Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.68 - 169votes)

Gunka no Baltzar

Alt Names: alt Baltzar Militarismusalt Bernd Balzeralt 軍靴のバルツァーalt Gunka no Baltzeralt Gunka no Balzer
Author: Nakajima Michitsune
Artist: Nakajima Michitsune
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalSchool Life School LifeSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Glory is won over the roar of cannon fire. Peace exists simply as a time to prepare for the next battle. In a nation with superb military power, Bernd Baltzar advanced quickly through the ranks. However, his career now takes a sudden turn when he is reassigned to being the military advisor in a neighboring allied nation with little military power and a lack of civilian support of firearms. Will Major Baltzar be able to win the hearts and minds of both the soldiers and civilians in this country?
Go to Gunka no Baltzar Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

290 Comments

The manga is pretty good and all, but somehow the characters are too... Japanese in manner and stuffs lol. Archaic, innert and over-dramatic. Hard to imagine they are European at all, let alone German. Or maybe just my notion of European? (No offense intended).

I think its safe to say the setting is parallel to Europe in 1860s, prior to the French-Prussian war of 1870. Note the German needle rifle which suppose to be Weiber's. The bayonet of those days were not a short dagger like modern one, though. It's either in tube form, or in long blade, otherwise it would be useless against cavalry.

However, the people of Baselland seem to be incredibly .... under-developped, in many ways. The light infantry tactic, i.e crouching and sniping practice, for feck sake, its already popular since 1790s, the Prussian themself were pretty good at this. Perhaps the author want to make a sharp contrast of between Prussian/Weiber and Baselland (Wuttemberg? Bavaria? Westphalia?).

Maybe the author got insiration from the history of Japan. At the 19th century they were totally overpowered by western technology.
Countries in the Europe too were not equally developed,. Though I have to admit, that the contrast is exaggerated.
The manga is pretty good and all, but somehow the characters are too... Japanese in manner and stuffs lol. Archaic, innert and over-dramatic. Hard to imagine they are European at all, let alone German. Or maybe just my notion of European? (No offense intended).

I think its safe to say the setting is parallel to Europe in 1860s, prior to the French-Prussian war of 1870. Note the German needle rifle which suppose to be Weiber's. The bayonet of those days were not a short dagger like modern one, though. It's either in tube form, or in long blade, otherwise it would be useless against cavalry.

However, the people of Baselland seem to be incredibly .... under-developped, in many ways. The light infantry tactic, i.e crouching and sniping practice, for feck sake, its already popular since 1790s, the Prussian themself were pretty good at this. Perhaps the author want to make a sharp contrast of between Prussian/Weiber and Baselland (Wuttemberg? Bavaria? Westphalia?).
I honestly feel for the main character: being judged by people that have never seen the elephant.

Feels bad man.
Odd but make me curious and cause me did some research
The Pointy Helmet in ch01 page 5 & 6.
Never seen a soldier with Pointy Helmet before

German soldier really did wear them in the past
I checked about the pointy helmet on Wikipedia. It says German soldiers wear them during WW1
I just noticed... Thomas Rinke should be Thomas Linke.. don't know if its a fault from the author or from the translators.. and i think choosing names from footballers is a good idea as an insider joke and also for using real german names.. in some other mangas where german characters appear they have really weird names..
Seems like the author has done his research and thus far it's been an interesting and enjoyable read with a lot of potential.

As for the football names, as I don't follow football I didn't catch that but it seems possible that he did it on purpose as a joke, an "ah I see what you did there" for his readers but it certainly doesn't take anything away from the story.
Obtaining names from football player!?
...I don't know what to say...

A smart way to obtain a German names?
or rather the author is just lazy
The military school's pupils are named after german football players? Marcel Jans(s)en, Paul Breitner.. Dieter Strunz and Thomas Rinke (he switched the first names here)... well i guess there will be more? At least a way to come up with authentic german names... altough they're not really fitting for 1800..
The technology is around Napoleon era, Year 1800.
Looks like a good tactical manga.
Where heroes do fall if they charging in foolishly
Following this (click)

Spoiler
This is a pretty cool series. It's definitely not like anything else I've read. I really enjoy manga with a focus on military tactics rather than some ridiculously overpowered fool who crushes entire armies with retard strength.
so cool *-----------------------*
Yes this is good and lets hope this doesn't become another valkyria chronicles.
Artillery,rifles and cavalry in mid19th are unusual in manga. Hope it won`t turn in another valkyria chronicles,where total noobs with single tank managed to beat regular army.
author will release 1 volume in 6 months
egscan will release 1 chapter in 1 month
This is fairly interesting and the author seems skilled in every field.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics