Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.69 - 208votes)

Mill

Alt Names: alt ミルalt 미르alt Miru
Author: Tahara Kazunori
Artist: Tahara Kazunori
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: College student Aki is shocked when a teenage girl suddenly barges into his Tokyo apartment, acting as if he should know her. When the truth becomes clear, the situation is even stranger. The 'teenage girl' is actually his precious pet cat Mill from his home in Kyushu, who is apparently an 86 year old 'monster cat' who can change between cat and human forms. Will Aki be able to fit his supernatural pet cat into his ordinary college life?
Go to Mill Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Mill released chapter discussion New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies

442 Comments

Soooo this is from,....

I've already forgotten all Fate parodies I read in the past.

It's one of Hiroyuki's doujins. "Cat is fine too" is definitely from "Dakara, Ore wa Ren wo Osou", the other one... Don't know.

Also, it's Tsukihime, not Fate.

Such a pleasant series.

Hoping to see more~ thanks for your work rpapo. The scans are pretty neat.

Anyway, nitpicking about translation of "shougi" in a series that's not even about chess/shougi? Seriously?

i'm not anyone suspicious jajajaja

lmao, what is this from? 

Me. And I am quite aware that the game is "shougi". But your average English-speaker could hardly care less, and it matters little to the story. Anybody who knows what Shougi is will know what is going on from the artwork.

From WWWJDICT:

I could have put "Japanese Chess" or "Shougi", but the first is wordy and the second would require a footnote for most English speakers. While one can certainly use these stories as a means to teach Japanese culture, that detracts from one's enjoyment of the story itself.

As a side note, being called a "sacrificial pawn" is a new one for me. Geek, nerd, gray-hair and old man are old hat. Likening me to a chess piece is a new one.   :blink:

I love how translationnazis pop up on the comment boards to criticize but never do any scanslation work themselves. I mean seriously, if you're so good at Japanese, why are you even here reading the translated version, language genius? =P

Anyway, thanks for another great chapter, rpapo!

Never forget:

56IIrk8.png

i'm not anyone suspicious jajajaja

Never forget:

56IIrk8.png

Soooo this is from,....

I've already forgotten all Fate parodies I read in the past.

Never forget:

56IIrk8.png

after reading chapter 8 the first thing to pop in my head was "he should fuck that cat"

How dare you SIR!!! Don't ruin the vanilla

Spoiler

after reading chapter 8 the first thing to pop in my head was "he should fuck that cat"

The feels are real and pleasant.

Methinks this chapter to be a worthy ending for the first volume.  Five more volumes to go.

I started reading this because I misread the title as milf. Since it made me find this interesting manga, I would say it is my best mistake of the week.

Following it

Omg, who was the 捨て駒 who translated 将棋("Shougi") with Chess?

Me. And I am quite aware that the game is "shougi". But your average English-speaker could hardly care less, and it matters little to the story. Anybody who knows what Shougi is will know what is going on from the artwork.

From WWWJDICT:

将棋(P); 象棋; 象戯 【しょうぎ】 (n) shogi; Japanese chess; xianqi;

I could have put "Japanese Chess" or "Shougi", but the first is wordy and the second would require a footnote for most English speakers. While one can certainly use these stories as a means to teach Japanese culture, that detracts from one's enjoyment of the story itself.

As a side note, being called a "sacrificial pawn" is a new one for me. Geek, nerd, gray-hair and old man are old hat. Likening me to a chess piece is a new one.   :blink:

Come my friends, let us ride the train to feelsville.

Were you to look two comments down you would be able to figure out who translated it... you self-entitled kumquat.

Well, issues of disrespect aside, this really isn't one of those instances where I feel the story would be any different if it were "chess" or "shougi". On top of that, while I would consider them different games personally, the argument that "shougi is not chess" isn't quite that cut in stone. They're considered by some to be effectively variants of the same game, which western countries happen to refer to as 'chess', even as they know that some of the eastern forms are closer to whatever common ancestor the games are believed to share.

Those two games are entirely different (at least in the setting, the way you play them is nearly the same), as the board is larger (9x9; chess 8x8), Shougi having 8 different types of pieces(chess only 6) and a starting formation using 3 rows of the board (chess only 2)[these are the most obvious differences, there are many others, too].

Since this manga uses many old cultural references due to the female lead being from that era, I think it's only proper to use the correct term Shougi instead of chess. Those who don't know the game can always look it up in a dictionary :) (reminds me of reading "Uwagaki" where I stumbled over the term "Kabaddi"[seriously, who in Europe knows that game?xD] so I had to research about it)

Sweet, bitter, and calm. Love it! 113.gif

I don't get why she left. Cause she felt unneeded?

I don't entirely get it either... yet.  But remember, she said she had "bad character".  That might have something to do with it . . . and I suspect it is something that will be a factor later in the story.  "Bad character" can mean many things.  And remember that apart from being female, she is quite literally a cat.

But that's just me theorizing.  I don't "know" much more than you do, and am learning the story as I translate it.

Man I just hope that Anri is still happy.

I don't get why she left. Cause she felt unneeded?

Totally thought she would give in and play chess with her (as a cat). Then she (the owner) would freak out and chase Mill outta the house or something... idk... feelin' so stupid now...

so much mellowness in this chapter.... I need to punch some wall to bring up my masculinity back..

@rpapo, do you have access to all RAWs up until last chapter (in volume 6)?

Yep.  I have all six printed books, plus there were perfectly usable public raws out there.  I am using the public raws as the basis of the scanlation.  So far, I have had no need to cut up the physical books to get better images (something I've had to do many times now for Boku no Marie).

The printed books serve a good purpose, though: they are easier to read in the fine print than the public raws.  Right now, this moment, I have chapter 7 open on my desk as I transcribe the text to translate it.

Finally, some interesting manga without ecchi or fanservice - eventhough the are plenty of moments for the author to do so! Really hard to find mangas like this nowadays...

BTW, if it indeed goes down the romantic path, it'd be sure a tragic one, like Edward and Kim in "Edward Scissorhands" - because one of them is (semi-)immortal. Does anyone know any other manga(s) like this (tragic romance; e.g. Saikano)?

P/S: @rpapo, do you have access to all RAWs up until last chapter (in volume 6)? Thanks for the work anyway, I really enjoy it!

This story is ripe for certain kinds of gags. Reading forward into the next few chapters to see what is in store, I happened upon a scene where the two of them are in an appliance store. They wander past the computers. Mill sees a computer mouse and asks what it is. Aki replies that it is a 'mouse', using the English word. She says "mausu?", and he explains the meaning in Japanese, then seeing her reaction hastily adds, "It's not for eating." She gets irritated, and says, "I don't even eat the real thing!"

More hilarity ensues in the store on different topics.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics