Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 647votes)

The New Gate

Alt Names: alt ザ·ニューゲートalt Η καινούρια Πύλη
Author: Kazanami Shinogi
Artist: Miwa Yoshiyuki
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: "THE NEW GATE", an online game that had turned into a death game, was now releasing the tens of thousands of players that had been dragged into it, thanks to the efforts of Shin, one of the oldest players. But after he had defeated the last boss and freed everyone, he was swallowed up by a strange light and found himself inside the game world 500 years in the future.

adaptation of the web novel of the same name

Original raw:
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/428000082/
Go to The New Gate Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Is TNG a sequel? New Window Jaded
  • 8 Replies
Topic What do they mean with "Death Game"? New Window PaterFrog
  • 8 Replies
Topic Manga Raws for everybody!! New Window YukitoOnline
  • 0 Replies
Topic Any other manga with similar plot? New Window chulex67
  • 22 Replies
Topic Is This a monthly release? New Window Aizawa
  • 4 Replies
Topic Light Novel New Window xatoatox
  • 8 Replies

1044 Comments

/ak/. followed.

edit: anyway, stop comparing. There's nothing to compare when this is just the first chapter and you still can't tell what route this is gonna go. the only thing that's similar is the setting's in a VRMMO (like how school is a setting, which might as well not be considered a similarity.)

and do I have to mention that they haven't even gone into details about this so-called death game yet? What do we know about it aside from MC calling it a death game, really.

Wait for the fucking details and stop assuming when there's lack of information, this can go anywhere.

why do people always compare it to SAO when it's about VRMMO/death game/alternate world with game life features....... there is a bunch of this genre and SAO is not the original...

I like that, I love getting massive stats boosts for beating a game, and its always fun to mess about in a game with the cheats on, this is going to be a fun one, espescially with /ak/

I don't think this is like log horizon, that's mostly alternate world... while this description says it's 500 years into the future. So I assume someone predicted the future and made a game based on that, thus, making the savior to be a qualified hero. It might be the work of some gods... cause he god blessed with godlike powers after winning the death game.

While sao is a realistic virtual reality, or virtual game... it's different.

I like log horizon and the other link I showed but sao, I don't like it cause it's all about saving some girl which seems that he never does. Though, this manga was a instant follow because I am big fan of the publisher and the setting is great.

Little note, the magazine is online and you can see the raws online:

http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/

They do gate jsdf, world customize creator, vrmm, b group shounen [boy that belongs to b group, about a bad ass MC], the white king, eden, the mage apprentice and many more that I read most of their publications while they were raws.

Well I will go with SAO, Log Horizon, Tsuyokute New Saga, and Rain. hahahaha a merge of some of my favorite light novels together, can't wait for the next chapter. Is this also a light novel made into a manga or is it just a manga?

SAO and log horizon is doubtful to be called a vr game as log horizon is more of a alternate world that works like a game and sao is sao

Both were VR games at start.

Log Horizon still use the same combat system (cd, specific effect, etc) so it's almost like a first person WoW raid. (including them learning wipes) It's also keeping things from power creeping too much by shifting around to give each character more developments.

SAO have the 'stance' to use sword skills (not really mentioned in anime, probably will in calibur to explains Kirito new dual wield) although admittedly it goes borderline alternate reality

Spoiler

p.s. I'm sadden by the fact that none of you posted /ak/ gif yet.

SAO and log horizon is doubtful to be called a vr game as log horizon is more of a alternate world that works like a game and sao is sao

they are both VR games gone wrong though.. not so much alternate world....

This series is more Rain + VRMMORPG than anything else. SAO likely had little influence on this series anyways, so I think that argument is invalid. In fact, I'd say that the most similar story would be Tsuyokute New Saga. SAO and Log Horizon only share the VR game aspect. 

Okay, this series may have some similar points to other series but let's forget that and just enjoy it.

This series is more Rain + VRMMORPG than anything else. SAO likely had little influence on this series anyways, so I think that argument is invalid. In fact, I'd say that the most similar story would be Tsuyokute New Saga. SAO and Log Horizon only share the VR game aspect. 

@UnlimitedBlades Well there has been quite a few differences already.

Let's see...

I'm guessing the main character is OPed as hell already.
There's lots of blood gushing everywhere instead of the digital damage or the rainbow effects from SAO and LH. Not to mention the boss's leg and wing was cleaved off.
The main character isn't using dual wielding. He uses magic and sword skills (but come on almost all rpg games have these sorta skills).
He soloed the last boss. In Kirito's and Shiroe's case has mostly been about raid groups. Hell Kirito didn't even solo his last boss in the first season of SAO. He had assistance which lead to his victory.

Sure you can say the cloths look similar, but you can't say it's the same. I highly doubt Kirito was the first person the wear an all black trenchcoat like outfit while wielding a sword into battle.
He wasn't transported into another game world after he cleared the game. He was transported into a real version of that game world (I think). Maybe it's just him that has these game like menu because he was stuck in a game before. The enchantment or something carried over?

While I do agree that these game world settings are being overused recently it seems like this isn't the case here since he's now in the real version of the game world at least from what I can tell. I'm gonna follow it because... Elf Girls.

People please stop saying SAO copy here and there, before SAO there were already VRMMORPG themed stories out there, much better ones for that matter.

Although I'll admit this one is quite similar but I'm liking this ending a lot better.....

really anther Sword arts copy

There was a lot more manga before sao with the same pattern. :)

really anther Sword arts copy

Is this another web novel? I'm getting that kind of feel from it.

basiclly the autor read SAO and thought "what if?" quite interesting though

lol @ this, it seems like some weird Sword Art Online parody-continuation. The initial premise is EXACTLY the same, just change Sword Art Online with "THE NEW GATE". Even the main character's armor and fighting style is similar to Kirito's. The whole transported into the game world is lifted straight from Log Horizon. It seems like someone took SAO, fused it with Log Horizon at the end, and slapped 500 years into the future to make it not a total rip off. I'm all for this kind of game world premise, but the author needs to at least make an effort to differentiate his setting from other more popular works.

Still it's only 1 chapter so far. I hate the lazy writing at the start, but there's still potential. I'll give it a chance.

The 500 years into the future is great it gave me expectations.

There's another new manga out there where the MC is in a fantasy game world but is powerless, except when he dies: he starts over from the same place and same time.

http://en.1kkk.com/manhua15686/

Commonly-used theme these days, but with a reasonable twist. Seems like a better result for him than actually being freed, really. Now he gets rewarded for his efforts by getting to continue to live out his character.
Worth a look, at the least.

Edit: awwwww sheiiiit, it's an /ak/ work. Now I definitely have to read it.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics