Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.77 - 22votes)

Ozanari Dungeon

Alt Names: alt おざなりダンジョンalt 奇兵大冒險alt Dragon Ozanari Moka?alt Jovens Guerreirosalt Nữ dũng sĩ Maca ( Vietnamese )
Author: Koyama Motoo
Artist: Koyama Motoo
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureFantasy FantasyShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: This manga follows the adventures of a group of mercenaries: the barbarian Mocha (the main character), the rogue Buruman, and the mage Kiliman (Blue Mountain and Killie Mountain, respectively, are famous coffee brands in Japan).

Mocha and her gang belong to a dark mercenary guild. Mocha, being a barbarian, has great physical strength and, of course, she has no brain. Despite her very revealing suit, she is very innocent, pure and naive. The story starts when a light master seeks to hire some mercenaries, and the guild refuses to help him since he has no money with him. So the dark guild master sends Mocha, Buruman, and Kiliman to aid him. It's really not a great start but this is how everything begins.

The author's drawing dramatically improves after volume 5. The plot becomes much more refined as well. It can be considered a typical adventure story. However, this manga goes a little deeper than that.

After volume 10 or so, the plot becomes really profound and deep. Dragons are involved, and whole nations go to war. The scale becomes quite large. Really enjoyable manga.
Go to Ozanari Dungeon Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

46 Comments

BTW, since he hasn't been introduced so far, the guy about to be eaten by Laius is Esprit the Astral, currently masquerading as Mocha's cheaty-ass magic sword. Mocha basically knows what her sword really is (so does Killy, but Buruman only suspects what's going on) and she doesn't really mind except for those times Esprit drags her into the outer-plane magic wars between the Astrals and the Black Dragon.

He's introduced in ch. 08, or the first chapter of the second volume if anyone wants to go back and read it.

6b88d80a66.jpg

BTW, since he hasn't been introduced so far, the guy about to be eaten by Laius is Esprit the Astral, currently masquerading as Mocha's cheaty-ass magic sword. Mocha basically knows what her sword really is (so does Killy, but Buruman only suspects what's going on) and she doesn't really mind except for those times Esprit drags her into the outer-plane magic wars between the Astrals and the Black Dragon.

6b88d80a66.jpg

That said, I don't consider 'select arcs' to be re-releases either.

You kind of have to, because they specifically didn't include those chapters in the 2009 10 volume re-issue.

It was re-issued, actually, in 2004 (3 volumes, select arcs), 2008 (1 volume, again not the entire thing) and in 2009 (10 volumes, basically the rest, that wasn't in previous reissues). Due to the previous re-issues only being select parts the ordering is a bit different than the original. Also the re-issues have extra bonus comics (Nano Dungeon Red & Blue).

If anyone wants to tackle fixing the old chapters up, feel free. It'll be a long time before we do those, if at all.

I was talking about fan scanlations specifically.

That said, I don't consider 'select arcs' to be re-releases either.

... never had re-issues. ...

It was re-issued, actually, in 2004 (3 volumes, select arcs), 2008 (1 volume, again not the entire thing) and in 2009 (10 volumes, basically the rest, that wasn't in previous reissues). Due to the previous re-issues only being select parts the ordering is a bit different than the original. Also the re-issues have extra bonus comics (Nano Dungeon Red & Blue).

... the translations [of the old chapters] ...

If anyone wants to tackle fixing the old chapters up, feel free. It'll be a long time before we do those, if at all.

be warned the translations, that i have found at least, for the early chapters are so atrocious it makes me want to cry.

Oh definitely, but you can't expect much out of a manga that was published in the 80's and never had re-issues. (Try re-read early scanlations of Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball. Those are PAINFUL to read!)

If you don't mind looking at certain leeching sites, you can find them pretty easily.

be warned the translations, that i have found at least, for the early chapters are so atrocious it makes me want to cry.

Oh man. I don't want spoiIers, so the search for a place to read the previous volumes begins-!!

If you don't mind looking at certain leeching sites, you can find them pretty easily.

Oh man. I don't want spoiIers, so the search for a place to read the previous volumes begins-!!

Hell of a project, this one. Good on you for doing it, much appreciated.

God! Hope this gets translated past volume 15. That's when the translation in my country suddenly stopped with no explanation.
How many volumes does this manga have anyway?
I'm going to dig out the manga from my closet and reread them.

It has 17 volumes (10+1 in the re-print version).
Then the follow-up story, Nariyuki Dungeon has 3 volumes.
The prequel, Naozari Dungeon has 8 volumes.
And finally Ozanari Dungeon: Tactics, which follows after Nariyuki time-line-wise, has 6 volumes.

Thank you! Mocha was licensed in my country years ago and I don't know what happen (never see it again in store) and I think because it wasn't popular title they didn't re-release it, yet.

I hope someone want to do its sequels too...

We're probably going to do those as we get to them, but it's going to take a while until we're there. I'm actually currently reading through Naozari Dungeon right now (the prequel, started serialization 2006).
Either that or doing a re-translation of the old parts since the currently available English scanlation for ch. 1 to 59 is a bit so-so. But in the latter case we would probably like to use some HQ raws rather than the ebook ones we're using now.

Also the re-print version has some extra omake-comics, Nano Dungeon Red and Nano Dungeon Blue, those would be nice to translate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to end it all with an aside: To anybody who hasn't seen it I'd recommend watching the 3 ep OVA too, it's pretty fun.

Thank you! Mocha was licensed in my country years ago and I don't know what happen (never see it again in store) and I think because it wasn't popular title they didn't re-release it, yet.

I hope someone want to do its sequels too...

God! Hope this gets translated past volume 15. That's when the translation in my country suddenly stopped with no explanation.

How many volumes does this manga have anyway?

I'm going to dig out the manga from my closet and reread them.

Habanero doing God's work.

Wow, never imagined this would ever be translated.

This is great. Did it never get an official English translation? I never came across it in stores and I think I would have remembered. 

The main character is a complete bumpkin and therefore completely adorable. The whole thing is fun in a way few manga are now.  

Thanks for bringing these chapters to us. 

Never officially translated in English. Mocha is not so much a bumpkin as a literal barbarian. She started off the series hunting monsters and taking jobs from the dark guild by... er... phone...

Let's explain... The world of Ozanari Dungeon is basically a "magical technology" world where true magi power all the technology we see either directly (like the telepathic hologram caster) or through magical items used as batteries. Dr. Morro (dude with robot ostrich) is the one outlier; a mad scientist who's trying to singlehandedly develop non-magical technology for the world. This is a bit ironic because it was actually Morro himself who had singlehandedly invented magical technology to begin with.

Here's what happened: Ages ago the original true magi of the world had ascended to a semi-divine state called "Astrals" and built themselves the Magic Academy (a great temple floating in the sky), presided over by Great Soul, the greatest magus. In the wake of the Academy's formation, the Astrals retired from the world and true magic simply disappeared for a very long time. Thus, when Morro was young, the majority of self-proclaimed magi were hucksters using cheap tricks. This was how he'd learned not to trust in "magic" and how he'd started his career as a scientist. To be fair, it was a medieval world and he was the first of his profession. Then he met Lady Yona. Yona was a young mercenary commander at the time, and she and Morro had an adventure together in some forgettable kingdom somewhere fighting its fake-magus grand vizier. To Morro's (and the vizier's) surprise, Yona's mercenary band actually contained an elite force of true magi who wielded true magic. Long story short, they beat up the vizier, Yona recruited Morro into her force and together they formed the Guild; a free "nation" of mercenaries who fought and died only for their own sake, victim to no ambition but their own. The fledgling Guild had an advantage in having a bunch of true magi in their ranks and in time became a gathering place for the majority of the new magi who had rediscovered magic independently after the Astrals' departure. Morro gave the Guild technology, combining his science with the power of the true magi, harnessing magic to give the world modern-day conveniences - hence Mocha's magic phone and the magic holoprojector. This was how the Guild had become a superpower and influenced the course of the world. Mocha was born to this world, then proceeded to make a mess of it with her adventures - literally. As for Morro, he may have been one of the world's most influential people, but he's really just a minor side character who only appeared in later volumes. Also, most people think he's a crazy old fogey now for basically rejecting everything he'd built and insisting on finding a non-magical power source to power his contraptions. This is the basic setting of Ozanari Dungeon, shown in a few flashback chapters that don't really affect the main plot much.

Mocha started the series working for the dark guild, which is basically a pathetic small-time shady operation taking on jobs the real Guild consider beneath them. Later she joined the real Guild. In chapters 60 and 61, the Guild referred to is the real one. Please don't confuse it with the fake one mentioned in the manga's description.

This manga is great wholesome fun with a very well thought out plot, a rich, deeply explored setting, and great, well-developed characters. In my view it deserves far more recognition than it got. The comparison to Slayers isn't even fair because this manga is much richer than Slayers in almost every aspect. Plus Mocha is in no way an OP character and she is deeply influenced by other people and events in her adventures. She's not even in any way the strongest warrior in her world - unlike Lina who could kill gods. Mocha is indomitable but not invincible.

BTW, the strongest warrior right now is Buster Keaton (and now you know why this manga never got licensed), the bald bare-chested dude with no facial features and the weird eyes. This title used to belong to Mocha's adopted dad who was basically Conan the Barbarian crossed with Hercules with a sprinkling of Guts flavor and Achilles' invulnerable balls. That's why she's such a badass li'l gal.

About the names: Dr. Morro's name is of course taken from Dr. Moreau. The names of the three main characters are Mocha, Killy Mountain (anthropomorphic wolf mage), and Blue Manjaro (anthropomorphic dog thief). Kilimanjaro and Blue Mountain are famous coffee brands in Japan. There are other names you'll spot as more chapters are scanlated.

This is great. Did it never get an official English translation? I never came across it in stores and I think I would have remembered. 

The main character is a complete bumpkin and therefore completely adorable. The whole thing is fun in a way few manga are now.  

Thanks for bringing these chapters to us. 

This was one of my favorite manga growing up. A word of warning, though: Ozanari Dungeon itself was canceled right around the start of its final arc. The continuation of the story came years later with the series Nariyuki Dungeon, Naozari Dungeon, and Ozanari Dungeon Special. Also, THIS MANGA IS AWESOME. Please POF and Habanero, continue scanlating the whole set of manga all the way to the end.

Thank You, Thank You.  For picking this up.  An old favourite. :)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics