Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.37 - 110votes)

Pastel

Alt Names: alt 纯爱涂鸦alt Pastellalt Pasuteru
Author: Kobayashi Toshihiko
Artist: Kobayashi Toshihiko
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaEcchi EcchiHarem HaremRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Poor Mugi Tadano! Heartbroken after his girlfriend moves away, he takes a summer job at his friend Kazuki's beachside snack bar/hotel on a tropical island. It seems like the perfect plan - until he meets Yuu, who might just be the cutest person that Mugi has ever seen.
Go to Pastel Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Any Chance of New Chapters? New Window Juan Gutierrez
  • 4 Replies
Topic Chapter 103!?!? (spoiler) New Window Daktyl
  • 0 Replies

164 Comments

Nyotaimori. That's what it was. I was looking for that word. Gotta make note.

So a light post is more entertaining than fishing. I see.

unfortunately I can not upload chapters of Pastel from Dynasty Scans because of "don't upload" policy :/ .. sorry guys

I can't even find this on Dynasty Scans, I wish this was updated more often.
i gave this manga a chance and i liked it but i want to see some more Mugui and Yuu this is just too slow, it bores me a bit
@acolyte
I started reading manga since 1993 (in my country, so not much titles were available) and I only approached old mangas (such as Mizuki & Touch - 1980) since 2007 when moving to the states. I've read a lot of slice-of-life mangas (like them a lot, too), but this is just too much. Old slice-of-life mangas feel real, but those new ones feel so fake and boring (they are usually about sexual jokes and ecchi stuffs).
P/s: I'm only in my mid 20s though.
@Randrakan564 It's hard because the manga culture is changing these days, well as always, period of time when a certain 'style' becomes popular.
Long-time manga readers can appreciate these old style, but new readers complain endlessly. The cycles goes on. I'm sure I can't appreciate manga that was published/localized before I read my first manga (~2000s, so that would be mangas from 1980s mostly)
Also these readers should be warned what 'Slice of Life' tag means..
They should try reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō. That'll be a pain for them XD
I want to post this here so new readers don't get scared away by people complaining about this manga being stretched and such.
Pastel was not my first manga by far, however it was one of the manga that got me hooked on manga itself. It's been out since 2002, first translation was around 2004 and it was when I first started reading...that's 8 years I've followed this manga.
This manga has plenty of cliche moments, it has several frustrating moments as their relationship develops but it never fails to keep me entertained. Over the years I've gotten really attached to the characters, in fact I haven't grown so attached to manga characters aside from One Piece and that's a weekly series!
People have this notion that romance manga reach their ending when the the main character finally gets together with the "end girl" and while it may be true to some, this isn't really a fully romance manga. I was always an avid believer of "end it rather than stretch it", for example series like GE and KNIM (recent shounen examples) have been getting stretched way beyond the reasonable point. To stretch them so much lots of drama and twists are needed which only serve to irritate the reader.
Pastel doesn't do that. This manga went from a slice of life, comedy and romance mix, to a pure slice of life manga and it was done extremely well. No unnecessary drama and plot twists are being used! True, there's no real development in the story but then again in real life, is there drama all the time? Are there not couples that live together with nothing overly dramatic happening for years?
The pace at which the chapters are released in english is actually helping the manga. Think about it, 128 chapters in 8 years! You usually get a chapter every couple of months and that helps to keep the manga fresh. If you got the chapters every week, or even every two weeks you'd quickly get bored of the slow plot pace. However, since this is released so slowly, you get that "Oh cool, new Pastel" feeling every time it updates.

Said a lot of things but I can sum it up to this. This manga is more than worth your time, it is not one of those manga you should come in expecting major drama, or any drama at all. It's a heartwarming, sweet and innocent slice of life manga with characters you soon grow attached to. Even if it is being stretched, the manga itself is not being ruined, it just adds to its slice-of-lifeness!
Give it a shot! Slap a follow on it and look forward to the next chapter!
OMG, when will this manga end? The story is very good until chap 100 (I've read those chapters a couple of times), but after that it goes nowhere! The art suddenly changed around chap 100 too (worse than before) => which I find amusing because in manga, the art style usually becomes better with later chapters.
"Mugi will be sad if you didn't feel the thunder!"

Hahaha Pepper.
This is really cute, but geez how much can someone repress themselves for no good reason at all... can't be healthy that.
i agree with the cats, mate already.
Near the end of volume 25, this turned into pure slice-of-life goodness. Nothing much going on, but very fun to read.
..with the drawback of disappointing people who are expecting too much development. It's still fun, though! Recommended
This is a really sweet story, that the right wording? anyways its a good story u could say heart warming?
hmm yeah, alot of chapters will be missing =_=
unfortunately I can not upload chapters of Pastel from Dynasty Scans because of "don't upload" policy :/ .. sorry guys

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics