Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.68 - 169votes)

Gunka no Baltzar

Alt Names: alt Baltzar Militarismusalt Bernd Balzeralt 軍靴のバルツァーalt Gunka no Baltzeralt Gunka no Balzer
Author: Nakajima Michitsune
Artist: Nakajima Michitsune
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalSchool Life School LifeSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Glory is won over the roar of cannon fire. Peace exists simply as a time to prepare for the next battle. In a nation with superb military power, Bernd Baltzar advanced quickly through the ranks. However, his career now takes a sudden turn when he is reassigned to being the military advisor in a neighboring allied nation with little military power and a lack of civilian support of firearms. Will Major Baltzar be able to win the hearts and minds of both the soldiers and civilians in this country?
Go to Gunka no Baltzar Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

290 Comments

Damn, i got both a Balzer chapter AND an interesting historical light novel beneath me to read. A fine start to this day.

Lances in WW1/WW2 were "used" the same way the Swiss Guard in Vatican City use swords, spears and halberds. They didn't get used. They were ornamental. Its why the Uhlans are so "famous". They're the only unit that used lances to any notable degree after the turn of the century.

Armor doesn't say much either. Most militaries never actually developed/invested in armor due to production/economic costs. The image of the heavy breastplate wearing infantryman is just another popular military trope.

Look, if you believe lances were ornamental to Lancer regiments at the start of WW1 you clearly have a lot of learning to do. In 1903 lances in the British Army were relegated to the ceremonial role as you said, but the decision was reversed in 1909. For that matter, try riding a horse while carrying a lance. I had a chance to try out a replica of the famous M 1893 cavalry lance shown here back in 2003 when I was still living in Mass:

http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer20c_techofwar_lance.html

If you ever tried doing that you'd realize that to a Lancer deployed with a regulation lance, that lance would automatically become his primary weapon, in that there is no way in heck he could use any other weapon on horseback while still holding on to his lance as regulation required. He'd have to stop, house the lance on the shoulder strap (for German Lancers; British Lancers had lance buckets), draw the other weapon, use it, holster it, then unhouse the lance from its strap (or bucket) before moving again. Why? Because a 3m long heavy poky stick will very quickly make your horse (and you) extremely uncomfortable when hanging uncontrolled from your shoulder (or seated in the bucket). The lance was so unwieldy it actually posed a danger to the Lancer, especially when the guidon was attached (by 1915 guidons were removed from lances) because it made them visible from very far away.

R.L.V. Blake, who wrote the postwar history of the famous 17th Lancers had this to say about the Lancers near the start of WW1:

"Cavalry policy still remained one of indecision, so that after 1910 the Lancer found himself, like the White Knight, carrying all three weapons; sword in scabbard on the near side, rifle in the rifle-bucket on the off side, lance slung or held by the right hand with its butt on a lance-bucket on the stirrup."

In other words, if the damn things were supposed to be ornamental, Lancers wouldn't have been bringing them to the actual battlefield - which they did! Partly because their superiors were idiots and partly because they themselves were dinosaurs stuck in the ways of a bygone era. Don't confuse usefulness for usage. Yes, the lance was damn useless even by the late 19th century, but it didn't mean Lancers stopped trying to use them. Thanks to that, in WW1, lances were used exactly as intended in the battlefield, as primary weapon of Lancer cavalry (and yes, Uhlans) well into 1918, but they were useless because the Lancer cavalry themselves never got around to doing charges at any point during the war, with the one possible exception of the famous March 1918 600-yard charge of the British 17th Cavalry in support of the 9th Australian Infantry Brigade.

In short, yes, lances were useless by WW1, but they were neither ornamental nor used as ornaments like you seem to believe. The very unwieldiness of the lance made it impossible to use it as anything but a lance, and Lancers were very much waiting all war long for that one opportunity to charge gloriously like their forefathers did. It wasn't the lance that went out of use but the Lancers themselves. The 17th Lancers were converted to mounted infantry in 1914, dismounted by 1916, were remounted for Cambrai in 1917 but without their lances, then received their lances back just in time for the Spring Offensive of 1918. By November of 1918, the lances were gone again and the unit was merged with the 21st by 1922, no longer carrying lances except for ceremonial purposes.

My comment about the cavalry in Balzar was to point out the absurdity of their makeup. Uhlans were lance-equipped light cavalry (sometimes but not always - they're more famous for their sabers) used for raiding. Hussars were light cavalry equipped with sabers and firearms (with the exception of the heavy armored Polish Winged Hussars who used extremely long lances) whose primary job by the Napoleonic era was to find food and water for the troops and to capture strategic points. Both Uhlans and Hussars did not ride chargers but smaller, more agile horse breeds. Lancers were primarily heavy cavalry deployed next to large infantry formations to support them and charge other large infantry formations. They had also stopped wearing armor and riding heavy chargers by the time of the Crimean War (the 17th Lancers were part of the Charge of the Light Brigade). Cuirassiers were an older form of cavalry who wore breastplates (cuirasses) and did ride heavy chargers like the knights of old. 

What Nakajima-sensei had done here was to mix-and-match these various very different types of cavalry to come up with a weird combo that shouldn't work in real life, then gave them halberds to boot (well, okay, some Dragoons did have halberds, but come on!). Heavy chargers, for instance, would be useless in cross-country pursuit because they're relatively slow horses that tire easily. Plus they need to be fed oats and a special kind of bread, which would make them far from ideal for doing Hussar work. Hussar horses by nature of their riders' job had to be flex-fuel compatible, eating whatever is available on the field (usually grass). Cuirassiers (the men) also couldn't function well without proper support thanks to their heavy cuirasses. They usually moved with support wagons carrying spare equipment, supplies, and servants. Cuirassiers simply couldn't do cross-country Hussar-style deployment unless they dumped their armor (and these guys didn't; they're still wearing theirs). In short, really, really cool looking in manga, but in no way realistic.

Fuck this story getting so epic now ;_;

Lances were used by cavalry as late as WW1 (in Poland well into WW2). Here are some photographs showing that (the weirdest being the one of the lance-equipped German cavalryman wearing a gas mask):

http://www.militariarg.com/cavalry-and-carriages.html

Your statement should be requalified a bit. Lances were the PRIMARY weapon of Lancer cavalry regiments (obviously) but not otherwise used by other types of cavalry, which formed the majority. 

The biggest problem with the cavalry in Balzar is that they're in effect Uhlans who ride heavy chargers and find themselves deployed to do the work of Hussars while fighting as Lancers equipped with halberds.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget being decked up in armor like Cuirassiers of a prior era.

Lances in WW1/WW2 were "used" the same way the Swiss Guard in Vatican City use swords, spears and halberds. They didn't get used. They were ornamental. Its why the Uhlans are so "famous". They're the only unit that used lances to any notable degree after the turn of the century.

Armor doesn't say much either. Most militaries never actually developed/invested in armor due to production/economic costs. The image of the heavy breastplate wearing infantryman is just another popular military trope.

qk936s6.png

Dat Asimov.

Actually lances were used during the napeonlic timeperiod, but as you say not as the primary weapons of cavalry. Google "Uhlans" ;)

Lances were used by cavalry as late as WW1 (in Poland well into WW2). Here are some photographs showing that (the weirdest being the one of the lance-equipped German cavalryman wearing a gas mask):

http://www.militariarg.com/cavalry-and-carriages.html

Your statement should be requalified a bit. Lances were the PRIMARY weapon of Lancer cavalry regiments (obviously) but not otherwise used by other types of cavalry, which formed the majority. 

The biggest problem with the cavalry in Balzar is that they're in effect Uhlans who ride heavy chargers and find themselves deployed to do the work of Hussars while fighting as Lancers equipped with halberds.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget being decked up in armor like Cuirassiers of a prior era.

The German of the author isn't too terrible, but "Leben wie ein Schwert" (chapter 21 page 12, the coat of arms) really means "live like a sword" and not "live by the sword" (there is no real German equivalent for that phrase).

Well, you know, those who live like a sword, die like a sword? :P

Thanks scanlators for another Great chapter! :D

such a great new chapter!! Thanks for the scans as always!

"- Fuck, I killed my horse ! - Me too ! - Whose bad idea was that ?! ""

qk936s6.png

I'm trying to picture Captain Nielson and his regiment charging at Bernd&friends with giant scythes now~

"- Fuck, I killed my horse ! - Me too ! - Whose bad idea was that ?! ""

The German of the author isn't too terrible, but "Leben wie ein Schwert" (chapter 21 page 12, the coat of arms) really means "live like a sword" and not "live by the sword" (there is no real German equivalent for that phrase).

Also, he keeps using indefinite articles, probably because he doesn't understand how to use the definite ones (der,die,das), but it looks pretty weird.

You know, i suddenly have an urge now to mod in a black robe and a scythe into M&B Warband and play as a Horsereaper. Maybe mod in some of that chromated armor in a skeleton like fashion like in LotR for the horses too.

I'm trying to picture Captain Nielson and his regiment charging at Bernd&friends with giant scythes now~

Horsemen normally don't use lances, thats just a popular (medieval) sports stereotype. Halberds, maces, morning stars, pretty much any weapon that could be swung indiscriminately and be effective were the primary weapons of cavalry. Swords and sabers for close range combat were the exception but you were pretty much doomed if (friendly) infantry swoop in to save your ass in that state.

You know, i suddenly have an urge now to mod in a black robe and a scythe into M&B Warband and play as a Horsereaper. Maybe mod in some of that chromated armor in a skeleton like fashion like in LotR for the horses too.

Horsemen normally don't use lances, thats just a popular (medieval) sports stereotype. Halberds, maces, morning stars, pretty much any weapon that could be swung indiscriminately and be effective were the primary weapons of cavalry. Swords and sabers for close range combat were the exception but you were pretty much doomed if (friendly) infantry swoop in to save your ass in that state.

Actually lances were used during the napeonlic timeperiod, but as you say not as the primary weapons of cavalry. Google "Uhlans" ;)

Good lord, those lancers are packing heat. Lances that look like bloody halberds. No wonder a square formation couldn't break them.

So great prince how do you like your first taste of battle?  Not so easy is it.

He, and the students, handled it pretty well. A bit dissapointing.

So great prince how do you like your first taste of battle?  Not so easy is it.

Good lord, those lancers are packing heat. Lances that look like bloody halberds. No wonder a square formation couldn't break them.

Those Bassaland soldiers. That's what a hero is.

The future rests on him...whew..that's one hell of a line in that situation.

Vol. 5? Here's hoping for more high quality releases on a regular basis!

ugh cliffhanger it was about to get good

i think balzer made the right call to defend...now seeing the cavalry formation i think he should order to fire on the horses to disrupt the charge and the counterattack immediatly!!!

Helmut wearing a drindl?

...I APPROVE.  :3

is there map legend for vol05 ch21 pg 7?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics