Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 233votes)

Kakukaku Shikajika

Alt Names: alt かくかくしかじかalt So-and-so, Such-and-such
Author: Higashimura Akiko
Artist: Higashimura Akiko
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaJosei JoseiSchool Life School LifeSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: This is an autobiography that tells the story of Akiko Hayashi, the author as she was in her third year of high school at the beginning of the story. Through her friend Futami, Akiko starts going to an art class led by Kenzou Hidaka, an intimidating teacher who spends much of his time yelling at his students and keeping them focused on drawing with the use of a bamboo sword. Akiko is initially confused by the behavior of the teacher and her fellow students in the class, but she keeps going regardless, eventually becoming the manga author she is today.

Winner of the 2015 Manga Taisho Award.
Go to Kakukaku Shikajika Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

75 Comments

14 years of bitterness due to a publisher change.  Higashimura is such an otaku.

That poor kid with the straws poking up :D :D

Every time I finish reading a new chapter I feel like standing and applauding...

Ten out of ten.

Well for me, I'm not focusing on how it'll end because that's the last thing I usually think of when a manga is just getting started (I'm the type who gets shocked when a good manga ends in just one volume). Honestly though, I don't think she'll make this manga too sappy of an ending. It is a homage/autobiography so instead of sappy, it'll be, as you said a more hopeful/touching note (typically memoirs/autobiographies written by people alive wouldn't end on a sad note). However,  every chapter ends with bittersweet-ness. For chapter 4, I honestly felt as though I'll cry at the end because of the somewhat overwhelming bittersweet emotions (I didn't but I feel them in my tear ducts)

I already am crying.

T_T

One of the great points in autobiographical works is that the characters are so human. With all their minor errors and failures. One can easily relate to that.

I think it also really helps that there is graphic content that doesn't depict art of realism like manga because the story is enough of a slice of life that if the graphic content depicts realism, it might interfere with the ability for readers to "easily relate". I haven't read many autobiographies but from what I've read, it's hard to relate at times because there is a need to visualize whereas with this manga, I don't need to make that effort. Because it's manga and since realism isn't "allowed" in manga art, it gives enough freedom for readers to kind of combine their imagination with the graphic as the story goes along. That's just me though.

One of the great points in autobiographical works is that the characters are so human. With all their minor errors and failures. One can easily relate to that.

Once again I'm overwhelmed by the emotions...

I usually steer clear from shoujo and josei, but this sort of thing(autobiography manga) is good too

Oh no...four years of hell? 

But lol, this chapter, 1.5 million xD 

I am beginning to understand why Higashimura Akiko's characters are always so crazy.

lol well you know, draw/write from what you know xD

I am beginning to understand why Higashimura Akiko's characters are always so crazy.

lol I don't want my work to track me reading manga. (keep record of internet based stuff, lot of sensitive info changing hands)

Indecently googles day of the doctor doodle game apparently cost 137 million dollars due to people playing it while at work instead of working.

The chapter cracked me up, this is why I shouldn't read white at work.   lol lunchtime but still, lol

lol I don't want my work to track me reading manga. (keep record of internet based stuff, lot of sensitive info changing hands)

The chapter cracked me up, this is why I shouldn't read white at work.   lol lunchtime but still, lol

chimpanko

Lol, that nickname made me smile.

chimpanko

I felt that same bittersweet feeling at the end of that chapter and I almost cried too. 

Yea it definitely is focused on her Sensei. And it is pretty evident that her Sensei is most likely not around anymore. So I guess I can see where it might have a sad ending but I think it'll end on a more hopeful/touching note since the author is still writing and drawing to this day and probably just wants to tell the story of an important time in her life where she met an incredible person(her Sensei) who influenced her greatly.

Well for me, I'm not focusing on how it'll end because that's the last thing I usually think of when a manga is just getting started (I'm the type who gets shocked when a good manga ends in just one volume). Honestly though, I don't think she'll make this manga too sappy of an ending. It is a homage/autobiography so instead of sappy, it'll be, as you said a more hopeful/touching note (typically memoirs/autobiographies written by people alive wouldn't end on a sad note). However,  every chapter ends with bittersweet-ness. For chapter 4, I honestly felt as though I'll cry at the end because of the somewhat overwhelming bittersweet emotions (I didn't but I feel them in my tear ducts)

Yea it definitely is focused on her Sensei. And it is pretty evident that her Sensei is most likely not around anymore. So I guess I can see where it might have a sad ending but I think it'll end on a more hopeful/touching note since the author is still writing and drawing to this day and probably just wants to tell the story of an important time in her life where she met an incredible person(her Sensei) who influenced her greatly.

Instead of an autobiography, it feels more like a homage to her sensei whom she learned so much from. There is a mood of sentimentalism as though she wrote this in honor of her sensei due to possibly his recent passing (i don't know if he did in fact pass away) especially after reading chapter 2 where she says at the end in her present time, "It's too late now, isn't it? Don't be mad, sensei."

Ooh we get to see how the author of Kuragehime became the author she is today?

oh no it's gonna have a sad ending i can feel it

I'm not sure what kind of sad ending/ tragedy vibe you're getting from this but considering it's an autobiography I'd say this work would be more along the lines of being melancholy if she recalls past regrets or w/e.

Author: HIGASHIMURA Akiko  insta follow !

oh no it's gonna have a sad ending i can feel it

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics