Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 399votes)

Taishou Otome Otogibanashi

Alt Names: alt 大正処女御伽話alt タイシャウヲトメおとぎばなしalt 타이 샤 오토메 동화/다이쇼시대 소녀 전래동화alt Taishou Wotome Otogibanashialt Сказка о девушке эпохи Тайсё
Author: Kirioka Sana
Artist: Kirioka Sana
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In this story set in the early 1920s, Tamahiko is the son of a wealthy family, but his life is changed forever when an accident cripples his right arm. No longer considered by his father as an heir, he is shuffled off into the country, to live out of sight. The teenage Tamahiko shuts himself in his new home, bitterly thinking of it as the place where he will die. One day, he learns that his father has 'bought' him a bride to take care of him, when the young teen girl named Yuzuki arrives at his door. She comes into his life like an innocent ray of sunshine, and Tamahiko's view of the world and his life starts changing bit-by-bit...
Go to Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic How much is the debt nowadays? New Window Ryoumiya
  • 1 Replies
Topic What is "botchan"? New Window truepurple
  • 8 Replies
Topic And this is just the beginning New Window jrandom42
  • 2 Replies

822 Comments

Question for people more historically knowledgable than I-

Would Tamayo even be allowed to inherit the Shima family money?  It's 1923, so she certainly wouldn't be allowed to run her father's company, would she?

Isn't it more historically accurate for them to find some young man to adopt into the family and make him marry Tamayo?  So he would at least be the face of the company?  Similar to what they did with Yuzu?

All she needs to do is find respectable weak man from good family and pull the string from behind. I've seen this shiet in real life way too much. The man is just a puppet and listen to everything his wife say.
To man out there, choose your wife carefully x'D

Impregnate the oppailoliqt b4 ww2

I mean d'aw!

Tama Tama Tama, everyone's name is Tama, I'm confused now lol

It's actually a common Japanese thing to do. Not quite sure on when it actually started (probably beyond shogunate era) but the names usually shows the birth (and family successor) order of  birth. A commonly used example in current japanese is something like Ichirou (Ichi means one / first) as firstborn son while the little brother would be names Jirou (Ji means two or second)

In this case, Tamahiko usually comes from Tama (Round) + Hiko (Common suffix for boys) but on the other hand, "Hiko" also has different reading as "Ouji" which means "Prince" thus signifying him as the first born son and therefore primary family successor. On the other hand, Tamako comes from Tama (Round) + Ko (common suffix for girls) but the suffix is also usually used to signify that she is the youngest born daughter.

Tama Tama Tama, Tama Tama Chameleon... ♫

video for old folks

Woah...be careful there. Don't go spouting off Tama like that anywhere.

Some people might have a different take on the meaning....

:)

everyone's so focused to the story and here I am more noticing yuzu's chest is beautifully swollen ever since she's wearing the maid uniform instead :| glad she finally rid the bandage.

Japanese Tywin Shima father did nothing wrong. A man forged by poverty and circumstance, doing his absolute best at all times to perpetually insure his families legacy with every action, while still allowing and providing for small bits of kindness and love here and there. Despite his broken heart. Despite the monetary loss. What a hero.

I hope he and Tamayo have a good life together. She's right for him.

If it weren't for that last line I wouldn't have been sure of the sarcasm.

Always refreshing to see credible psychopaths in fiction; defective products of their environment rather than unjustified sadists.

Not that there are no real unjustified sadists in the world.  There are some amazingly selfish, nasty, even malevolent, people in the world, and not all of them ever went through anything particularly bad--heck, a lot of them are children of privilege.  I actually think that realistic characterization often goes too far in "humanizing" villains; desperate to avoid portraying "comic book" bad guys, they end up with "villains" who are less jerky than half the bosses I've had.

I am glad he apologized for doing that horrible emotional blackmail instead of just ignoring the fact it happened.

Bakaple

I ship it

Spoiler

You monster, you traitor, betrayer!!!!
Are you shipping TamahikoxTamakoxShiratori and leaving outside Yuzu???????

Meanwhile w The thoughts of the other passengers: Flirt in private! So indecent!!

Cuteness level of this chapter: Max + 3

Japanese Tywin Shima father did nothing wrong. A man forged by poverty and circumstance, doing his absolute best at all times to perpetually insure his families legacy with every action, while still allowing and providing for small bits of kindness and love here and there. Despite his broken heart. Despite the monetary loss. What a hero.

I hope he and Tamayo have a good life together. She's right for him.

Don't compare him to an incompetent such as Tywin. The latter chased away anyone that had an iota of honor or loyalty inside. Only monsters stayed at his side. Which isolated him even more and led to his fall.

I ship it

Spoiler

Spoiler

I already guessed that the relationships Tamahiko built up will play a vital role in his fight against his family but that was kind of a bit lack luster compared to Tamahiko's threats against Tamao tbh.

Still, we're talking about a manga w/ utterly stellar proceedings so what's a small bump in the road anyway. Can't wait for the last few chapters!

People aren't perfect.

Even the Yuzuki-chan that we love have a dark side to her as well.

Well, that doesn't stop you from being the best waifu Yuzuki-chan. 

Geh, this turned dark fast. I'm glad it brightened up a bit, but the mc & heroine are so extreme. I hope they can work things out because the glow and happy times shadow the darker character traits. Really interesting.

Always refreshing to see credible psychopaths in fiction; defective products of their environment rather than unjustified sadists.

I wonder if we'll get more details on their mom's affair.
I kind of see the whole ´big sister is a bitch who wants to inherit everything' but the fact that Tamao's father isn't this s*n of a **** is both wonderful and shocking (I kinda lika the doctor and I wouldn't have picture him as a guy to sleep with his sister in law...) And no, I'm not shocked that they slept together, I'm sad that she's dead. Hope he loves his legal wife. This family is really a messed up and a sad one. Tamahiko shouldn't be the only one with a happy life !

this is one hell of a broken family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ie_(Japanese_family_system)

Based on family system of that time, Tamayo could be the head of Shima. It's a very rare thing and their family might be looked down by others but I think she'll manage.

She's willing to straight-up poison her bedridden and injured older brother and smile about it because it accomplished her goals. For a thimbleful of attention and ostensible affection.

I think she's going to thrive in that scenario, for better or worse, unless there's a karmic comeuppance wrapped into the plot for trope's sake.

There's no stopping an enabled (in this case via money and status) sociopath short of deus ex machina, or her meeting a lonely end years in the future because she lived like her father and after he eventually dies, there's nobody else to love her.

Question for people more historically knowledgable than I-

Would Tamayo even be allowed to inherit the Shima family money?  It's 1923, so she certainly wouldn't be allowed to run her father's company, would she?

Isn't it more historically accurate for them to find some young man to adopt into the family and make him marry Tamayo?  So he would at least be the face of the company?  Similar to what they did with Yuzu?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ie_(Japanese_family_system)

Based on family system of that time, Tamayo could be the head of Shima. It's a very rare thing and their family might be looked down by others but I think she'll manage.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics