Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 195votes)

Bartender

Alt Names: alt バーテンダー
Author: Joh Araki
Artist: Nagatomo Kenji
Genres: Drama DramaPsychological PsychologicalSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story of the Sasakura Ryu and Eden Hall, a small cocktail bar in the Chiba area of Tokyo, where troubled customers come for the "glass of the gods," which with Ryu's assistance helps them to resolve their often highly emotional problems.

The above is the synopsis of the anime. In the manga, Ryu starts out working in a bar called Lapin.
Go to Bartender Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Bartender: Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Sebastian De Los Angeles
  • 7 Replies
Topic spice up thing a little New Window [email protected]
  • 1 Replies

480 Comments

And that was the end of the volume. Does this mean that there are more than 18? I'll cry big ugly tears when I read the end of Bartender, if this wasn't it.

3 more volumes to go, according to mangaupdates

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4904

And that was the end of the volume. Does this mean that there are more than 18? I'll cry big ugly tears when I read the end of Bartender, if this wasn't it.

Pfft, Azurite Blue has nothing in face of Seashell Tyrian;p

Bourbon and whisky/ whiskey (whichever way you prefer to spell it) are two different things. To keep things simple, bourbon is whiskey that has been aged in a wooden cask for a minimum of at least two years if I remember correctly, although a lot of producers age their drinks differently. That's why bourbon is always brownish in color; it's from the barrels.

Bourbon also ages in new casks.

Whisky ages either in used bourbon casks or used sherry casks.

Actually they are both correct. Whiskey are made in ireland wile whisky are made in scotland. Also the best way to know its from america its when they call it a bourbon

Bourbon and whisky/ whiskey (whichever way you prefer to spell it) are two different things. To keep things simple, bourbon is whiskey that has been aged in a wooden cask for a minimum of at least two years if I remember correctly, although a lot of producers age their drinks differently. That's why bourbon is always brownish in color; it's from the barrels.

Thanks for another great chapter, CityShrimp! ^_^

BTW, Nightow Scans posted a Spanish scanlation, but it's marked as English. Anyone know what to do?

Click the "Report Problems with Chapter/Comic" button at the top of the chapter list, and post a message in the QA forum.  I just did that.

BTW, Nightow Scans posted a Spanish scanlation, but it's marked as English. Anyone know what to do?

I never thought I'd get so sad about a bar counter... ;A;

(added after reading the whole chapter) And this is why I've been so loyal to Bartender for all these years :')

Spoiler

I might have come across a clue to The Great Ice Debate here.  My office recently got a new ice maker that produces really solid ...um...cylinders?...of ice; that is, there's no cloudiness from air bubbles.  Thing is, this ice doesn't break.  Even if you drop it in boiling water, it won't crack or make creaking noises or release bubbles like the cubes from my fridge do.  I could see how a high class bar might consider "noisy" ice to be intrusive or to detract from the experience of the drink.  (I'm not touching the "Cube vs Sphere" discussion, though.)

Poor old man Maki. The end of the chapter hit me right in the feels.

DAMMIT!

Japanese cocktail bars like this exist- they are popular enough that the concept of high class speakeasies/quiet single bar set up, no standing room, etc are in major metropolitan areas all over the world now- NYC, Shanghai/Beijing, and of course Japan. This manga is a bit extreme/fictional in some of its stylistic descriptions and the depths this bartender plumbs to find meaning where there frankly is none, but that's a combo of japanese aesthetic and artistic license. In any case, u can look online for places easily that can point you to "secret" bars and the like, some very low key, others not so much, but these types of bars certainly do exist. Enjoy =)

Thanks for your answer! 

This manga is really interesting and make me really interested in the world of cocktails, liquors and bartending in general. I've never been to a bar before and most of my experience with cocktails is either something I make myself or alcohol drinks ordered from a local cafe.

I just wonder if bars like the ones depicted in this manga is actually common in real life. My impression of bars is that they are the places for people to meet the opposite sex and flirt around or to party. Bartenders care more about entertaining customers, flipping bottles around and focus way less on making good drinks. They may get upset if you don't tip or tip the wrong way. And there is always loud music.

I may be wrong about this or probably just mix bar and club up. Most people I know refer to bars as the places like I describe above though. I would be glad if I'm wrong though. I would definitely enjoy bars if they are more like this manga, they just feel so relaxing and nice.

Japanese cocktail bars like this exist- they are popular enough that the concept of high class speakeasies/quiet single bar set up, no standing room, etc are in major metropolitan areas all over the world now- NYC, Shanghai/Beijing, and of course Japan. This manga is a bit extreme/fictional in some of its stylistic descriptions and the depths this bartender plumbs to find meaning where there frankly is none, but that's a combo of japanese aesthetic and artistic license. In any case, u can look online for places easily that can point you to "secret" bars and the like, some very low key, others not so much, but these types of bars certainly do exist. Enjoy =)

Ah, alcoholic milk tea.  I'll have to try making that some time.  

This manga is really interesting and make me really interested in the world of cocktails, liquors and bartending in general. I've never been to a bar before and most of my experience with cocktails is either something I make myself or alcohol drinks ordered from a local cafe.

I just wonder if bars like the ones depicted in this manga is actually common in real life. My impression of bars is that they are the places for people to meet the opposite sex and flirt around or to party. Bartenders care more about entertaining customers, flipping bottles around and focus way less on making good drinks. They may get upset if you don't tip or tip the wrong way. And there is always loud music.

I may be wrong about this or probably just mix bar and club up. Most people I know refer to bars as the places like I describe above though. I would be glad if I'm wrong though. I would definitely enjoy bars if they are more like this manga, they just feel so relaxing and nice.

No, but at that point, it's just faster to chisel out a block than to produces ice of that shape.

My hometown's water is very soft to start with--what comes out of the tap is from mountain rainwater.  Elsewhere I suppose you could distill the water.  Then all you need is ice cube trays that are more like those things for making takoyaki, so what comes out is round.  The ice'll still be cloudy, but only from air bubbles.  How is that slower than chiseling out spheres with a little pick one by one?

I'm not a big gin fan, but the Emerald Cooler sounds interesting. Thanks, CityShrimp!

OK . . . to a point anyway. So, sure, obviously the degree of melting is going to be proportional to surface area

Spoiler

Overall, I'm still feeling uncertain--like, would all this make enough difference for a blindfolded person to be able to tell the difference between a drink with ice cubes and a drink with chiseled spheres? Would they still be able to tell the difference if the ice "cubes" were made from quite soft water and actually frozen in a spherical shape, so the only difference was the cloudiness from the tiny bubbles?

Well, judging from what he said about impurites in ice causing cloudiness, wouldn't ice that is free of said impurities be less likely to alter the flavor of the drink?
He must've been waiting his entire career for that comeback LMFAO

Would they still be able to tell the difference if the ice "cubes" were made from quite soft water and actually frozen in a spherical shape, so the only difference was the cloudiness from the tiny bubbles?

No, but at that point, it's just faster to chisel out a block than to produces ice of that shape.

1. You can't produce as much ice from ice cube trays as you can from producing large blocks and chiseling it.

2. Making ice from a tray will not result in perfectly clear ice unless you go through a bunch of ridiculous steps that you completely avoid by chiseling off the cloudy part of the ice in a large block. 

The reason that ice from a tray will be cloudy is because as ice freezes, the air and impurities in the water are pushed away from the freezing.  In an ice cube tray, the cooling is approximately equal from all sides, so the center of the cube will be cloudy.  The way most ice for bars is made now is using ice machines that use directional cooling to push the impurities into one side of the ice block, which is then chiseled away.

3. Shape of ice does matter.  The ideal shape for ice is a sphere, because the less surface area of the ice is exposed to the drink, the slower it will melt (oversimplifying massively, cause I'm not a physicist, but there is plenty of support for this).  Smaller ice breaks up and melts faster than larger ice, which is why you will never use crushed ice for shaking or stirring a drink, it would dilute it much too fast.

Hope this helps!  It's certainly not comprehensive or crazy in depth, but it will do.

Ice matters more than a lot of people think.  

OK . . . to a point anyway.  So, sure, obviously the degree of melting is going to be proportional to surface area

Spoiler

Overall, I'm still feeling uncertain--like, would all this make enough difference for a blindfolded person to be able to tell the difference between a drink with ice cubes and a drink with chiseled spheres?  Would they still be able to tell the difference if the ice "cubes" were made from quite soft water and actually frozen in a spherical shape, so the only difference was the cloudiness from the tiny bubbles?

Thanks again for the chapter, CityShrimp!

So this whole mystique about the ice . . . does anyone really use anything but ice cubes from ice cube trays?  And if they do, does it make any difference or is it just impressive BS?  

Because I'm finding it hard to imagine a physics-based explanation for why a piece of frozen water is going to have a different impact on the flavour of a drink based on its shape (well, unless it's a fractal or something) or on having been chiseled into that shape instead of just being in the shape that it froze in.

The reason ice matters is because of dilution.  Bad ice will water down a drink faster than good ice, so you have to drink it faster to keep the taste the same.  Good ice will keep the drink cold for a long time without diluting the drink much.  Of course, dilution can change the taste of a drink heavily.

Alright, so here are the basics of not wanting to use the ice from ice cube trays in a bar (they're fine at home if you don't care that much).

1. You can't produce as much ice from ice cube trays as you can from producing large blocks and chiseling it.

2. Making ice from a tray will not result in perfectly clear ice unless you go through a bunch of ridiculous steps that you completely avoid by chiseling off the cloudy part of the ice in a large block. 

The reason that ice from a tray will be cloudy is because as ice freezes, the air and impurities in the water are pushed away from the freezing.  In an ice cube tray, the cooling is approximately equal from all sides, so the center of the cube will be cloudy.  The way most ice for bars is made now is using ice machines that use directional cooling to push the impurities into one side of the ice block, which is then chiseled away.

3. Shape of ice does matter.  The ideal shape for ice is a sphere, because the less surface area of the ice is exposed to the drink, the slower it will melt (oversimplifying massively, cause I'm not a physicist, but there is plenty of support for this).  Smaller ice breaks up and melts faster than larger ice, which is why you will never use crushed ice for shaking or stirring a drink, it would dilute it much too fast.

Hope this helps!  It's certainly not comprehensive or crazy in depth, but it will do.

Ice matters more than a lot of people think.  

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics