Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.17 - 446votes)

Kenja no Mago

Alt Names: alt 賢者の孫alt 贤者之孙alt 현자의 손자alt Magi's grandson
Author: Yoshioka Tsuyoshi
Artist: Shunsuke Ogata
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaEcchi EcchiFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Thanks to various magic, the human race has been saved from calamity many, many times. Retaining his memories from his previous life, a boy, Shin, was picked up by an old man known to the world as the "Magi."

Shin was brought up by the Magi, who had retired to a secular place, as his own grandson. With the memories of his past life, he absorbed the Magi's craft and grew to be able to develop his own magic.

Then, the grandfather told him he has to become independent when he reaches the age of 15.

"Ah, I forgot to teach him common sense."

The grandson who has grown beyond the level of normal people, lacked common sense; the common sense of the world. So to learn how to socialize, he goes to Earlshide Kingdom City to be admitted to Earlshide Advanced Magic Academy.

RAWS: https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000015/
Go to Kenja no Mago Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Manga Raws New Window YukitoOnline
  • 0 Replies
Topic Web Novel translation New Window Starbuck
  • 3 Replies

782 Comments

Probably the most compelling thing about this series at this point is how generic the author can make it still.

C18 Yea, that is a lot of hurt. Now the lesson here is to think clearly about the actions of others and your own reaction. Hindsight is always 20/20 but people go around blind to much around them every day.

Oh my... Please, I need all the nobles dead.

They already are all dead. Didn't you read the previous chapters? This was a flashback.

Now, they are going to attack the MC and his country probably. Because of reasons.

Oh my... Please, I need all the nobles dead.

women dies still pregnant

suddenly there is a picture of her holding a baby

wtf

A picture symbolizing his bright future burning. He has long hair in that too.

This is just a setup for when the MC faces him, making him realize his actions and how similar it was to what was done to him or something along that line. It's also possible that he'll become some sort of ally as some greater threat emerges. It's just one of those backstories that not all villains were born evil.

Strom should have known one of the most important maxims about life:

no-good-deed.gif

wtf

Imagination

wtf

It seems good so far just hope he doesn't go full scar(FMA) and started mass murdering those unrelated, which is least likely so far. I doubt the devils by his side would stay their hands though.

seriously they have been living there for years under his rule, been treated better by him than any other lord and these 2 random fuckers come out wearing soldier uniforms and you instantly believe them? you believe them so far that you go and kill the lords pregnant wife? at least take her hostage you fuck nuggets.

even after all this his motive still doesn't make sense. why did he waste so much time in the kingdom?

why didn't he just crush the empire earlier with his OP powers? 

why did he make the civilians demons if he hates everyone in the empire?
if he didn't hate them then why is he just discarding his demon army? if he does hate them then why doesn't he kill them?

feels like the author just wants to make a relatable villain but is failing.

Look up Marie Antoinette. It might seem like an apples to oranges situation but the accusations and the whole trial against her despite the evidence is fairly close to how crowd mentality can blind logic. (add to that in 2 months they put in work to mentally unstable the populace with the dissonances)

-It's been a bit since I read the earlier chapters but didn't he want the kingdom to crush them and go about it in a much subtler manner since devils taking over a country tends to make all the neighbors reeaaaally antsy.

-I am guessing even devils have a limit and just going in at the time might have been the wrong move because "devil"

-Poetic justice they used his citizenry to screw him over so he used theirs to ruin them.

-Technically he didn't do them any favors by turning them into demons. And I honestly like him because he only had the one goal. After accomplishing it he's just kinda like "now what" which is pretty believable.

But I might just be talking out of my ass so meh.

....Not....good. The flashback was amazing. Engaging, heart breaking, very effective. The problem is...its SO much more effective than ANYTHING we've seen till this point. The protagonists, in comparison, are empty, vapid, and one dimensional. After this chapter....I WANT the demons to win. Unless this chapter was meant to change protagonists, they've done the rest of their characters a disservice. 

I think that's kind of the point. We only were shown that he was "evil" but this chapter shows that there is a bigger layer of nuance to the "devil" threat as it really now seems going "devil" is removing the limiter on ones magic. Seemingly only those who are sufficiently skilled, powerful, or maybe even with enough willpower are able to prevent a sort of power intoxication.

the problem with these "villain turns out to have been a super nice guy but something terrible happened so not hes evil" plots is that they are usually rushed as fuck and this is no exception.

seriously they have been living there for years under his rule, been treated better by him than any other lord and these 2 random fuckers come out wearing soldier uniforms and you instantly believe them? you believe them so far that you go and kill the lords pregnant wife? at least take her hostage you fuck nuggets.

even after all this his motive still doesn't make sense. why did he waste so much time in the kingdom?

why didn't he just crush the empire earlier with his OP powers? 

why did he make the civilians demons if he hates everyone in the empire?
if he didn't hate them then why is he just discarding his demon army? if he does hate them then why doesn't he kill them?

feels like the author just wants to make a relatable villain but is failing.

....Not....good. The flashback was amazing. Engaging, heart breaking, very effective. The problem is...its SO much more effective than ANYTHING we've seen till this point. The protagonists, in comparison, are empty, vapid, and one dimensional. After this chapter....I WANT the demons to win. Unless this chapter was meant to change protagonists, they've done the rest of their characters a disservice. 

Hope that Cecily will die

I hope your lover dies! I hope your lover's whole family dies!!! And your own!!!! Why the fuck would you be hoping for her to die? You want Shin to become like Strom or something? Or are you just hoping for another cliche story of how the MC goes through the same tragedy as the antagonist, but because he is SO kind hearted and he used hid MC-ness to overcome his grief? Either way the story would suck and nobody would want to read it.
>Pregnant wife Yup, totally didn't see how that was gonna end.

Not in his past maybe, but he did corrupt and brainwash innocent and unninvolved people afterwards.

yep, he manipulated the commoners to turn them into demons the same way the nobles used the commoners to turn the people against him and kill his wife :/ 

still, it was a pretty good backstory and understandable how he wanted to kill them all

still have this doubt, how come sometimes they have their eyes black and then white again (talking about the sclera, new word learned xD)

On one hand we have a hardworking noble, who only thought about peacefully improving his people's life quality while raising a loving family getting everything stolen from him by the darkness and corruption of the nation he was sworn to serve. Yet with his newfound powers he refuses to drown in madness, carefully thinking what to do from now on.

On the other hand we have a reincarnated brat with all the powers and who's technically also a WMD with no drawbacks because he's also untouchable due to his very privileged lineage. Also has a very requited love life. In short, the kind of person you wish you could kill with your envy.

Can't we change the MC to this Oliver guy?

Not in his past maybe, but he did corrupt and brainwash innocent and unninvolved people afterwards.

He experimented on, and indirectly killed one guy. Then he gave the peasants the power to kill their oppressors. Honestly, the peasants seemed a lot more evil than Strom in this chapter.

That was a really good backstory. I wonder what direction the story will take now. Strom seems content having destroyed the empire, so I assume something is going to happen happen to spark a conflict. I have no idea what would make Strom go on the offensive though, as he has already lost everything, so I assume it must be something that makes Shin & co. go on the offensive. Is this a bad omen for Cecily?

Literally did nothing wrong

And here I was thinking it'd be another chapter of how the mc figured out yet another exploitative way of using magic.

10/10 tragic backstory. I'm glad to see others agree. It's especially potent because he already accomplished his goal that made him turn full on demon mode so now he's basically just asking himself...dafuq do I do with my life?

Literally did nothing wrong

Honestly I think this is a good backstory for Oliver. It's not some stupid "I'll take over the world with this evil power hahahaha" atory, he simply wanted to destroy an empire and he's basically done for now. I mean, obviously he's an antagonist and he'll be back to fight Shin eventually, but he's no longer one dimensional, which makes his scenes much more bearable.

The backstory for Oliver is surprisingly well done. So many stories cut the backstory too short and it doesn't give an impact, but in this case, it was brilliant. Earlier in the manga I just hated Oliver, but not that I know his backstory, he doesn't seem all that bad overall and his previous actions make sense.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics