Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 351votes)

Beastars

Alt Names: alt ビースターズ
Author: Itagaki Paru
Artist: Itagaki Paru
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In a world populated by anthropomorphic animals, herbivores and carnivores coexist with each other. For the adolescences of the Cherryton School, school life is filled with hope, romance, distrust, and uneasiness.

The main character is Legosi the wolf, a member of the drama club. Despite his menacing appearance, he has a very gentle heart. Throughout most of his life, he has always been an object of fear and hatred by other animals, and he's been quite accustomed to that lifestyle. But soon, he finds himself becoming more involved with his fellow classmates who have their own share of insecurities and finds his life in school changing slowly.
Go to Beastars Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic alright, so....the murder. who done it? New Window Cautionary_Tale
  • 9 Replies
Topic Beastars Chapter discussions New Window truepurple
  • 11 Replies
Topic Thus, I reviewed Beastars New Window Swifft
  • 3 Replies
Topic So, I need help understanding what the title of Beastar really means New Window angelusalvus
  • 4 Replies
Topic Herbivores, carnivores, the other meanings. appetites, and how it plays out. New Window truepurple
  • 7 Replies
Topic Real nature doesn't work like this. New Window truepurple
  • 7 Replies

783 Comments

This manga, and the guy behind it

I'm pretty sure that author is a woman.
Maybe even into BL a bit :D
(LouisxLegosi scenes were something, and now that hug on stage!)

I wonder if we'll be meeting the owner of that reptilian eye on page 14 of the latest chapter soon. I somehow missed it on first reading despite being the focus in those two panels.

The sense of restrained savage instict (barely) papered over with civilized conduct running through nearly every interaction between the herbivores and carnivores is palpable. It's like every single panel has ゴゴゴゴ and ざわざわ running through it. At the very least, the mangaka deserves props for setting up such an accomplished atmosphere.

He also shows a finetuned sense for developing characters and utilizing their byplay to establish the overarching narrative. In these latest 4 short chapters, not only did he introduce and satisfactorily develop a new character with little monologue/dialogue to do so, but his entrance brought further nuance to more familiar faces simply by proxy. The culmination of the play, with Bill and Legosi's fight, was especially skillful. Not only was it intense and viscerally gripping (if not a little homoerotic), but it also directly played into the themes of all the major actors. Outstanding scene and writing.

5/5. Bravo. This manga, and the guy behind it, are quickly leaping heads and bounds up to the top of the list in quality.

I can't get over how good this manga is. The writing for Louis, portraying him as such a layered and nuanced character is amazing. His "don't break down" aside to himself in the hospital bed when he started to show some cracks was so rough and Bill, within 2 chapters, went from a side mook to an interesting foil for Legosi and someone who actually got him to show some emotion. It also shows what incredible pressure being a carnivore can place on you as well as what Bill feels he has to live up to.

Also fuck this manga. I spent 30 years of my life not being a furry and now some of these shots of Legosi and Louis are making me feel uncomfortable things.

WTF, people. Stop looking for something the author copied.

Anthropomorphic animals existed in comics way before Zootopia or Beast Complex or something. It's called furries.

See Sabrina Online, for example.

Or just one webcomic : http://www.kevinandkell.com/ which runs daily since 1995.

With a male rabbit being in a relationship with a female wolf...

It's exactly the same kind of world than Beastar. With the coexistence of herbivores and carnivores in the same society. Except in there, being devoured on the way to work, or at work, is a normal occurrence.. or even working at keeping the herds thin is a job in itself.

But it's also a comic about tolerance, with interspecies marriages and hybridation.

Forget Zootopia. It's probably them who copied older works.

Next few chapters...  

Read it. Very good. And I feel even stronger that this was based off Zootopia, maybe a trailer like you said. Sure, other anthropomorphic beast comics (not many though) but how many of those play up the herbivore and carnivore aspect and sort of, but not quite, giving it a bit of racism, like that.

Plus

Spoiler

that was intense!

This masterpice deserves no less than 5 stars.

Oh my, Legosiiiiiiiii!!!!!!! Why you have to be that cool damn it!!!!! He is much more handsome than any of shounen MC out there!!!!! Oh and incredibly cooler than any shoujo male protagonist!!!!!

Huh... I wonder if Louis is trying to influence Legosi so that he can take over the main role? Hmmm....

I wonder if this comic was inspired by Zootopia or pre-dates it. If it came out in japan after that movie, I can't help but think it was inspired by it. Well not read it yet, going to now. (Zootopia is a awesome movie!)

The first oneshot came out on March 3rd 2016. Zootopia was released in America the following day but Japan didn't get it till April 23rd 2016. Obviously the mangaka could have been inspired by Zootopia trailers which were released released the year before. But the idea of anthros isn't new *coughFURRIEScough* but this might have been a great strategy for the mangaka. If they had this idea in their portfolio for years, submitting the oneshot to a publishing company when the world is anticipating Disney anthros movie, would have boosted their reader ranking. Submitting it any other time might have made it 'gross' or 'that weird furry shit'.

I wonder if this comic was inspired by Zootopia or pre-dates it. If it came out in japan after that movie, I can't help but think it was inspired by it. Well not read it yet, going to now. (Zootopia is a awesome movie!)

After this comic, i felt ready to be a member of furry society!

Oh my... how did I miss that one until now?

The internal monologue of Legosi is always so tense.

This manga always gives the feeling that all hell is going to break loose any minute.

I guess it's meant to portray the forces that run deep in this society.

A society where everyone is forced to repress their instinct but it still seeps out in their life.

Louis hates being a weak herbivore, that can never measure up to a predator.

Legosi hates being unable to suppress his urge to kill and devour.

The rabbit can't help but be a prey.

And the dog can't help but follow the pack leader he senses in Legosi.

Wow I'm blown away by this. I didn't read it till now cause it didn't really pique my interest but I'm so glad I did. Can't wait to read more I'm hooked.

Somehow manages to pack more nuance, personality, and emotional impact into 12 short chapters than most manga can manage in 40. Truly excellent stuff.

Also

Spoiler

Yeah,

Spoiler

Getting even better.

It got us to feel bad for Louis. That's damn good.

Getting even better.

it's finally time for legosi to be on stage ...

Call me slow, but only now, after reading chapter 10, I get the meaning of this manga title.
Also

Spoiler

It was explained in chapter 6, it sort of meants "the one in the spotlight".

That seems to be a major point in the story since Legosi was friends with the herbivore that was murdered in the beginning but people suspected him since he's A. a wolf and B. was close to him.  

Now what I think will happen is that Legosi will become the beastar. How he would go about this and such I don't actually know, but that's my guess that I'm throwing out there, but it just seems like that kind of story. Especially with him as a wolf fighting back his urge for so many years, and even getting an herbivore friend which in the setting is seen as either rare/extremely uncommon, so we know he's understanding of others but he's very passive because he's afraid of what will happen.

Pretty sure that he is going to play adler  the next time, but i could be wrong.

It must be sucks to be carnivore in that world, you have the power but that power itself is a liability and a mean to antagonize you if something go wrong mmm...

That seems to be a major point in the story since Legosi was friends with the herbivore that was murdered in the beginning but people suspected him since he's A. a wolf and B. was close to him.  

Now what I think will happen is that Legosi will become the beastar. How he would go about this and such I don't actually know, but that's my guess that I'm throwing out there, but it just seems like that kind of story. Especially with him as a wolf fighting back his urge for so many years, and even getting an herbivore friend which in the setting is seen as either rare/extremely uncommon, so we know he's understanding of others but he's very passive because he's afraid of what will happen.

It must be sucks to be carnivore in that world, you have the power but that power itself is a liability and a mean to antagonize you if something go wrong mmm...

These 3 chapters are intense especially chapter 11. I'm really curious about Louis now, I can't help but want to know about his past

Also, I found Legosi wearing headphone looks funny, maybe because it kinda remind me of this meme about the correct way to wear glasses or using telephone for furry.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics