Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.52 - 114votes)

Suijin no Hanayome

Alt Names: alt Bride of the Water Godalt 수신의 제물alt La Novia del Dios del Aguaalt Pengantin Dewa Airalt Su Tanrısının Gelinialt Suijin no Ikeniealt The Water Dragon's Bridealt 水神の生贄(はなよめ)alt 水神的祭品alt Невеста бога воды
Author: Toma Rei
Artist: Toma Rei
Genres: Drama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceShoujo ShoujoSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story of a girl who slips back in time to a different era. While playing in her family's garden, Asahi gets sucked in by the small pond and when she wakes up she finds herself in a place that seems like Japan from ancient times. A powerful clan takes her in, but the reason for their kindness is that they intend to sacrifice her to the water god, the dragon, to be his bride... Now that she is at the mercy of a god who appears to know no compassion, what will Asahi's fate be?
Go to Suijin no Hanayome Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic So I was just wondering. Ship wise. What are everyone's feelings? New Window Koriru
  • 2 Replies

142 Comments

This manga breaks my heart every new chapter.

This God doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

Gods generally don't.

This manga breaks my heart every new chapter.

This God doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

There is only one The Bride of the Water God. That I will recognize...

Wasn't expecting this to be quite so...uh...harsh.

I knew the writer behind Arcana was different but wow... This plot has so many unexpected twists and turns I'm beside myself with amazement.

Spoiler

Okay. I hope the god does things in a way they villagers understand she shouldn't have done what they have done.

Because from what he saw, they'll again say it's the girl fault >_<

I absolutely adore the premise of this story. It has plenty of both heartwarming and heart-wrenching scenes to go around. Though I'm hoping that the Water God's relationship with Asahi will grow into something far sweeter in the future.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

I thought the villagers were just being your typical superstitious fools. Well, they are, but the mother. Woooow. She sacrificed the little girl not because she was trying to save her daughter or because the girl was alien or anything like that, but because this little girl is pretty and she's going to steal away her precious son's heart? Like, a vaguely incestuous and murderous jealousy sort of thing?

What a twist. I see our callous and amoral god is just starting to learn the basic human emotions like caring for a thing and anger for those who harm it, but let him take that in.

Actually quite common in Asian dramas involving restrictive mother(-in-laws). Very protective of their sons. It's usually a control thing rather than anything incestuous. But definitely murdery here.

Hope the water god didn't kill too many villagers though.

Also, all the gods look cute as humans.

I thought the villagers were just being your typical superstitious fools. Well, they are, but the mother. Woooow. She sacrificed the little girl not because she was trying to save her daughter or because the girl was alien or anything like that, but because this little girl is pretty and she's going to steal away her precious son's heart? Like, a vaguely incestuous and murderous jealousy sort of thing?

What a twist. I see our callous and amoral god is just starting to learn the basic human emotions like caring for a thing and anger for those who harm it, but let him take that in.

I really like the plot so far, but things seem very one-feeling driven so far and choppy T: It reminds me of the direction Arina Tanemura went in for Sakurahim Kaden.
I've always loved Toma Rei in the past though, so I'll watch out for this one. 

This is.. different. Not in a bad way, either. The water god's mood swings seem unnatural though.

His facial expressions doesn't even help either. @~ @

This is.. different. Not in a bad way, either. The water god's mood swings seem unnatural though.

This, I like this! I really, REALLY want to see how this plays out!!

*Insta-follow*

I want moar chapterrrrzzzzzzzzzz

It is unusual since in most fiction characters called "gods" would at least notice this sort of thing. Maybe that lake is actually just a completely separate multi-dimensional portal that he happens to use as a door to his own realm? Could be that calling him a powerful water spirit is more accurate than a god and there are other beings/forces at work that go beyond him? Or he's just such a huge misanthropic shut-in that things he should notice/know/care about go right over his head...

Or maybe some sort of crazy time-travel thing is going on where the god at some point in his future used his power to transport the girl to the past to ensure he meets her. Like he has the power at that future point to do things so his past self wouldn't notice?

Could be.  Or maybe they'll simply never explain it at all.

It does kind of surprise me that he didn't notice a sort of "disturbance in the force" in his lake when she did her dimensional portal through it--especially since near as I can figure, initially back at her place the water like grabbed her.

It is unusual since in most fiction characters called "gods" would at least notice this sort of thing. Maybe that lake is actually just a completely separate multi-dimensional portal that he happens to use as a door to his own realm? Could be that calling him a powerful water spirit is more accurate than a god and there are other beings/forces at work that go beyond him? Or he's just such a huge misanthropic shut-in that things he should notice/know/care about go right over his head...

Or maybe some sort of crazy time-travel thing is going on where the god at some point in his future used his power to transport the girl to the past to ensure he meets her. Like he has the power at that future point to do things so his past self wouldn't notice?

Terrible thing but I like her better mute

I don't understand how the god doesn't recognize her... If she somehow warped to the past through his lake, shouldn't he at least have been aware of such mystic happenings, even if he wasn't the direct cause of her transfer?

It does kind of surprise me that he didn't notice a sort of "disturbance in the force" in his lake when she did her dimensional portal through it--especially since near as I can figure, initially back at her place the water like grabbed her.

Meanwhile, it's vague but I'm having these resonances with Hana to Akuma.  Anyone else?

Wow, there's so much depth in these chapters

Oh, don't exaggerate. It's only the bottom of a lake.

!@#$@#! 

THAT cliff hanger!

whats what?!?!

'Whats this warm fuzzy feeling inside of me' probably

Wow, there's so much dept in these chapters; I've been looking to read something like this. 

You know you are getting addicted to this manga when your response to an update is chanting "yes" in a Gollum voice...<---what I realized I was doing LOL

I think after this experience Asahi will want to avoid water for a long while. I guess you could call her... Asahi Dry.

...I'll show myself out.

dont worry bro, you did good

!@#$@#! 

THAT cliff hanger!

whats what?!?!

is this an adaptation of the manhwa bride of the water god?

No. Apart from the name, the similarities are almost nonexistant.

I think after this experience Asahi will want to avoid water for a long while. I guess you could call her... Asahi Dry.

...I'll show myself out.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics