Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.22 - 128votes)

Meiyaku no Leviathan

Alt Names: alt 盟約のリヴァイアサンalt Meiyaku No Rivaiasanalt The Leviathan of the Covenant
Author: Bau & Taketsuki Jou
Artist: Tatetsu Teto
Genres: Action ActionComedy ComedyDrama DramaEcchi EcchiHarem HaremRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: It happened to be in the modern era when humanity became subjected to the menaces of the dragons. To fend for themselves, people conjured ways of manipulating magic to summon and impel manufactured, so-called “Leviathans.” The contractors of these “serpents” were supposedly the only ones designated to destroy the dragons, as they were the world's ‘valkyries of salvation.’ Named “Magi,” these maidens would accompany their leviathans as they were meant to lead the everyday resistance against the dragons...

This is an adaptation from the light novel series written by Taketsuki Jou and illustrated by Nimura Yuuji.
Go to Meiyaku no Leviathan Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

187 Comments

You fucked up and got called out on it. Shut up and take your medicine.

bleh, how many of adaptions actually gets more than 30 chapter, compared to those that ended? Especially those that have not or failed to receive anime adaptions...?

Again, I'm talking about whether the publishers intend to invest on these adaptions.

For publishers, they have a limited amount of pages to publish their works and if it didnt get enough popularity, they are just gonna end them and replace with new titles. Furthermore it takes time for their monthly magazine to find a suitable point to at least end their current arc and even if it takes 2-6 chapters then it is already 2-6 months for that.

Surely, theres many many more LN that gets adapted into manga, but they dont have as much resource that are invested on them as those I listed. heck, theres even a wiki page that list them and even though it is very incomplete it already has many in it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_and_manga_based_on_light_novels

Of course, it is also my bad that I only listed 3 and didn't leave any room and says theres other examples too as I was only thinking of easier examples. 

From your examples, aside from Wolf and Spice and DxD and maybe Madan are the ones that also did managed to actually receive investment from their publisher/company while the others are somewhat ended already or has a very rushed pace.

Imo, many adapted mangas ends around volume 1~5 of the LN, but if it can get past it then they are what i considered as actually receive investment. Some that use alternative method like splitting every single arc to different manga like SAO or Mahouka are also invested ones, even if theres rushed crappy art mixed in it like Aincrad or Yokohama arc, afterall the cost used for publishing every single arc is surely much higher than just publishing one manga.

They are bound to be LN promotional mangas. They are published monthly so their pace wouldnt be able to catch up to the LN for sure. Their goal is just to make the readers to be interested in the LN.

Not many publishers actually tried to invest in producing manga adapted from LN. The only ones that actually gets invested that I can think of are Toaru,SAO,Gate (JSDF). Gate was a surprise for me tho.

You fucked up and got called out on it. Shut up and take your medicine.

"serpents" went out the window the minute they summoned a fox....

yea... I still have no idea how that thing's a "snake" (serpent)...

I think the author is just using random materials now... lol

Off the top of my head, light novels that got the full manga/anime/body pillows and other weird stuff treatment:

Wolf and Spice

*can't remember the full name* Vandis

C^3 (hurray for short names!)

*something something* Blade Dance

The Nobunaga anime where everyone is a girl.

High School DxD

You are remarkably immature if those are the only 3 you can think of.

Surely, theres many many more LN that gets adapted into manga, but they dont have as much resource that are invested on them as those I listed. heck, theres even a wiki page that list them and even though it is very incomplete it already has many in it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_and_manga_based_on_light_novels

Of course, it is also my bad that I only listed 3 and didn't leave any room and says theres other examples too as I was only thinking of easier examples. 

From your examples, aside from Wolf and Spice and DxD and maybe Madan are the ones that also did managed to actually receive investment from their publisher/company while the others are somewhat ended already or has a very rushed pace.

Imo, many adapted mangas ends around volume 1~5 of the LN, but if it can get past it then they are what i considered as actually receive investment. Some that use alternative method like splitting every single arc to different manga like SAO or Mahouka are also invested ones, even if theres rushed crappy art mixed in it like Aincrad or Yokohama arc, afterall the cost used for publishing every single arc is surely much higher than just publishing one manga.

I ship Juujouji and Haruga.

They are bound to be LN promotional mangas. They are published monthly so their pace wouldnt be able to catch up to the LN for sure. Their goal is just to make the readers to be interested in the LN.

Not many publishers actually tried to invest in producing manga adapted from LN. The only ones that actually gets invested that I can think of are Toaru,SAO,Gate (JSDF). Gate was a surprise for me tho.

Aside from all the other ones that were listed, there is also Zero no Tsukaima, Index, Dantelion no shoka, and Dakar boku wa, H ga Dekinai among others. Hell, even Overlord (which is currently airing) is from a LN that has a manga adaptation as well.

Off the top of my head, light novels that got the full manga/anime/body pillows and other weird stuff treatment:

Wolf and Spice

High School DxD

Wolf and Spice

Anime have split story

Manga ... not continued ?

Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Anime ... partial way, dunno if continued or not (probably not, since there's END words at final ep)

Manga ... dunno how long ...

CubexCursedxCurious (C3) ...

Anime cover partial way ... and seems not continued anymore (already few years) ...

Manga ... seems not continued and not finished ...

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Anime cover partial way ...

Manga ... not continued yet ?

Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Anime have split story ... also can't get continued since the splitting against LN story ...

(Super sadistic shouta don't appear, and he is vital for story continuation)

Manga ... not continued yet ?

High School DxD

Anime and manga seems tried to go as far as possible ...

Manga get left far behind compared anime tough ...

Wolf and Spice

High School DxD

Serpent?

That's a fucking fox

Not sure what it was at the time of your posting but the current one here is from the manga. It says MF Comics at the bottom left.

thats not the same cover so...

"serpents" went out the window the minute they summoned a fox....

Thats why there are so many LN related mangas that rush through several volumes of the story before ending without conclusion or telling completely irrelevant side stories right?

There have always been LN promotional mangas, the industry just isn't stupid enough to outright admit it.

The cover isn't from the manga, but from the LN >.>.

Not sure what it was at the time of your posting but the current one here is from the manga. It says MF Comics at the bottom left.

I thought Kurama was born from the Juubi but lo & behold it was her that actually gave birth :D

There is no such thing as LN promotion manga, either a manga does well and it continues to be serialized or it does badly and is axed. That's how it works, if something is axed it means it wasn't popular enough, that is all.

Thats why there are so many LN related mangas that rush through several volumes of the story before ending without conclusion or telling completely irrelevant side stories right?

There have always been LN promotional mangas, the industry just isn't stupid enough to outright admit it.

Spoiler

huh? the manga ended at just vol 1

Spoiler

There is no such thing as LN promotion manga, either a manga does well and it continues to be serialized or it does badly and is axed. That's how it works, if something is axed it means it wasn't popular enough, that is all.

Plus this series is also an LN promotion, it ends with Volume 3.

I'm not even surprised of these things, has no one in japan thought that they could actually profit more from a well made adaptation?

Though I guess 3 volumes is still above average

I like this manga, it has dragons(?)... but It just takes too long for it to be of any entertainment :/

Viscans has a lot of series they're working on and they pick up another new series not so long ago. I don't know why they keep picking up new series since this might be be slowing down their updates. ( they also like picking new series and just drop it halfway) If they can't give a good attention to it, it's better not to pick it up and concentrate on the series they're currently working on  than picking a series that they're gonna update in every 4 months.

Spoiler

Spoiler

They just leave the school just like that?? How easy. 

Wait what? That setup and they are just going to his house? XD

Hmm, I dunno about the phrasing in a lot of the dialogue in this chapter. Feels quite stilted. Easy to comprehend, sure, which is what matters most--but I don't particularly enjoy awkward word choice/position.

Example: "A weapon above the heavens that can wound dragons." Um, I don't see any clouds. Maybe "weapon FROM the heavens" or simply "divine/heavenly weapon?" I haven't seen the raws, but I'm fairly certain that even in Japanese, the author wouldn't actually intend to give the impression that the weapon is located in the sky or whatever.

actually, all those interpretations are wrong. It was literally a weapon above heaven (i.e. stronger than heaven) and I don't see any real way a proofer can phrase it better ('higher rank'? nope, it's not mentioned it was rank, or power, or anything. just that it was above.)

but other than that, I'm open to suggestions/opinions on where I could improve on phrasing. Although some of the vocab (and phrasing) used was exactly what they used in the jap raws, meh.

And regarding other talks about why stuff (at VI) are slow, most of it are due to lazy tl-ers (I'm the only one doing this project and I actually didn't sign up for this shit, so...I'm more of a back up tl-er for this series and I don't really like tl-ing this much, mainly due to long and wordy chapters)

Also, one of the most weirdly phrased parts in this chapter might be panel 1 of http://vatoto.com/read/_/297038/meiyaku-no-leviathan_ch8_by_village-idiot/12I suppose. The reason it was phrased this way was due to the nature of the japanese language. The sentence was deliberately phrased in such a way that the first part was talking about the glory of the dragons (without specifically saying dragons, but had implied that the reader would automatically know he was talking about dragons), with the 2nd part actually explaining he was talking about dragons, 'in case you ignorant humans did not realize'. In other words, feel free to rephrase offer a better suggestion that does not include 'dragons' in the first bubble, and I'll take it into consideration for future tls. (the line in particular was tl'd as literal as I could, I guess) Soth is an arrogant prick, as natural for dragons, hence the way he said things.

In any case, drakes = dragons, the tl is different just to reflect the different use of kanji and katakana (drake = ryuu (kanji), dragon = doragon (katakana) in this series, if you guys didn't realize it yet.

i kinda dont understand all the plot of this manga -_-.. maybe ill get to the novel rather than the manga -_-

Hmm it is a tad slow but I think what is making feel slower than it is is the fact that we only see a chapter once every few months :( I'm not complaining (okay maybe a little :P) but when the release schedule is like this you tend to not be able to get into the flow of the story.

Viscans has a lot of series they're working on and they pick up another new series not so long ago. I don't know why they keep picking up new series since this might be be slowing down their updates. ( they also like picking new series and just drop it halfway) If they can't give a good attention to it, it's better not to pick it up and concentrate on the series they're currently working on  than picking a series that they're gonna update in every 4 months.

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics