Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 1530votes)

Mahou Tsukai no Yome

Alt Names: alt Ang Asawa ng Magoalt เจ้าสาวผมแดงกับจอมเวทอสูรalt Cô Dâu Pháp Sưalt Die Braut des Magiersalt 魔法使いの嫁alt 魔法使之嫁alt 魔法使的新娘alt Kadim Magus'un Gelinialt La Femme du Magealt La Prometida del Magoalt La sposa dello stregonealt Mahoutsukai no Yomealt Oblubienica czarnoksiężnikaalt The Ancient Magus' Bridealt The Magician's Bridealt Velhon morsianalt Невеста чародеяalt כלת המגוס העתיקalt عروس السّاحر
Author: Yamazaki Kore
Artist: Yamazaki Kore
Genres: Adventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyShounen ShounenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hatori Chise is only 16, but she has lost far more than most. With neither family nor hope, it seems all doors are closed to her. But a chance encounter begins to turn the rusted wheels of fate. In her darkest hour, a mysterious magus appears before Chise, offering a chance she couldn't turn down. This magus who seems closer to demon than human, will he bring her the light she desperately seeks, or drown her in ever deeper shadows?
Nominated for the 8th Manga Taisho Award.
Go to Mahou Tsukai no Yome Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Up-To-Date Theories! Seeing Things With a New Set of Eyes New Window Lilienne Lethe
  • 0 Replies
Topic Chise's Eye Color New Window koreofpacks
  • 7 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Comadrin
  • 1 Replies
Topic OVAs by Studio Wit New Window 8lacKy
  • 8 Replies
Topic Chapter 27 New Window Yung_Zefling
  • 2 Replies

1286 Comments

Putting aside all the comotion, I think Chise will be Joseph's redemption, since that dream she had with him. 

And all the people involved in this chapter, it's obvious something big going to happen.

Elias' song.

Spoiler

Joseph needs to prepare his burial once Elias found him.

See why i tell you Chise are beyond stupid. Think she can fix everything by herself without even understand that everyone worried about her.

Well, Chise had had a deal with a devil already before (when she's sold as a slave). N it turned out great for her... Now she had a deal for a second time with a greater demon... I guess she will pay one way or another sooner or later.

how about this? both are stupid either way.

slay beggy? Let's slay beggers. How was the name "slay vega" chosen for this manga's translation?

I guess the scanlators don't know their Manx folklore. What amateurs, lol.

For real though, it would both be pronounced "Surei bega" by the Japanese and you have to guess which language they're even butchering. Apparently it was Manx, of all things.

Slay vega was a reasonable guess.

Jesus, are people here seriously defending Elias? I mean, Chise's decision isn't ideal either, they are both flawed, but Elias was about to kill an innocent girl to save Chise. He clearly has little understanding of his own feelings, and as long as he doesn't sort them out or begins to think outside his own needs and newfound jealousy then Chise will keep suffering under his actions. Elias needs to see Chise eye-to-eye, as an equal, and not act like a child when she starts treating other people than him as special.

I mean, I don't think Chise is equal to Elias. There is an inherit power dynamic in the relationship even with Elias having childish traits. She is too ignorant of the world to be an "equal". I don't think many people are excusing Elias's actions outright. But Elias is not Chise, you're looking at two characters with very different moral standings and perspectives. Chise brings out the best in Elias but Elias is pretty twisted in terms of what he is capable of and his perspective on the world around him. 

slay beggy? Let's slay beggers. How was the name "slay vega" chosen for this manga's translation?

Slay Vega is (I believe) how its written grammatically in the japanese, it is definitely how its pronounced by the VAs. Sleigh Beggy is a real mythological creature, which is what the author meant for her to be.

SLEIGH BEGGY

Episode 1 of the anime was superb.

WiT Studio has consistent quality in everything they animate.

Way to go, Ruth.

this is becoming annoying. fuck

r/relationships > My [14F] fiance [???M] tried to sacrifice my friend [12F] to save my life.  Should I break up with him?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hostage situation to be honest. Either Chise goes back to Elias and let her friend get abducted by Joseph or go with Joseph and find a way to save her friend.

To be fair it probably would have gone a lot worse. If she hadn't gone with him, Joseph probably would have started a conflict with Elias and Ruth while he was still controlling Stella's body to try to force her to come along, and we all saw how much those two care about Stella.

His apology is entirely empty because he doesn't care that she objects to such a method, reinforced by him openly rejecting her stance on the matter when she asserted it: that he made her no such promise.

his apology meant something because he stopped. if he is the psychopath you suggest he is, he has all the power at his disposal to make it happen, regardless of her objection. all he would need to do is make her forget or think everything was a nightmare afterward, but the fact that an eldritch horror is cowed by a teenager's glare means there is more to this empty apology than you may think.

I'm really glad all the foreshadowing to Elias' jealous, possessive nature is coming to a head. I was worried the mangaka was trying to glamorize that sort of thing, which you tend to see a lot, especially in Older Male Sensei/Younger Female Student dynamics.

Chise went full retard. Seriously.

Granted Elias tried to kill her friend, but trusting Joseph over Elias? really?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hostage situation to be honest. Either Chise goes back to Elias and let her friend get abducted by Joseph or go with Joseph and find a way to save her friend.

There's a lot of good comments here IMO.  Not too much to say that hasn't been said.  One wrinkle I'd like to suggest is why Elias didn't tell her.  Sure, there's the obvious reason that she wouldn't go for it.  But underlying that is that he knows it is a bad thing to do, and so for her sake he can't make her complicit in the deed.  He is not just willing to do an evil deed to save her life, he is willing to be morally stained by it to save her life--but not to let her be stained by it.  I must say the jealousy angle threw me for a loop though.

As a side note, it seems like a lot of people are talking as if Chise has decided to deal with Joseph.  That is not established.  We know she has told Elias that she's not staying with him.  That does not mean she's given in to Joseph.  She might, but we still don't know what she's going to do on that front.  His blackmail seems convincing, but she has not yet said whether she's convinced.  It has been skilfully made to feel as though she might go along with Joseph because she unconsciously echoed his words, but that is just an emotional impression.

What a mess.  Bloody dragons.  You save one's life, it curses you to die horribly.

Whoa whoa people lets all take a little tea time and relax and just come to one conclusion... Both sides were a bit at fault here.

Elias trying to murder her best friend to save Chise is bad given her values thus he needs proper guidance. Granted understandable why he did it but still Elias bad boy.

Chise should of probably handled the situation better and leaving Elias for Joseph isn't exactly a bright idea in my mind for several reasons given that:
1. Elias doesn't still know how to function somewhat properly as he is a outcast to everyone but a few and hasn't been raised well and this maybe is a bad way to teach him a lesson given his past

2. Joseph isn't exactly a good guy either and is a tentacle monster. People you never EVER LEAVE A YOUNG FEMALE WITH A TENTACLE MONSTER.

Lastly TRAPS ARE FUCKING GAY! Now out the door I go before I am lynched by the incoming mobs.

if you can't trust elias at this point, after everything that has happened up to now, you have problems that no one can fix. anger, yeah that's understandable. but not trusting elias' intentions is ridiculous

But his intention is exactly the problem she's having with him right now, she's not misunderstanding anything about what he intended to do.  He intended to kill one of her friends as a means to save her- in shameless defiance of her own feelings.  His apology is entirely empty because he doesn't care that she objects to such a method, reinforced by him openly rejecting her stance on the matter when she asserted it: that he made her no such promise.  It's not that he's not understanding what her feelings are and what her thinking is, he knows exactly what they are and he decided they don't matter because they conflict with what he wants right now- otherwise he and Ruth would not have concealed the plan from her and intended to surprise her with "Good morning! I've cured you, but in an entirely coincidental and unrelated turn of events your human friend that we felt emotionally threatened by also died".  She's realized that right now it's entirely about what he wants- he wants her to live, and he wants her to only have him, and it doesn't matter what he does to accomplish that.  That's the exact behavior Elias said makes Joseph the most deplorable kind of monster, so where is that supposed to leave him in her eyes when he's doing the exact same thing?

The decision was to go with Joseph is non-negotiable even if Elias and Ruth didn't completely betray her trust in them and if she wasn't overwhelmingly angry at them.  He brazenly says there's no point in mincing words over it as she knows what is going to happen to Stella if she refuses his offer.  It's not in her nature to say "Go ahead and kill her, it's not my problem." when it's her friend on the line.

Spoiler

In Chise's case, I agree with the other people wherein that she was emotionally frantic. Elias promised her that they'd find a way together but Elias broke that trust. Not only that, it meant that he was going to kill one of the few friends she actually has. Chise values human relations because she had little to none during his childhood so of course that betrayal was a huge blow to her. Now, I don't know if that would be logical enough to literally leave Elias for Carthapilus but Chise's not a dumb girl. I believe she first wants to liberate her friend from Carthapilus WHILE leaving Elias to learn a lesson about humanity. After all, there's this old saying that one cannot gain anything without losing something. For Elias to gain back Chise, he first has to lose her.

we know she isn't dumb, but she wouldn't hesitate to sacriface herself for others and that's going to be a big ass problem, this all started 'cause she still hasn't learned the value of her own life and how she influences others, she has changed Elias a lot and the witch drove Elias into the wall, plus as the kid he is, his insecurities about Stella made him choose the choice preferred for him and not try with Chise to arrive to another answer, Ruth was convinced easily, because they aren't getting any hope to save her yet and he wants to be with Chise and not be alone again.

we all are discussing this, because this is one hell of an arc and the author has delivered masterfully, even if some people doesn't like how it happened, this needed to be done ... and Chise getting "kidnapped" by Cartaphilus was foreshadowed a looong time ago.

Now, now. Everyone's up in arms with this matter (and the discussions are fine) but seriously both of them are in the wrong here but were doing it for their own reasons.

For Elias' case, he knew what he was about to do was unforgivable and he even asked Ruth for validation. I wanna agree with @Xervoria's idea that Elias intends on letting Chise go after the events but that's not a possibility that we'll see. Now, why would Elias go to these lengths? Because he cares about Chise so much that he'd sacrifice anything to save her. If you, a thousand year old magus who's been alone for centuries, finally found someone worth spending your time with, wouldn't you do anything to do that? The only problem here is that he doesn't know any other method aside from that. I swear to you, if Elias had a way where the sacrifice was to be him, he wouldn't have changed his decision. It's just that He has a different specie-type compared to Chise so he wasn't compatible. He does show remorse for his actions before he did anything, as proven when he literally asked Ruth "You'd do the same thing as I'd do, right?". That gesture means that he was thinking twice about the matter because he knows this was a bad thing to do.

In Chise's case, I agree with the other people wherein that she was emotionally frantic. Elias promised her that they'd find a way together but Elias broke that trust. Not only that, it meant that he was going to kill one of the few friends she actually has. Chise values human relations because she had little to none during his childhood so of course that betrayal was a huge blow to her. Now, I don't know if that would be logical enough to literally leave Elias for Carthapilus but Chise's not a dumb girl. I believe she first wants to liberate her friend from Carthapilus WHILE leaving Elias to learn a lesson about humanity. After all, there's this old saying that one cannot gain anything without losing something. For Elias to gain back Chise, he first has to lose her.

Jesus, are people here seriously defending Elias? I mean, Chise's decision isn't ideal either, they are both flawed, but Elias was about to kill an innocent girl to save Chise. He clearly has little understanding of his own feelings, and as long as he doesn't sort them out or begins to think outside his own needs and newfound jealousy then Chise will keep suffering under his actions. Elias needs to see Chise eye-to-eye, as an equal, and not act like a child when she starts treating other people than him as special.

Elias might have developed feelings of love for Chise, but it's a very immature sort of love, and the purity of his feelings doesn't immediately give him a free pass to do whatever.

Again, Chise didn't act fantastically either (going off with Joseph and letting her exalted feelings take control isn't great), but I dare say Elias was even worse. They both enabled this situation to happen.

(And that's great from a storytelling standpoint! I'm really eager to see how this develops! But that people here even think that Elias is "right" or that Chise is being ungrateful really sends chills down my spine)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics