Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 351votes)

Beastars

Alt Names: alt ビースターズ
Author: Itagaki Paru
Artist: Itagaki Paru
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In a world populated by anthropomorphic animals, herbivores and carnivores coexist with each other. For the adolescences of the Cherryton School, school life is filled with hope, romance, distrust, and uneasiness.

The main character is Legosi the wolf, a member of the drama club. Despite his menacing appearance, he has a very gentle heart. Throughout most of his life, he has always been an object of fear and hatred by other animals, and he's been quite accustomed to that lifestyle. But soon, he finds himself becoming more involved with his fellow classmates who have their own share of insecurities and finds his life in school changing slowly.
Go to Beastars Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic alright, so....the murder. who done it? New Window Cautionary_Tale
  • 9 Replies
Topic Beastars Chapter discussions New Window truepurple
  • 11 Replies
Topic Thus, I reviewed Beastars New Window Swifft
  • 3 Replies
Topic So, I need help understanding what the title of Beastar really means New Window angelusalvus
  • 4 Replies
Topic Herbivores, carnivores, the other meanings. appetites, and how it plays out. New Window truepurple
  • 7 Replies
Topic Real nature doesn't work like this. New Window truepurple
  • 7 Replies

783 Comments

Orochimaru has appeared!

This chapter freaked me out. Shouldn't read it before bedtime lol.

How exactly does anyone think this is a good idea? In the first place, why do they think the perpetrator is gonna be caught by a student and not by, dunno, the police or so?

By the way, if you go back to chapter 1, we have seen the perpetrator's silhouette and mouth. He was almost double the size of the alpaca, and definitely a canine.

Spoiler

It's that eagle guy. He acted all innocent to avoid suspicion

Well, what a great decision. Nobody gonna die from good old witch hunt. Brilliant pedagogics.

It's that fennec guy. I allways felt suspicious about him. He's out of suspicions, perfect cover. Now we can see, that this guy have an extremely high heels, so he can look straight into the woolfs eyes. Only hidden maniac would wear something like this.

Spoiler

Well, what a great decision. Nobody gonna die from good old witch hunt. Brilliant pedagogics.

Now that's a big hint, whoever it is, he's one of the k9 possies with wolf,

It's that fennec guy. I allways felt suspicious about him. He's out of suspicions, perfect cover. Now we can see, that this guy have an extremely high heels, so he can look straight into the woolfs eyes. Only hidden maniac would wear something like this.

THE AUTHOR BROUGHT IT BACK! I don't know hat to feel... Like... it was in the back burner for so long. 

I am glad it is wasn't just put to a side and forgotten forever, this had to happen, now it better not be Jack.

I gave them all a go, and I can't say what possessed you to recommend any of them in juxtaposition to Beastars. Dungeon is mostly comical with no tension to boot, Grand Blue is purely ecchi with endless childish tsukkomi, and Kamui does indeed seem to be fairly mature with its narrative, but the direction of the story is way off.
On the same premise of recommending anything that seems "Mature", I can recommend Helck, which takes the "Hero vs Demon lord" cliche way off the scale.

I will be flipping through Kamui, though. So cheers for that.

"Drugs" would be the easy answer, me having coming out of a surgery the other day and needing to take something for pain management post-operation, but you make a good case for there being very little in common with any of the three manga I threw your way and Beastars; apologies for that. That said, I'm glad Golden Kamuy caught your attention and somewhat made the trouble worth your time. Helck is something I also happen to follow and enjoy, so at least there's that in common.  :P

In any case, I still stand by my belief that Beastarts is still such a unique entity it's difficult to aptly compare it to anything else. Hell, some friends I've shown it to want to call it "Zootopia: The Manga", and even there I hesitate to agree since how the two approach their concepts are a bit different on a fundamental level, but anywho...

More manga reccos/rambling below:

Spoiler

Oh right, before I forget, I think the whole Seinen vs. Shonen thing has always had something to do with which magazine company has the publishing rights over the series. Of course they always have their target demographics in mind, but every now and then we get a lovely gem like this to slip in and surprise us.

I gave them all a go, and I can't say what possessed you to recommend any of them in juxtaposition to Beastars. Dungeon is mostly comical with no tension to boot, Grand Blue is purely ecchi with endless childish tsukkomi, and Kamui does indeed seem to be fairly mature with its narrative, but the direction of the story is way off.
On the same premise of recommending anything that seems "Mature", I can recommend Helck, which takes the "Hero vs Demon lord" cliche way off the scale.

Perhaps the person before felt they were similar, it's their preference if that's the case that hasn't quite clicked with yours. Here are mine if you want them, for clarity I've put them in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
You may like these, you may not, chances are you've also read at least one or heard of others. I think the great thing is a lot of these chill seinen style stories differ so greatly to each other, when they're well executed it feels like nothing else quite like them exists.

Or maybe that's just me I don't know. I hope you find something you like out of the list, I don't know that I've explained them super well but if I went in more detail it tends to have the opposite effect.... Good luck finding more good reads. C:

I always thought Louis was the murder, but it seems I'm wrong... maybe it's the labrador boy?

Spoiler

damn! I was smiling and he was looking right at me!

could it be that Tiger guy though?

Tiger dude is way too obvious, he didnt seem to even have self control to stop in the black market.

damn! I was smiling and he was looking right at me!

could it be that Tiger guy though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYNmGMsU18

Just wanted to remind everyone that horses too eat meat when the occasion presents itself.

However it would be weird if the horse did it, back in chapter 1 the killer's shadow suggested an animal with large canines that looked quite like a wolf.

The character is eye level with Legosi, so it can't be Jack. Also the silhouette doesn't match at all. It's likely a new character, and probably a wolf.

The character looks a bit shorter to me and more eye-level with the gazelle guy to the left. Jack and Durham are both the same height and they both had the same sitting height as the gazelles when they had chess in the common area. Legosi's sitting height was much higher than the 4. But even so, I think it's a new character too IIRC, in the chicken-egg-sandwhich chapter classes organize seats alphabetically so I wonder if it's nearby (who are grouped together for group projects eg. Seat 1-5 are a group. Seat 6-10 are a group) and this character is a canine-like animal such as a fox which explains the height difference but still matches the silhouette and why Legosi is friendly/was looking for them.

Now that's a big hint, whoever it is, he's one of the k9 possies with wolf,

Nominate the student who finds the killer as the Beastar? Why are you expecting/encouraging STUDENTS to investigate a murder?!

That's so dangerous, and the students are not all qualified for that... At best they'll just contaminate the evidence or collect it in a way that can't be used in court and at worst they'll intentionally/unintentionally frame an innocent person...

THE AUTHOR BROUGHT IT BACK! I don't know hat to feel... Like... it was in the back burner for so long. 

The killer is a horse??? lol

OH SHIT SON

THIS MANGA HAS ONE SPEED

BALLS DEEP INTO THE DRAMA

Regarding the vegan cat food discussion from earlier:

Spoiler

As for Beastars... I'd be surprised if this was someone we met before. I don't remember any characters with a similar silhouette, just Legosi himself.

Jesus they sure are dropping bombs these last few chapters.
Spoiler

Thanks for the release c:

Well now, didn't think they'd actually address the murder again, but at the same time I maintain what I've said that this was never a mystery and that the character who did it doesn't matter (hell, it looks like they'll be revealed next chapter with no investigation). Instead, the murder was reintroduced as a political thing, which ties into my theory that it was only ever shown in the first place to emphasize "this is the way the world is".

Anyways, I feel real bad for that headmaster. Seems like he's the only one who still believes in the "Beastar" title as an ideal, not a mandate that you check off of a list at the end of the year.

My bet is on Jack.

The character is eye level with Legosi, so it can't be Jack. Also the silhouette doesn't match at all. It's likely a new character, and probably a wolf.

Jesus christ, I didn't have a lucky click over a random manga like this for a very long time now.
Here I thought this would just be a silly manga to burn an hour or so over and I'll be done with it, and then down the rabbit hole it went. In Legosi's case, almost literally.
What a bloody ride. Gonna leave this alone for a few months to let it accumulate a few more chapters to binge on.

EDIT: This is a long shot, but if anyone has a similar manga in mind, please drop the title by me. I'd be glad to read more of stuff like this.
(I.E: Semi-adult manga which are not too painfully edgy. Bonus points if the concept of sex is used more on the realistic side, rather than a source for immature teasing.)

EDIT EDIT: Fukken hell how is this "Shonen". I'm starting to feel like the Seinen / Shonen boundary is non-existent.

First off, welcome to the wild, wild ride of Beastars! There's nothing quite like it. Give the "prequel" manga you can find under the mangaka's name here a read too when you have the time; it takes place essentially in the same universe and has the same tone.

As for similar manga...hm...that's a tough one, especially for the school life setting Beastars generally goes for. If you want something that's definitely more "adult" in the good sense, with plenty of action and a strong, memorable cast, maybe try Golden Kamuy; however, be warned that Batoto got hit with a DMCA strike for it recently. The good news is that the group scanlating it, EverydayHeroes Scans, still has all their work for it on their website available for downloading, and still uploads the latest chapters on Batoto when it becomes available.

For something more laid-back in both pacing and mood but still engaging, try Dungeon Meshi, also scanlated by EverydayHeroes. It's got a lot of cooking and interaction between characters on a smaller scale while simultaneously maintaining a decent amount of world-building and a surprisingly attention to detail and intricacies in how everything works together, again, much like Beastars.

And lastly, for all your "lovable scumbags like Louis in a Slice of Life setting" needs, read Grand Blue. That "lovable scumbags" part may be the only thing the two manga have in common, but hey - there's still plenty more to like about it.

My bet is on Jack.

Author did not show us a chapter of Jack and Legosi for nothing. Probably that chapter was set up in order to hint that Jack was jealous of Legosi's "wolf nature". What else to set up the conflict between the protagonist and the main antagonist other than make them best friends? The most unsuspecting one is the must suspicious one. He also have that angst or should I call it inner conflict about how he is an artificial. Other than Legosi, he probably wanted to blow up at the other animals (when he was young). Lots of repressed and potential potent up anger fuels well a future murderer.

It cannot be Bill as the first time he ate meat was after Tem's murder.

Same reason for Louis.

It is someone close to Legosi: either someone who goes to the canine territory rooms or someone from the drama club. Bill's gang of friend isn't that particularly close to Legosi except Aoba. Though Aoba may be an another suspect though less likely since he refused to eat meat before, though that may be as well as an act. Legosi also hung out with Weasel (not that close), the animal that eats ants, and Haru. Less likely suspects.

Since the murderer was still not found probably means that their size isn't that big or they look inoffensive enough.

Every character has a role in this story, Aoba was there to give Legosi hope in this cold world. While Jack...? Other than his back story and best friend position we don't know what role he's going to play. Bill represents the carnivore who gave in to his instincts, and regularly antagonises our protagonist.

Also, Jack is SMART, the top of the whole year or something. Being smart makes them know how to avoid being caught. And killers tend to be naturally charming and smart individual (although I don't think that he's a psychopath but more likely did it due to pent up anger).

Tem was Legosi's friend. Jealousy? Maybe Legosi spent more time with this new friend and Jack went full crazy!

Also, at the end of this chapter 53 Legosi talks about how the culprit will be fine without their "supplementary lessons"? Who else but our elite Jack goes to supplementary lessons lol.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics