Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 256votes)

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Alt Names: alt Blade of Demon Destructionalt Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaibaalt 鬼灭之刃alt 鬼滅の刃alt 귀멸의 칼날
Author: Gotouge Koyoharu
Artist: Gotouge Koyoharu
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalMartial Arts Martial ArtsShounen ShounenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Tanjiro is the eldest son in a family that has lost its father. Tanjiro visits another town one day to sell charcoal, but ends up staying the night at someone else's house instead of going home because of a rumor about a demon that stalks a nearby mountain at night. When he goes home the next day, tragedy is waiting for him.
Go to Kimetsu no Yaiba Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic like the story and concept, but.... New Window makuta2
  • 1 Replies
Topic We love him because he says we aren't trash New Window truepurple
  • 4 Replies
Topic Released chapter discussion, Kimetsu no Yaiba New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies
Topic Chapter 72 New Window hunterxhuntard
  • 0 Replies
Topic I reviewed chapter 71 of Kimestu no Yaiba New Window hunterxhuntard
  • 0 Replies
Topic What I'd want to say to manga bad guy logic. New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies

738 Comments

tanjirou gonna turn out like this

Spoiler

Cover of Issue 7. 

C18_43kUoAAp4UN.jpg

KQm16Fd.png

I was hoping he would keep using an axe as a weapon.

Finally Jump noticed this gem and giving it a push. Hope it gets a recognition and maybe an anime too.

So, butterfly girl from the final exam might be related to pillar butterfly girl?

OMG. Loli Nezuko is so freakin' cute!

group elite: hmm i just got promoted to elite so now i must upgrade my Look™ someone call vogue

Wouldn't it be better to just call Araki? I mean he's right there in Japan.

group elite: hmm i just got promoted to elite so now i must upgrade my Look™ someone call vogue

s88ZUpE.jpg

That's a good face.

Also, hey there new characters. The "strong fighters", huh?

already liking this guy, I don't hate Tomioka hahahaa 

Most Japanese have dark hair so white, blond, orange, etc is usually due to hair dyeing, and in Japan hair dyeing is usualy seen as a sign of being a delinquent... in fiction, those who naturally have those colors might be seen as delinquents.

Or being a foreigner or some kind of mutant or some other racist/sexist/non-human stereotype.

s88ZUpE.jpg

That's a good face.

Also, hey there new characters. The "strong fighters", huh?

I didn't get the last joke of the extra, what was with the black and white hair??

Most Japanese have dark hair so white, blond, orange, etc is usually due to hair dyeing, and in Japan hair dyeing is usualy seen as a sign of being a delinquent... in fiction, those who naturally have those colors might be seen as delinquents.

I didn't get the last joke of the extra, what was with the black and white hair??

i'm guessing his hair isn't black, and students aren't allowed to dye their hair

He's both wrong and right. He's right that the flashback are being poorly implemented by the author nothing will change this fact they are bad. Bad flashbacks are bad but it doesn't matter where the flashback happen but it why they happen. Flashbacks happening after a conflict usually for they dying/losing party are meant humanize or redeem that character and provoke empathy from the reader. An example of this being done very right would be the series, Magician, with the flashback that occurs after Edermask and Co. faces off against the "Demon" ​sealed under the mountain. The flashbacks in this story don't really do that they just provide some back story which can be summed up as "That character was a weak-minded little shit that gave into evil/corruption for x reason."  Oh how could we have ever guessed.

Rui was physically weak and tricked into turning into a demon, he/she didn't become Evil just instantly, and it came at the cost of his/her memories... and as zetina said, we already saw what happen when the flashback occur during the fight.

Certainly nothing wrong with giving us emotion. But if we had the flashback while Tanjiro was fighting Rui, rather than after Rui is already bleeding on the ground and lamenting the past, it would have given us a larger emotional stock in the outcome of the fight. From a story-telling perspective, the impact of the flashback is lessened when we are no longer invested in the undetermined outcome of the character.

Maybe because they aren't those people until they're dying. Let's picture "Here's the backstory. But forget that for a moment because this being is just evil now. Or, remember it while they don't remember and bitc* because that's trying too hard to manipulate emotions and it's transparent."

Flashbacks because they finally remember who they are, that's just fine I think.

Certainly nothing wrong with giving us emotion. But if we had the flashback while Tanjiro was fighting Rui, rather than after Rui is already bleeding on the ground and lamenting the past, it would have given us a larger emotional stock in the outcome of the fight. From a story-telling perspective, the impact of the flashback is lessened when we are no longer invested in the undetermined outcome of the character.

thats a fair statement tbh

I get the impression that you don't prefer this kind of storytelling, which is fine because everyone has their own preference.

Actually, the mangaka has been using this kind of storytelling since Tanjirou's early fight with the demon.
This kind of pattern is clearly a common occurence in this manga:
Demon's dying -> Demon's flashback -> Tanjiro smelling the demon's sadness -> Tanjiro comforting the demon in their last breath.

If you didn't like Rui's (and other demons') flashback, I honestly think that this manga is not for you.

He's both wrong and right. He's right that the flashback are being poorly implemented by the author nothing will change this fact they are bad. Bad flashbacks are bad but it doesn't matter where the flashback happen but it why they happen. Flashbacks happening after a conflict usually for they dying/losing party are meant humanize or redeem that character and provoke empathy from the reader. An example of this being done very right would be the series, Magician, with the flashback that occurs after Edermask and Co. faces off against the "Demon" ​sealed under the mountain. The flashbacks in this story don't really do that they just provide some back story which can be summed up as "That character was a weak-minded little shit that gave into evil/corruption for x reason."  Oh how could we have ever guessed.

I get the impression that you don't prefer this kind of storytelling, which is fine because everyone has their own preference.

Actually, the mangaka has been using this kind of storytelling since Tanjirou's early fight with the demon.
This kind of pattern is clearly a common occurence in this manga:
Demon's dying -> Demon's flashback -> Tanjiro smelling the demon's sadness -> Tanjiro comforting the demon in their last breath.

If you didn't like Rui's (and other demons') flashback, I honestly think that this manga is not for you.

there would be risk of breaking up the flow of the battle too, i think. also flashbacks during the fight would mean that Rui would be affected by said memories, right? It's not really uncommon to place a brief flashback like this. the purpose isn't to affect the fight but rather to get across the sadness that Tanjirou feels from Rui's body. i certainly felt it. that my 2 cents but who kno what would have been better.

speaking of
can i just say how much i love Tanjirou's attitude towards demons. he doesn't go around forgiving them and being a pacifist - he kills them but he also sympathizes with them and i find that kinda beautiful.

I for one actually like the flashbacks of the demons, it shows that these were once people, its not portraying these individuals as mindless monsters but rather sorrowful beings. What is it so wrong for a story to have emotion instead of crappy cliche's?

I for one actually like the flashbacks of the demons, it shows that these were once people, its not portraying these individuals as mindless monsters but rather sorrowful beings. What is it so wrong for a story to have emotion instead of crappy cliche's?

Ugh flashback next week...
No, I don't care why Rui decided to create a fake spider family. Rui is not a character that interests me enough for a flashback. The sister-demon had a far more interesting personality. She was actually rather un-demonlike it seemed up until those last few moments.
Oh well...
It's not enough to make me drop this of course, but I've never understood giving flashbacks to characters who are actually in the process of dying. Giving a flashback before the fight would heighten the stakes so much further because then we get our emotions torn as we decide who to root for.

I for one think that a proper flashback serves as a world building tool. While its often used as a way to explore a character's past and, as you said, to empathize with a certain character, I wouldn't consider a flashback to be "good" unless it provided something new. The introduction of a new character or concept, or perhaps showing us the motivation behind an old one. In order to keep the story flowing relatively smoothly and not have random exposition every chapter to explain things, flashbacks are a good medium. That being said, they can last too long, as I'm sure anyone who has read Naruto can attest to.

Ugh flashback next week...

No, I don't care why Rui decided to create a fake spider family. Rui is not a character that interests me enough for a flashback. The sister-demon had a far more interesting personality. She was actually rather un-demonlike it seemed up until those last few moments.

Oh well...

It's not enough to make me drop this of course, but I've never understood giving flashbacks to characters who are actually in the process of dying. Giving a flashback before the fight would heighten the stakes so much further because then we get our emotions torn as we decide who to root for. 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics