Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 67votes)

Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai

Alt Names: alt 君の膵臓をたべたいalt I Want To Eat Your Pancreasalt Kimi no Suizou o Tabetai
Author: Sumino Yoru
Artist: Kirihara Idumi
Genres: Drama DramaSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Based on an award winning light novel:

One day, I – a high schooler – found a paperback in the hospital. The “Disease Coexistence Journal” was its title. It was a diary that my classmate, Sakura Yamauchi, had written in secret. Inside, it was written that due to her pancreatic disease, her days were numbered. And thus, I coincidentally went from Just-a-Classmate to a Secret-Knowing-Classmate. It was as if I were being drawn to her, who was my polar opposite. However, the world presented the girl that was already suffering from an illness with an equally cruel reality…

List of Awards (Light Novel):

“Bestsellers 2016 (Overall) by NIPPAN” – 4th Place

“Bestsellers 2016 (Paperback Fiction) by NIPPAN” – 1st Place

“Bestsellers 2016 (Overall) by TOHAN” – 5th Place

“Bestsellers 2016 (Literary Books) by TOHAN” – 1st Place

“Bookstore Grand Prix 2016” – 2nd Place

“DA VINCI BOOK OF THE YEAR 2015” – 2nd Place

“Bestsellers 2015 (Literary Books) by TOHAN” – 6th Place

As of May 2017, this book has sold over 1.2 million copies.
Go to Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

63 Comments

Is there a translation of the novel itself? This is really interesting.

Yes there is; I downloaded from http://shou7.tumblr.com/post/160933095035/translation-i-want-to-eat-your-pancreas-by-yoru

Both the pdf and epub are working (I got the epub and am reading from phone).

In a way the girl is pretty cruel, the MC will surely start to feel something for her after all the time they spend together

I think feeling something is a good thing for him. Otherwise he'd just lead an apathetic life in a grey world without ever really connecting with someone. I think she hopes that he'll "interact with people more" once she's passed away.

Is there a translation of the novel itself? This is really interesting.

True, good writing CAN make something work but don't you think a good writer can make a perfectly better use of a sudden turn of events better? Like let's say I'm a writer and I want the readers to get some feels.

[...]

I suppose the meat of what I wanted to say is that there's other things a writer might want to do, beyond maximizing feels over 9000 (if you'll pardon the ageing meme). And that different authors may go about doing things different ways, which on the whole is a boon to us as readers.

Spoiler

Well, really what I should be doing at this point is linking to TV Tropes' Tropes are Tools page which gets at quite a lot of what I'm really trying to say, except written by much more eloquent people and for the general case.

In a way the girl is pretty cruel, the MC will surely start to feel something for her after all the time they spend together

This manga title. O_o I guess it could be worse...

This is so good.. but its gonna end so bad...
..but it will still be so good...
...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Used properly, opening with a downer ending can do a lot of things. It's true that it tempers the shock of the tragedy, but in the right hands it can lend a melancholy tone to the storytelling, or provide a different sort of suspense as events unfold, that sort of thing.

Or, for instance, if you visit the core of a tragedy twice, once at the beginning and once at the end, the second time can be part of catharsis (which would be quite difficult otherwise).

Spoiler

...Mind, I think you're all crazy for wanting really intense tragedies. Just like I never understand people who like spicy food for the fact that it's spicy, really. But I digress.

True, good writing CAN make something work but don't you think a good writer can make a perfectly better use of a sudden turn of events better? Like let's say I'm a writer and I want the readers to get some feels.

If I say at the start "oh btw X-character dies and Y-character obviously has a crush on X", that's like the entire premise already. All that we'll be doing is just waiting for it to happen and in that case, some people will not want to get emotionally attached to the characters or will just get unconsciously detach their interests from them. If the writing is superb, you can put some really good inserts in the middle BUT as the story reaches its conclusion, the readers will eventually be reminded of the ending before it actually happens. It's like a spoiler.

On the other hand, if I start things off as a happy standard story (although it might look stereotypically boring) you preserve the advantage of "surprising your reader". I wanna make an example of an anime that I really feel like is the saddest I've watched.

In Tokyo Magnitude 8.0:

Spoiler

Also if anyone tries to say "it's because you haven't actually read it" I actually did read the 1st chapter and it's hitting the same notes as shigatsu.

Used properly, opening with a downer ending can do a lot of things. It's true that it tempers the shock of the tragedy, but in the right hands it can lend a melancholy tone to the storytelling, or provide a different sort of suspense as events unfold, that sort of thing.

Or, for instance, if you visit the core of a tragedy twice, once at the beginning and once at the end, the second time can be part of catharsis (which would be quite difficult otherwise).

Spoiler

...Mind, I think you're all crazy for wanting really intense tragedies. Just like I never understand people who like spicy food for the fact that it's spicy, really. But I digress.

The most insanely depressing twist ending had to be The Mist (movie). Not so much as a sucker punch as it feels like your soul was torn out. It takes a real talent to make a bleak Stephen King story even bleaker (so much so that he wished he wrote it that way to begin with). And this was the director of The Shawshank Redemtption and the Green Mile. 

Honestly, I don't see the merit in making the tearjerker start at the end. It just cuts down on the emotional downpour after your hopes are heightened and crushed.

Spoiler

A movie of this has been confirmed for next year

and why another chapter 1?

I can always do asecondary translation from U.S. english to Austrlaian english then we'd have three

yeah a lot of complain. so much award winner that even LA of this has already on japan theatre, and later next year a movie anime adaptation.

i guess for many readers here, they have this theories that can't be argued, and if the story they read didn't match with their theories, they'll say the story is bad, fail, etc.

yeah... theory comes first.

The thing is, people that are trashtalking/complaining about this title here did not even read it.

There is nothing wrong with not liking or having issues with something you have read. That much would be perfectly fine.
What's not fine is that some people here are trying to present their opinions as facts. And what's more, they are basing those opinions on nothing more than a summary and their own assumptions. I don't think there's any reason to pay attention to their drivel.

yeah a lot of complain. so much award winner that even LA of this has already on japan theatre, and later next year a movie anime adaptation.

i guess for many readers here, they have this theories that can't be argued, and if the story they read didn't match with their theories, they'll say the story is bad, fail, etc.

yeah... theory comes first.

A movie of this has been confirmed for next year

and why another chapter 1? 

open-ended at first 3 pages already. well, actually who read this manga knew the plot already

I used to love this kind of stories after a lot happened I dropped all of them. After quite some time I thought "maybe now is okay" but after the second page I need to take a pause. Tragedy becomes way harder after experiencing something even if it is "not as bad" as this

Same formula as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. As readers, we already know the fate of the heroine. Both the MC and heroine are bound by something other people cannot easily comprehend. All we are doing is watching the ride.

Honestly, I don't see the merit in making the tearjerker start at the end. It just cuts down on the emotional downpour after your hopes are heightened and crushed.

By making the train-wreck known at the beginning, it can be seen as a ploy to garner attention that might not be warrented otherwise. Why not make the story stand on its own strengths, instead of the "poor pitiful me, in advance" ploy?

Also If we know of the wreck from the beginning we're less likely to get strongly emotinally invested in the MC. If you see the blow coming you tend to brace for it and it's less shocking when it hits than if it came out of the clear blue.

If you know that emotinal roller-coaster is going to derail, you're less likely to get on and ride.

I fucking hate that we live in an age where acknowledging the very concept of mortality in a work of fiction is considered "edgy".

How to properly do a "tragedy" in a work of fiction:

- Estabilish the character(s)
- Make the audience care about and empathize with the character(s), this is usually done by making them likeable or sympathetic in some way
- Have something bad happen to the character(s), this will cause drama because the audience likes them

How "tragedy" tag works in manga:

- Look at this pretty girl
- Whoops, kidney failure

Yeah, no.

Same formula as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. As readers, we already know the fate of the heroine. Both the MC and heroine are bound by something other people cannot easily comprehend. All we are doing is watching the ride.

Wow, I don't want to eat this piece of shit.

From reading the title, to reading the description; I've already been on an emotional roller coaster and I haven't even read the story yet.

Seems gonna be the great tearjerker story.
Though I already knew her end, It's like I'm curious to take deeper inside her infirmity novel.

That's why I'd love to follow this.

qhy2cZb.png

3'rd & 5'th panel and half of 4th panel

Time to prepare for the shitstorm of tears to come

I fucking hate that we live in an age where acknowledging the very concept of mortality in a work of fiction is considered "edgy".

It's not that it's approaching mortality. It's the fact that it does it in such a low effort way and gets praised for it. There are so many other series that deal with the idea of accepting the inevitability of death, how it affects others, and bringing the relation to it in a new and different way. Yet somehow, this series, with a simple journal, text, and legitimately creepy main character gets tagged 'award winning'. It's so fucking stupid that I have to laugh at the absurdity of it. I hate this tag because of the sheer uselessness of it, and all it implies. As if seinen, drama, and tragedy aren't enough, there's a fourth complicating 'award winning' which simply says "some fuckwit have me a prize for writing my feelings". Its a consolation prize.

I compared it to the publisher Key for good reason. They both deal with basically the same premise in all of their works. The difference is that Key puts more human elements in their characters to make them relatable. This guy is literally a sociopathic Highlander. This story is the equivalent to me writing a story about me grieving about my dog dying, and getting over that grief by using it's ashes as chocolate milk mix to cement the memories I had of it inside of me forever.

Oh, and fuck that description. That second half is absolutely fucking tragic. It's meant to be a description, not a fucking circlejerk sales pitch.

Oh, oh, and another thing. Just because the source material of a light novel is award winning doesn't make this manga award winning. All adaptions lose things, and the changeover from words to pictures is a massive loss of information, particularly when it comes to thoughts. I will be willing to bet 75% or more of the important 'poetic' language used to describe the events the character has experienced in the novel will be chopped in this adaption, and subsequently lost, not to mention in translation. Just because the source is good doors not make an adaptation good. Once again, fuck this tag to the deepest parts of the judges anuses.

This guy gets it.Needs a tragedgy tag.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics