the web novel around.

And ln art design is hundred times better

A valid point. As a translator, I've noticed that the popular ln/wn writing style typically does a hell of a lot of unnecessary spacing (has to do with the arrangement of concepts in modern Japanese creative writing) in addition to a large number of asides/MC narration. This results in many pages being used to express what takes ten panels to show in manga. Incidentally, it's why I frequently prefer manga adaptations of LNs over the novels themselves.

Well... At least they lost their memory?

Ln adaptation always have that rushed feeling since whole chapters are crammed in few pages due to format.
Anyway manga is often monthly and just advertising for ln so I will stick to ln here, its got a decent translation pace (1ch per week) and they are at vol2 (where haruhiro start acting like a leader). I hope nanodesu will continue up to latest volume, 5 I think.
If anyone want a ln with a feel of gritty survival in heroic fantasy setting without too much videogame reference (lol i leveled up and got 5 strenght point and need 10k to reach next lvl...) try it. Its fresh air compared to all the web novel around.

And ln art design is hundred times better

At least there is no "game hud" in this one.

What a surprise. I've been reading the light novel for a while now... There are several differences.

First, the narration is going waaaaaay too fast... Second, so far you cannot really feel their fright, desesperation and confusion... Please go read the light novel >_<

My protagonist is kind of... dull.

Ohmahgod

Thank you Cheesus for providing us the translation and raws!

Hopefully you guys enjoy this project! Also to anyone reading the light novel, is there any differences in narration and how it's portrayed? I'm thinking of reading it soon :'0

EDIT: Also for anyone that's curious, here's the link to the light novel translations.

Ch1 TL here: www.pastebin.com/w6S24Y0J for any group interested

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics