Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.37 - 191votes)

Higashi no Kurume to Tonari no Meguru

Alt Names: alt 東のくるめと隣のめぐる
Author: Abiko Yu
Artist: Abiko Yu
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kousuke has a boring high-school life, but he sits next to his crush--the really popular, cute Tsukahara Meguru, who has a cool, stoic personality. One day, his parents announce that they're moving, but that he'll still be able to attend the same school. The new apartment building has a lovely river and friendly neighbors... and it is next door to where Tsukahara lives! Outside of school, she seems to have a completely different personality, friendly and a little quirky. She makes him promise not to tell the others at school how she acts at home, but why does she put on such an act for her classmates? [tethysdust]
Go to Higashi no Kurume to Tonari no Meguru Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic A Halloween Full of Girls? New Window Fadamor
  • 0 Replies
Topic Need a translator!! New Window Kiddo
  • 1 Replies

308 Comments

I know boys will be boys and all of that, but it makes me kinda sad that MC was bothered by onee-san's antics for more than ten seconds (let alone brooding about it later). I love sweet vanilla goodness too, but a tiny bit of genre awareness (or at least less naïvete) would have been better here.

Thank you for the warning. I wish I could point directly to the post you're quoting (Ladius, 10 Apr 2016 - 7:22 PM my time)... but if the contents of their spoiler tag are even more of a spoiler than their text that's not spoiler-tagged, then I definitely don't want to hit the Quote button and see all of it.

Ladius (and anyone, really): Please consider this as an open suggestion - if it's difficult to express a detail of future plotline without using the words "by the end", "in the end", "the ending", etc... then no matter how indirectly you think you've phrased it, it probably needs to be inside a spoiler tag just to be safe.

Wait so you really want to say that your upset because a teenage boy got excited over some tits... do you even realise how ridiculous that is, he's allowed to get turned on by boos or whatever being angry that he had the regular response that 99% of teenage boys would have is quite frankly ignorant
    • i2i likes this

I know boys will be boys and all of that, but it makes me kinda sad that MC was bothered by onee-san's antics for more than ten seconds (let alone brooding about it later). I love sweet vanilla goodness too, but a tiny bit of genre awareness (or at least less naïvete) would have been better here.

Thank you for the warning. I wish I could point directly to the post you're quoting (Ladius, 10 Apr 2016 - 7:22 PM my time)... but if the contents of their spoiler tag are even more of a spoiler than their text that's not spoiler-tagged, then I definitely don't want to hit the Quote button and see all of it.

Ladius (and anyone, really): Please consider this as an open suggestion - if it's difficult to express a detail of future plotline without using the words "by the end", "in the end", "the ending", etc... then no matter how indirectly you think you've phrased it, it probably needs to be inside a spoiler tag just to be safe.

He's in high school and has never touched boobs before. And he comes from one of the most prude of all the 1st world countries. So, yeah, believable.

He'll move on because he's got a singular desire for Meguru. He's not interested in either of her sisters, nor is he interested in her her best friend, despite their crushes on him. The road would be easier with them, but he's in love with this girl.

It's interesting, because Meguru insists she's not interested in Kousuke, but then thinks about growing old by his side, and sees him as a reliable partner. Their relationship is in many ways a lot more mature than any of the other main character relationships in the manga. They're building a strong foundation for a lifetime of love. :)

Hmm ... I also could not see what that chapter had to do with gardening. Wonder if I am totally missing something obvious. XD

Kousuke was about to plow some fields before that Tsukahara just had to ruin it.

Hmm ... I also could not see what that chapter had to do with gardening. Wonder if I am totally missing something obvious. XD

I guess he'll just have to RUB it out of his system if you know what i mean (°ℇ °)

Note: actual spoiler below (if it's true), don't click it.

First few pages in and the mc is annoying as fuck. He whines about how his high school life is dull but then he said his heart aches when he thought he was transferring school? He then complain about not moving and not getting his new high school debu....

yeah he should be like kirito

First few pages in and the mc is annoying as fuck. He whines about how his high school life is dull but then he said his heart aches when he thought he was transferring school? He then complain about not moving and not getting his new high school debut....As he walk in his new neighborhood, he diss on people as he passes by them like the father playing with his family, the old granny on the field, and the guy in the mascot who wanted a break. Does he know how hot and uncomfortable it is in a mascot costume? The guy inside just wanted a smoke and he diss on him? The mc said he should do his job properly? WTF, he just stay inside the mascot and sit there, there's isn't any people around so he can just a take a small break. The mc is so self center, that it's annoying to read. Sorry for this rant, I shouldn't judge the mc so soon and read more chapters. Hope this ungrateful fuck will get better.

So... he's not a Gary Stu, and this is somehow a bad thing?

Perfect characters are boring, family.

Both sisters better than the main girl confirmed.

*sigh*

I get the Feeling that Meguru is being prodded along gently by her family and friends into understanding and accepting that she has feelings for Kousuke. It doesn't feel too contrived, rather, she feels pressure from multiple angles, doesn't understand it too well, and reacts typically. Yet the story is as much about her rectifying her feelings as it is about Kousuke coming to know more about her. 

Some would argue that this is a bit cliched but... I like how cliched it is at times. I don't read too many where the story can be genuinely interesting.

First few pages in and the mc is annoying as fuck. He whines about how his high school life is dull but then he said his heart aches when he thought he was transferring school? He then complain about not moving and not getting his new high school debut....As he walk in his new neighborhood, he diss on people as he passes by them like the father playing with his family, the old granny on the field, and the guy in the mascot who wanted a break. Does he know how hot and uncomfortable it is in a mascot costume? The guy inside just wanted a smoke and he diss on him? The mc said he should do his job properly? WTF, he just stay inside the mascot and sit there, there's isn't any people around so he can just a take a small break. The mc is so self center, that it's annoying to read. Sorry for this rant, I shouldn't judge the mc so soon and read more chapters. Hope this ungrateful fuck will get better.

I am so happy to hear this but sad cause

Spoiler

Would it?

Spoiler

still trying to figure out why middle schoolers are flitting around awkwardly and delicately like grade schoolers.

What age people tend to get up to what varies hugely not just between countries and different times, but even from micro-culture to micro-culture within a single city.  If you think middle schoolers act like X and grade schoolers act like Y it's just being immersed in the particular assumptions of your place, time, social class and so on.

still trying to figure out why middle schoolers are flitting around awkwardly and delicately like grade schoolers. a little naivete is great in these kiddy romcoms, but there's way too much of it in this manga.

it's not even sweet anymore, just exasperating.

Fine, I guess it is sorta a "harem"... though most certainly not by the end.

Spoiler

Sweet. Now i'm looking forward to it.

uh i disagree with your statement here, Harem do not have to have Romance to be Harem, because harem is "A series involving one male character and many female characters (usually attracted to the male character). A Reverse Harem is when the genders are reversed".(Reference Tag Harem in Bato.to)

Usually is not a must, so as long as a lone male mc surrounded with girls it will called harem even although there is no romance.

and well, btw we still in ch10 so i cant judge it personally(although raws already up to ch26, but i dont like spoiling myself) so far i too feel the harem part in this series but i will try to believe eventhough this one has "harem" but it not like other disgusting harem manga which have perverted mc(even some of the mc admits if he really a pervert) and full of fan service but no story, personally i hate that type of "harem" too...

like the old man say, dont hate the tag but hate the stories lol

It's a harem. Just a more realistic harem instead of an Ecchi harem. Basically multiple girls have feelings for him at once (thus.. harem). Now the don't "throw" themselves at him so that makes it less of a crazy harem like other mangas (with the exception of the little sis.. but, she started that from the get go.. she doesn't count). All in all harems can be well done or poorly done. In this case each girl has their own reasons for liking the MC and they aren't like trying to stab each other and quarrel over him (at least not yet). This is actually oddly enough a "harem" without fan service which... works actually because it gives an element of humor waiting for a punchline that will never come.

And there is a difference between a disgusting MC and a Pervert MC. Ise from High School DxD is a high leveled pervert but, not disgusting (focused more on the emotional and mental state of his harem instead of just using them and throwing them away.)

I was like, "Ooh, the punchline will come soo.. Eh?"

The only time when the gag is that the punchline never comes XD.

Fine, I guess it is sorta a "harem"... though most certainly not by the end.

Spoiler

I am so happy to hear this but sad cause

Spoiler

Love this series. But that cat...Aphro, the cat, she looked familiar. She looks a lot like Melanie from "the secret railroad" a 1978 French Canadian animated series... http://youtu.be/U9qn801eJ-c

I agree. Funny thing was I was excpecting this to have more comedy when I saw the art for the first time a shame really

I was like,
"Ooh, the punchline will come soo.. Eh?"

Is it just me or page 17~18 is the same ?

I forgot.to delete one of it when QCing, no biggies. At least you can enjoy the page twice, amirite?

And thanks for LoneSylph for informing the correct labeling of the volume(Volume 2 start at chap 9)

Japan invented High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Now they unleash this.

And thus Japan's plans to give the whole world diabeetus advance so.

Is it just me or page 17~18 is the same ?

I reported the issue in the QA forum.

I think we need to change the spoiler tag usage culture on batoto because sometimes you click and it's an actual spoiler and you're like fuuuu... oh wait it was marked...

^

I don't know how feasible it is, but it really would be nifty if it's possible to duplicate the code and create a second tag with the text "etc" instead of "spoiler". I don't mind accidentally getting spoiled now and again by someone raising an interesting point... but when you think you're clicking on a lengthy comment, it's tiresome to keep tripping into unsolicited spoilers that seem to have no point but to spoil.

The art is better suited for comedy..

I can't feel the atmosphere at all when the topic goes serious

I agree. Funny thing was I was excpecting this to have more comedy when I saw the art for the first time a shame really

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics