Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.59 - 174votes)

Youkai Apaato no Yuuga na Nichijou

Alt Names: alt 妖怪アパートの幽雅な日常alt 妖怪公寓里优雅的日常生活alt Elegant Yokai Apartment Life (Official English Title)alt Refined Daily Life at the Monster Apartmentalt The Youkai Apartment's Everyday Refinementalt The Youkai Apartment's Refined Everyday Lifealt Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijoualt Youkai Apato no Yuuga na Nichijou
Author: Kouduki Hinowa
Artist: Miyama Waka
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaMystery MysterySlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Inaba Yuushi's parents died in his first year of middle school, and he moved in with his relatives. Though they did care for him, he could tell he was a burden. After he graduated, he happily prepared to move to a high school with a dormitory. Unfortunately, the dormitory burned to the ground before he could move in! Yuushi doesn't want to live with his grudging relatives, but it's rough finding lodging as an orphaned student with little money. He finally finds a room in a nice old building which seems too good to be true.

The catch is that it is a Monster House, a place where humans and supernatural creatures--ghosts, mononoke, etc.-- live together. Another high schooler lives there, a cute girl named Akine, and she's completely unfazed by the monsters. In fact, she can even exorcise evil spirits! Yuushi's high school life just got much stranger than he ever bargained for!
Go to Youkai Apaato no Yuuga na Nichijou Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Anime New Window Wireghost1212
  • 2 Replies
Topic Irresponsible awful things New Window truepurple
  • 4 Replies

192 Comments

If this updated more often... I think we'd all gain weight.

Once a month should be plenty, then. 

Now I want croquettes.

Second to that mmm...

*raids fridge like everyone else after reading* 

If this updated more often... I think we'd all gain weight. Wouldn't stop me from reading, of course.

Now I want croquettes.

Yup, his cousin knows the score about him and his "best friend."

Seriously though, you can tell the author really wants to make this a shounen-ai but is desperately trying to resist.

A ghost laughing at the movie "The Exorcist"... Sometimes, this manga is truly amusing.

Looks like they're on an "Ah!  My Goddess!" kick today?

Nope, only the belldandy was cosplaying AMG. I'm pretty sure Urd was cosplaying Sailor Moon. As for Skuld, the only thing that came to mind for me was the video game character Valkyrie.

The three hobby is cosplay?

Looks like they're on an "Ah!  My Goddess!" kick today?

What rotten luck. First chapter in months and then I find out the next one is indefinitely delayed. Just great.

No, I think the indefinite just became definite--it was delayed until now.

Many thanks to Sense-scans for persevering!

The three hobby is cosplay?

Hey there fans, just to let you know that we at Sense Scans are in dire need of a cleaner and proofreader to help with this series. Volume 5 is indefinitely delayed until we have all the positions filled. Please apply over at our forums, no prior experience needed.

What rotten luck. First chapter in months and then I find out the next one is indefinitely delayed. Just great.

Hey there fans, just to let you know that we at Sense Scans are in dire need of a cleaner and proofreader to help with this series. Volume 5 is indefinitely delayed until we have all the positions filled. Please apply over at our forums, no prior experience needed.

I do feel like there's a general impression that the world at large has let the material overwhelm the spiritual, has lost contact with or stomped all over the sides of our nature represented by the mythic, youkai world.  And that this is a loss, and it leaves an emptiness and a lack of balance, where it's easy for negativity to enter.  Maybe I'm being too influenced by, well, all the other stories where this is a theme, like half the Miyazaki ever and most of the Western fantasy with contemporary settings and so on and so forth.

I think that sense of loss is definitely there to be felt, but often tempered by pragmatism or hesitant optimism (as a specific example, I'd refer to what Ryuu says ch.17 pg.37)

Honestly, I'd say this has a lot more to say about the dissonance of modern life than Miyazaki ever did. Sure, Miyazaki promotes peace and nature, but when he does so it's usually fantastically and theatrically, by showing nature at it's best and humans at their best and worst.

This, on the other hand, seems to be the most critical of society when it is showing people at their most mundane.

Well, I think I see where you're going with this, but I'm not sure I wholly agree. (snip excellent argument)

Certainly you have a point.  And that's become much more explicit with this chapter--definitely a direction they're taking things.

And yet . . . I still have a feeling that the other aspect is there too.  Like, when he'd moved out from the apartment, the world he was moving through had an emptiness to it.  And OK, perhaps it's that he hadn't matured enough to handle it, and perhaps it's because he was apart from his base of support.  But that still indicates that it's a world where, to hold on to your centre, you need serious resources.

I do feel like there's a general impression that the world at large has let the material overwhelm the spiritual, has lost contact with or stomped all over the sides of our nature represented by the mythic, youkai world.  And that this is a loss, and it leaves an emptiness and a lack of balance, where it's easy for negativity to enter.  Maybe I'm being too influenced by, well, all the other stories where this is a theme, like half the Miyazaki ever and most of the Western fantasy with contemporary settings and so on and so forth.

Stumbled upon this manga today. Yet another series to add to my list of manga gems.

Protect your Harem Inaba!

Also

Spoiler

Interesting goings on.  Notice that once again, while there's lots of weirdness at the youkai house, most of the negative stuff, like actually nasty and creepy, happens in the outside world.  At the youkai house, things are peculiar but harmonious and centred.  At college and the mundane world, things may seem normal but it's alienating, out of balance, threatening.

Well, I think I see where you're going with this, but I'm not sure I wholly agree. (Assuming I am correctly understanding what you are implying.)

It's not so much that 'general life' is filled with bad things and 'the supernatural space'/'out of the ordinary space' is filled with harmony. Really, the apartment is a sort of. . . 'segregated space'. One which the occupancy, many of them very skilled, have worked together to cultivate that harmony and a small utopia. The original meaning of the word "Paradise" was actually "a walled garden". That's what the Youkai Apartment is. Let's not forget that the apartment struggles with it's own problems. (Remember the child ghost's mother?) However, the people (= both youkai and humans) there have chosen to continually work towards something better and strive for harmony.

By contrast, the "outside world", as you put it, is a commingling of everyone's feelings and desires, both good and bad. Whereas the walled garden of the apartments is carefully cultivated to keep out pests and toxins in the greater world we have the potential of coming face to face with anything and everything, people's good and people's bad, their blessings and their curses, good fortune and disaster.

The apartments are a 'controlled environment' whereas the greater world is uncontrolled. This series doesn't speak to me so much about the evil in the world, but rather encourages to cultivate harmony and good things wherever we find ourselves. Whether it be in our our homes and paradises, our "walled gardens", where surprises come but we still often bear a modicum of control; or in the world as a whole where we can choose to influence our surroundings and the people we come in contact with for the better or worse, but around every corner are things we could never expect, some good and some bad.

We need to see more of those gyaru goddesses!!

Lovin' every page. So happy to read this through again.

I see your ploy author. Suddenly adding a bunch of girls to detract from the ever growing bromance/borderline shounen ai.  I see it, and I don't believe your teasing.

Spoiler

"...... Goddess ......" LOL!

Interesting goings on.  Notice that once again, while there's lots of weirdness at the youkai house, most of the negative stuff, like actually nasty and creepy, happens in the outside world.  At the youkai house, things are peculiar but harmonious and centred.  At college and the mundane world, things may seem normal but it's alienating, out of balance, threatening.

sometime my mind and memory got mixed between this manga's story line with the Acony's story line. so, whenever there is new chapter get scanlated I need to reread some previous chapter to correct my memory with the right story line.

Damn you!!

*opens cheap bag of potato chips*

*cries while eating*

PS: Can't fault Hase for basically smooching off Yuushi and staying on the apartment. I would have done the same. *empties bag*

I just found this again yesterday and caught up. Next day it updates after months. Thanks guys.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics