Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 136votes)

Sen to Man

Alt Names: alt 千と万alt Chi and Maalt Sen and Manalt Thousand and Ten Thousand
Author: Sekiya Asami
Artist: Sekiya Asami
Genres: Comedy ComedySeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: A slice-of-life series about a girl, Shima, and her father, Chihiro.
Go to Sen to Man Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed Sen to Man New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies

214 Comments

About some of the comments below, have you never do a chore without getting rewarded? The chores in this chapter are not even that hard. Hell, I would even ask for more chores if I can get allowance from it. Also, don't forget that he's a single parent, it would be nice to have some help.

The portrayal is so realistic I'm starting to get concerned over Shima's manipulative behaviour later.

Let's just hope she won't make people up to ruin someone's life.

Well, it's certainly a relief to see that she's not constantly physically abused by her father like the ending of the last chapter suggested. Would kinda ruin the fluffy mildly awkward family dynamics and all that.

You know, Shima's spoiled and all, so I get why people here would start being all critical of her upbringing, and such. But I would never expect people to try and use "free food and clothing" as bargaining chips for making their children do chores. Or fail to take into account that maybe, just maybe, it might be easier sometimes to coax a child into doing something rather than coercing them.

Sasuga, comments section. 

You're misapprehending.  The "free food and clothing" thing isn't a bargaining chip.  That would imply there are bargains going on.

The "free food and clothing" thing is a statement of fact.  In most households, the one who pays the bills gets to make the rules.  It's a question of saying: "in our house, things work like this" and laying down the rules.

<i>If the parents abide by the rules they themselves have set</i> and don't cut the children slack when they invariably test those limits, the children usually comply without problems.  They, as a rule, like knowing there are limits and what those limits are.

But in Chihiro's case, being a single parent with a child of the opposite gender, he's quite a bit mystified by how she works and where the proper limits are.  She notices this and takes advantage of it; this is particularly clear in this last episode.

altough I know what are my daughter scheming... I still want to pamper her.... because she's so cute... well I do angry to her sometimes but never hit her...

hit your own daughter give unpleasant feeling... I know exactly how her father feels...

You know, Shima's spoiled and all, so I get why people here would start being all critical of her upbringing, and such. But I would never expect people to try and use "free food and clothing" as bargaining chips for making their children do chores. Or fail to take into account that maybe, just maybe, it might be easier sometimes to coax a child into doing something rather than coercing them.

Sasuga, comments section. 

Now I wonder what she did that made him mad enough to hit her.

Let's guess!

I'm gonna go for the cliche and say she broke some memento of his dead wife. Given the way she's regarding whatever it is she's looking at she clearly doesn't care much about it. We haven't ever seen her think about her mother, though, so I guess that's normal.

Now I wonder what she did that made him mad enough to hit her.

I would say "never have children" but since you're here that's pretty much estabilished already.

:(

That's a similarly inaccurate argument that is too often used in reality to justify treating children like free labor. Nothing is free if you're working for it.

Though most household chores are basic hygiene and responsibility, making someone else clean up after you (whether it includes them as well or not) is still work. Teaching your child to maintain healthy habits is one thing, using that as a carte blanche to make them do all the work rewardless because "you pay the bills" is just an excuse to be lazy and stingy. As an adult, when you work you get paid. So, it should follow that, when your child completes a chore that's more than basic hygiene, they should be rewarded for it. Money can be tight but if you have a limited supply of affection for your kids then you're a shitty parent.

I would say "never have children" but since you're here that's pretty much estabilished already.

I don't get why people expect reward for chores... you get free food and clothes and basically everything you'd ask for (within limits of reason/budget/necessity). Especially since he's a single parent and has hard enough time as it is.

That's a similarly inaccurate argument that is too often used in reality to justify treating children like free labor. Nothing is free if you're working for it.

Though most household chores are basic hygiene and responsibility, making someone else clean up after you (whether it includes them as well or not) is still work. Teaching your child to maintain healthy habits is one thing, using that as a carte blanche to make them do all the work rewardless because "you pay the bills" is just an excuse to be lazy and stingy. As an adult, when you work you get paid. So, it should follow that, when your child completes a chore that's more than basic hygiene, they should be rewarded for it. Money can be tight but if you have a limited supply of affection for your kids then you're a shitty parent.

I don't get why people expect reward for chores... you get free food and clothes and basically everything you'd ask for (within limits of reason/budget/necessity). Especially since he's a single parent and has hard enough time as it is.

So if your kid doesn't do chores then you won't feed him, buy him clothes or give him anything at all? I understand your point but this is this and that is that. Every household is different and has different circumstances, but at the very least on households that are doing well in terms of money, since the chances are they give their kids allowance anyway there's nothing wrong with giving them money for hard chores, at the very least it starts teaching them the basics of doing a job.

On this case however I would agree that since the dude's a single parent then the kid should feel more responsibility toward the household, which would be the case of a household that doesn't reward chores since things are tough as it is.

I think he lets her off the hook too easily. On the other hand he should try to reward her for doing chores too, i.e. i dont know head pats or allowance

That's easy to say if you're not in that position yourself.

I think he lets her off the hook too easily. On the other hand he should try to reward her for doing chores too, i.e. i dont know head pats or allowance

Oh man, it's been so long, yet the chapter is still so short!

Thanks for the release : >

Every light series with cute small girl get abused by so many people for violating their sense of justice and morality by people who always thinks that the only feeling that man has for small girl is just a lust.

If its like this, is not the one who commenting about sexualizing kids is the real Pedo?

To be fair, I think we were all pretty big jerks when we were kids. I know I would've hated pre-teen me as a person and as a kid. I assume parents are warned about this stuff in the instruction manual they receive when they make children.

That's how it works, right?

To be fair, Shima is a really realistic portrayal of a pre-teen girl; we don't expect girls to actually act like teenagers in manga, really, so it kind of grates, I guess.

That being said, my experience is that the more responsible and sensible kids are at that age, the more screwed up their parents are.  So way to go, Chihiro?  He's certainly good enough to Shima that she can afford to be spoiled like that...

She's such a horrible daughter. I mean, I get it, but that poor dad.

To be fair, I think we were all pretty big jerks when we were kids. I know I would've hated pre-teen me as a person and as a kid. I assume parents are warned about this stuff in the instruction manual they receive when they make children.

That's how it works, right?

1. ICD-10 is international medical registry. And just as I said, getting attracted to girls above threshold for pedophilia (as defined before) is not unhealthy at all as long at it is not attraction for only those girls. Also not harmful for girls themselves, but here you'd have to just believe me, as I can't be bothered to linking you anything beyond this one paper (note the info at the end). Also note that there is no evidence for any harm whatsoever caused by "early" sexual activity, and as I have just linked you data on the contrary, well...

2.1. Man, have you even read what Oedipus/Electra and Griselda/Kai complexes are? Those are the core of love relationships in human beings. Freud made his career on that discovery.

2.2. Wrong. Neoteny is a characteristic that exhibits more youthful appearance, but not appearance of "young adult" young, but a "childlike" young. Take axolotl as an example. And human's neoteny is connected to several generation of mother-daughter hebephiliac incest in response to hidden ovulation becoming a dominant characteristic in response to massacres every mating season due to lack of proper aggression instincts in primates and highly increased lethality of fights after invention of proper weapons. But hey, you didn't take even a single class in evolutionary anthropology, why would you even believe that?

1.Well i know that the IDC-10 is free to download but you can also find the DSM-5/DCM-IV-TR in the net but yeah it is pretty boring to find that specific diagnosis in in the sexual whatever you call it category (too lazy to even check the name in my book now just finished the sem) but yeah you guys should listen to him lol
2.1 that part of the theory of freud is really not well agreed now considering most of freud's research are no longer valid(i mean who would put in their research paper about a man's daughter who is jealous of his p**is that's why she wants babies cause babies are like p**is? wut m8,this is just a summery not really the whole thing but more or less some of his notes are like that,and he is someone feminist groups would hate today though it was normal in his time to be a bit sexist i guess) though his defense mechanisms and his conscious and unconscious, with the id and ego etcetc. which people still give credit they just don't approve his theory as a whole.
2.2 nothing really to say here but ok

I personally approve (not that I have any power to enforce it here) of that stream of comments as long as it remains civil.

There's nothing wrong with learning about the proper definitions and cultural aspects of these topics being discussed in a calm manner (i.e. drop personal attacks) even if this isn't the best place for it.

That said, do talk about the manga too.

1) Also, I don't have a clue what ICD-10 is, but like I said before, I don't care at all if you're a pedophile or a hebephile as long as you don't act on those impulses on real children.

2.1) Um, what? Love between a man and a woman is quasi-incest? You're really going to have to back that up.

2.2) Wow I am learning a lot today. Sending me on Wikipedia hunts everywhere. If I'm understanding this correctly, neoteny is the evolutionary selection process that has taken place in our species to favor features that are youthful and indicated that they would be fertile? And that this has resulted in a longer maturation period and allowed for more emotional and social growth?

1. ICD-10 is international medical registry. And just as I said, getting attracted to girls above threshold for pedophilia (as defined before) is not unhealthy at all as long at it is not attraction for only those girls. Also not harmful for girls themselves, but here you'd have to just believe me, as I can't be bothered to linking you anything beyond this one paper (note the info at the end). Also note that there is no evidence for any harm whatsoever caused by "early" sexual activity, and as I have just linked you data on the contrary, well...

2.1. Man, have you even read what Oedipus/Electra and Griselda/Kai complexes are? Those are the core of love relationships in human beings. Freud made his career on that discovery.

2.2. Wrong. Neoteny is a characteristic that exhibits more youthful appearance, but not appearance of "young adult" young, but a "childlike" young. Take axolotl as an example. And human's neoteny is connected to several generation of mother-daughter hebephiliac incest in response to hidden ovulation becoming a dominant characteristic in response to massacres every mating season due to lack of proper aggression instincts in primates and highly increased lethality of fights after invention of proper weapons. But hey, you didn't take even a single class in evolutionary anthropology, why would you even believe that?

Wow. Those comments. Either you guys are playing comedy or you are actually retarded.

Cool, Shima. Nice misunderstandings.

Yknow, how about this: Don't fuck little kids and don't read about little kids (or some magical anime bullshit 500 year-old that looks like she's 5 or whatever) being fucked.

Jesus Christ, you'd think people would have some common sense.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics