Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.56 - 225votes)

Isekai Yakkyoku

Alt Names: alt 異世界薬局alt Different World Pharmacyalt 이세계 약국alt Parallel World Pharmacy
Author: Takayama Liz
Artist: Koya Hijiri
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalMedical MedicalMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: A young pharmacologist and researcher in Japan died from overworking, and was reincarnated in a Medieval Parallel Europe.

He was reincarnated as a 10-year-old apprentice to a famous Royal Court pharmacist, had attained an inhuman skills of ability to see through disease, material creation, and material destruction.

In a society in which dubious medical practice are rampant, price gouging thru the monopoly of the pharmacist guild, and good medicine aren't available to the commoners.

He was recognized by the Emperor at that time and opened a Pharmacy at the corner of the town.

He will wipe out the fraud that has swept the world, and deliver to the commoners a truly effective medicine that was developed using present day pharmacology.

Thus the boy pharmacist will cheat by using his previous knowledge to create innovative medicines while helping the people of the parallel world, a story about living his new life to the fullest this time.

The popular web novel now comes in manga form, available in raw at:

http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF00000031010000_68/
Go to Isekai Yakkyoku Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Light Novel New Window iovis
  • 1 Replies
Topic Raw Manga New Window hiiro
  • 0 Replies

371 Comments

Hm, so the artist did omit his shadow in all the panels where Ellen has hers, which is a nice touch...

Though he clearly forgot about that detail in the first chapter:

Spoiler

Some of us happen to enjoy the OP power fantasy. I have enough challenges in my own life; I sure don't need them in my escapism. 

The problem is that the premise of the story is supposed to be technical, since it is explicitly said he is a scientist and is to "use his knowledge" of the pharmacology from his past life. And the basis of any technical/scientific isekai is that the person is armed with his "knowledge," and uses the "knowledge" to change the world. Part through experimentation and part thinking through problems with new mindset - none of which is because he have an IMBA power.

If they wanted a non-technical isekai, just make him a delivery boy or white collar worker, no need to spat out a technical setting only to squander it with unnecessary god powers. Overlord and New Gate is good because they make no effort to emphasis "otherworldly knowledge" and the technical skills.

But for technical (however mild) premise isekais, like Mushoku Tensei, Jin, or even Isekai Tensei Soudouki, we like to see their knowledge at work within the limitations of the world. Heck its even the case with Fullmetal Alchemist, just think how unentertaining it would be if Edward Elric operated out of the logic of the world from day one, not having to follow the laws set by the setting for alchemy.

In short, if they plan to make a OP fantasy isekai, don't base it on a technical premise, especially one as technical as pharmacology. Even without the powers; there are still world changing drugs he can discover, to name a few from my previous post:

1. Penicillin (Although I wonder how he will perform the purification process, maybe another paper chromatography like in Jin? Although the big assumption is that the mold is also present in a fantasy world and also assumed to be able to make the antibiotic)

2. Opioid Analgesics (Yes, Morphine needs to exist in the world, its one of the major drugs; Although I doubt they need him to as much discover it as much as purify it; because lets face it, people knew opium was good stuff before they even bothered to isolate the morphine component)

3. Nitroglycerin (Ahaha, this is probably one I look forward to if the author include it; the raw material isn't as difficult to obtain as phenol for acetaminophen, but the implications are beyond just medicine)

So true (especially about Mary Sue mc). They don't seem to understand that exceptionally OP characters kill all the thrill and basically make story boring as hell ( I remember reading Mahouka only to stop it after understanding that our protagonist is in god mode by default and any "amazing" guy is as insignificant as ant when he challenges him. )

Some people like the thrill when an OP character actually fights seriously against an opponent worthy of his might.

Mahouka is kinda meh though since I think nobody would even dare hold a candle against Tatsuya (Even he stated that he could wipe out his Aunt easily, but does not do it since someone might replace her), a god who can delete people with one hand and resurrect people with the other, has omniscient vision, and has a slightly less powerful sister.

God darn it, even in the fantasy world, the Medicis still dominate the world... Why can't they have true doc families, but rather that evil Florentine banking conglomerate?

This one's actually pretty good, though the synopsis they have is pretty bad, he isn't all powerful with his op powers, he can't just cure cancer all willy nilly. He can only make things he understands (which is a lot, but not everything, and the more complex it is the harder it becomes).

Having read what's translated of the LN/WN, this one is more similar to Death March where the MC tests stuff and tries to help the world (though this one focuses almost entirely on helping the people of the world with medical means, rather than op power like in Death March), the big difference being that this is not a battle manga/WN. Of the recent isekai's I think this is one of the better ones. Here's the novelupdates of the LN if anyone wants to give it a read.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/parallel-world-pharmacy/?pg=1

Also, his father and the other doctors aren't nearly as big of dicks as they seem at first (with the exception of some that will come a bit later)

So true (especially about Mary Sue mc). They don't seem to understand that exceptionally OP characters kill all the thrill and basically make story boring as hell ( I remember reading Mahouka only to stop it after understanding that our protagonist is in god mode by default and any "amazing" guy is as insignificant as ant when he challenges him. )

Some of us happen to enjoy the OP power fantasy. I have enough challenges in my own life; I sure don't need them in my escapism. 

Suddenly all the OP powers

Lobsang?! o_O

Ahh! A fan of the Long Earth series. That's sorta an Isekai too... in its own way

God darn it, even in the fantasy world, the Medicis still dominate the world... Why can't they have true doc families, but rather that evil Florentine banking conglomerate?

p.s. I still find this isekai kinda fuzzy in logic, so will need the next chapter to see what the author do with the setting. Because atm, the protag seems more godly OP than normal (magical diagnosis AND magical creation), and I am starting to doubt the premise will have any major benefit since his "powers" seemed to be exceeding his need for his "knowledge."

Just the diagnostic powers alone can probably outweigh any former knowledge he need, since it basically allows for him to "cure cancer" with or without medicine. Since even in the modern world, the only cause of poor prognosis by cancer is really the poor diagnostic tests - Prostate cancer kills because it is difficult to detect even with digital rectal exams until it becomes nigh malignant, breast cancer kills because by the time it can be picked up in mammography and fingers, the chance of it being infiltrative is high. If he can catch the cancer before they are any more than a handful of cells, there is no cancer he can't cure, since he can basically just stab a needle to "cut out" (aspirate) the cancerous cells.

On the other hand, magic creation of any formula he needs just zapped out any form of experimentation, since he can create any drug he want on demand... This power is what I'd hate in any isekai series, because it take out the true joy of having the knowledge, you find ways "within the world's limitations" to create what you need. (If medicine wise, I would say Jin would be a good example of what is done well; what efforts needed to synthesize and purify penicillin in times before the sciences developed, what efforts needed to design medical instruments without precision machinery, etc. etc.) 

In short, his knowledge of pharmacology is quickly becoming a mere backdrop of all his superhuman powers...

p.p.s. From the 2 chapters so far, I am disgusted at how the author simply squandered such awesome material by introducing ungodly powers. The protagonist probably won't even use it to his full potential, since if he can create anything to which there is formula, he may've well just create a clump of purified plutonium and rule the world - since honestly, the hard part of making a nuke is in the purification of the material anyways.

p.p.p.s.

"He will wipe out the fraud that has swept the world, and deliver to the commoners a truly effective medicine that was developed using present day pharmacology."

The synopsis *facepalm*... With his powers, he isn't delivering any truly effective medicine if he isn't creating it within the limitations of the world, since once he eventually dies (presumably), he won't technically be making any magical penicillin anymore... And the magical pills he made will be exhausted. And if he can use the technology of the world to manufacture his pills, his powers to synthesize the pills directly are redundant anyways.

"Thus the boy pharmacist will cheat by using his previous knowledge to create innovative medicines while helping the people of the parallel world, a story about living his new life to the fullest this time."

And he is probably going to cheat more with his OP creation and diagnostic powers than any knowledge he really have... 

Lobsang?! o_O

Anyway, I am quite curious about which author started this misbegotten fad. I am of mind to both congratulate and kill them. :U

If i have to take a guess, it would be Mushoku Tensei, since its the best selling WN turned LN with Isekai as the theme

well after isekai theme became popular there more and more ppl just keep joining the flow and the snowball has now became unstoppable. i believe majority of the wn were mostly isekais, followed by VRMMOs... 

Theres nothing wrong with Isekai as a theme, but the problem with Japan is that most of their Isekai stories that have been adapted into manga are just shameless ripoffs of each other.Arifureta is a shameless ripoff of Re:monster and Dungeon seeker for example.The other problem is that their Isekai stories break almost every rule of writing.1. Do not write a mary sue MC.2. Do not write unbelievable characters (like girls that fall in love with the MC forever even though he shows no interest in them)3. Do not write over the top villains (like the kind that kick puppies to let the reader know they are evil)4. No usage of plot devices/deus ex machina (like the MC being given godlike powers by a god)Japanese editors basically enforce no quality control so they dont point out these problems. Its basically an industry where stories worse than Twilight are the norm, not the exception. If you submitted a draft of some guy being reincarnated into a video game world and then he eats monsters to level up to any western publisher, there is NO way in hell it would get accepted. Not even for a children's book.I mean, it says a lot that there is literally only one Isekai manga without these problems (simply good taste for a duke's daughter), most of the others read like some guy's middle school fantasy where he dreams about being the most popular guy in school, except replace "school" with "fantasy world".(stories like drifters are technically Isekai, but the Isekai element is simply a different setting for a battle vs good and evil, its not about the MC exploring a fantasy world, the MC in Drifters just wants to fight another battle before he dies).

The other problem is that their Isekai stories break almost every rule of writing.
(...)
Japanese editors basically enforce no quality control so they dont point out these problems.

It's because they do break the rules that the genre is actually so popular. And Japanese editors simply know what the readers want to read. There's no point rewriting whole book for the sake of so called "rules of writing" if all you'll be left with is just a casual fantasy book with real world MC.

Both you and me, we are not the target group for them. It's for Japanese teenagers who love their Mary Sues and Garry Stues.

Theres nothing wrong with Isekai as a theme, but the problem with Japan is that most of their Isekai stories that have been adapted into manga are just shameless ripoffs of each other.

Arifureta is a shameless ripoff of Re:monster and Dungeon seeker for example.

As far as I know, Arifureta is older than dungeon seeker..

And there's also the fact that Arifureta is POPULAR among others with isekai genre, at least in Japan. Why would the publisher publish them if they won't be popular? They even adapted to manga..

There's no such a thing as 'rip-off' in literature, since they often get many similarities with other older works. Tensei slime is actually closer to Re:monster for me..

Theres nothing wrong with Isekai as a theme, but the problem with Japan is that most of their Isekai stories that have been adapted into manga are just shameless ripoffs of each other.

Arifureta is a shameless ripoff of Re:monster and Dungeon seeker for example.

The other problem is that their Isekai stories break almost every rule of writing.

1. Do not write a mary sue MC.

2. Do not write unbelievable characters (like girls that fall in love with the MC forever even though he shows no interest in them)

3. Do not write over the top villains (like the kind that kick puppies to let the reader know they are evil)

4. No usage of plot devices/deus ex machina (like the MC being given godlike powers by a god)

Japanese editors basically enforce no quality control so they dont point out these problems. Its basically an industry where stories worse than Twilight are the norm, not the exception. If you submitted a draft of some guy being reincarnated into a video game world and then he eats monsters to level up to any western publisher, there is NO way in hell it would get accepted. Not even for a children's book.

I mean, it says a lot that there is literally only one Isekai manga without these problems (simply good taste for a duke's daughter), most of the others read like some guy's middle school fantasy where he dreams about being the most popular guy in school, except replace "school" with "fantasy world".

(stories like drifters are technically Isekai, but the Isekai element is simply a different setting for a battle vs good and evil, its not about the MC exploring a fantasy world, the MC in Drifters just wants to fight another battle before he dies).

Lobsang?! o_O

Anyway, I am quite curious about which author started this misbegotten fad. I am of mind to both congratulate and kill them. :U

"Whisked away to another world" as a premise is old as dirt, just look at Jules Verne or many folk tales.  The current isekai fad, with their common tropes and tonality, would probably have started somewhat before "early" popular reincarnation isekai stories like Mushoku Tensei (2012) or Re:Monster (2011), helped by the likes of non-reincarnation isekai like Sword Art Online (2009).

yeah so many isekai story lately
is isekai story so popular in japan atm?

People like escapism stories.

Let us not forget the glory that is "Reborn as a vending machine"

Lobsang?! o_O

isekai theme is more or less the easiest setting that turns an ordinary mc and into anything, be it OP or still ordinary but clever with original world knowledge... plus the new world can be very flexible too

probably theres some untranslated ones if u look hard enough in the narou site, ive seen reincarnations into monster, creature, plant, skeleton, wisp and even sword, dungeon, facility, air, mana.... so sea/underwater based should exist somewhere

Let us not forget the glory that is "Reborn as a vending machine"

Weren't the Medici an Italian family?

Yes but Catherine de' Medici is called queen mother of France for a reason.

May or may not be, but reading the light novel, most of the other naming and even location references are heavily French.

An isekai where the MC isn't a self-loathing hikkimori and actually had things to accomplish before he died?

Begrudgingly followed.

yeah so many isekai story lately

is isekai story so popular in japan atm?

isekai theme is more or less the easiest setting that turns an ordinary mc and into anything, be it OP or still ordinary but clever with original world knowledge... plus the new world can be very flexible too

So many Isekai thingy...

Is there any Isekai where the MC reincarnates to some kind of fish and goes to adventure to the deep sea finding dark and monstrous creatures like echo the dolphin style? lul....

Well I'll not be suprised if there's already isekai story like that....

probably theres some untranslated ones if u look hard enough in the narou site, ive seen reincarnations into monster, creature, plant, skeleton, wisp and even sword, dungeon, facility, air, mana.... so sea/underwater based should exist somewhere

I agree. While fantasy, it is still heavily French-based.

Vending machine... wh...what? Which one is this?

"reincarnated into a vending machine" Yeah, seriously thats the title.

Btw MC was a vending machine maniac and when he saw a vending machine flying at him he ran to intercept it so he could "save" it. He turned into paste and reincarnated after that.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics