Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 123votes)

Otonari Complex

Alt Names: alt おとなりコンプレックスalt 伪郎隔壁是伪娘alt Childhood friend Complexalt 이웃 컴플렉스alt Komşu Kompleksalt Kompleks sąsiada
Author: Nonomura Saku
Artist: Nonomura Saku
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kuji Akira and Ninomiya Makoto have been neighbours and friends from childhood. Akira is handsome and Makoto is pretty but Akira's a girl and Makoto's a boy... Their feelings for each other are growing more complex just as they are finding themselves the focus of romantic interest of their friends and acquaintances.
Go to Otonari Complex Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Otonari Complex released chapter discussions New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies

163 Comments

The person who needs the services of a wingman the most: Makoto.

LOL the poor guy needs help. Not only does he have to fight off unwanted suitors but he's also got to contend with the fact his love interest is their greatest ally and the age old leading man's enemy - obliviousness (on the part of the female lead).

always remember to bring a contract boy. 

Spoiler

Also, Akira has blossomed into the ultimate wing-man.

They're so damn cute together!

Actually, his feelings about her not getting the shoes are a bit like mine sometimes with my wife.  See, I'm not young, and she's older than I am--but she's in good shape, slender and shapely.  She can totally get away with sexy clothes, but she always underestimates herself and goes more conservative--it's frustrating.  She'll be like "Oh, those are so lovely for somebody younger" and I'll be "You can pull that look off just fine!  Get them already I want to see you in that!"

tht was so wholesome it filled my heart up :)

Thank you! Do your best Makoto

I wonder if he will try to go out with Fumi-chan, in order to see how Akira reacts.

Akira is way too oblivious.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thank you!!⛅⛅

They're so damn cute together!

Actually, his feelings about her not getting the shoes are a bit like mine sometimes with my wife.  See, I'm not young, and she's older than I am--but she's in good shape, slender and shapely.  She can totally get away with sexy clothes, but she always underestimates herself and goes more conservative--it's frustrating.  She'll be like "Oh, those are so lovely for somebody younger" and I'll be "You can pull that look off just fine!  Get them already I want to see you in that!"

Well...

Spoiler

Spoiler
I felt a little sad when she ended not buying the shoes. :( I hope she buys them in secret on her own so she can enjoy them.

Spoiler

Well...

Spoiler

You know that you like a manga when at every new chapter you try to rate it and the rating numbers don't change. =\
Spoiler

That character of her really refreshing. Now what's next? A girl liking a Makoto? She's honest and cool-headed with what she feels, so if she does have feelings for Makoto, I wonder how she will face it ^^

...but those taglines in smallll font tho

Best friend or more, friendzone

...so... no romantic way out...? Not that it has to be but... hahaha

You're missing the original commentor's point,

Spoiler

Agreed. When I saw Makoto, I knew this girl must be a man/boy, and I think she/he design/draw the character very well, because it can be seen it's a boy. And I think, this is what you said about "unique charm". Yet with Akira, I do feel the same way as you said: draw a boy and call it a girl. 

Spoiler

Interesting. I'm now wondering if it wasn't that she might have thought she liked Seo, but she was unconsciously worried about Makoto/her safe place getting taken away by Seo, as unrealistic as it might seem to all involved.

I'm glad that the whole triangle thing doesn't seem to be a major factor yet. Right now I'm quite pleased.

I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks, amplified.

*melts*
Spoiler

Yeah, in this case; IRL I'd do that with coffee from a friend too.

Why?  I can see if you're in love doing the whole "she gave it to me so it is sacred and I shall eat/drink it all no matter what" thing, but if it's a friend, geeze, a friend doesn't care if I drink one cup or three, and she's not even there when I'm drinking it, and neither I nor the friend wants me to get a stomach ache, so . . . why?

Erm some girls aren't slender? Not all have long eyelashes? I think Akira's design is refreshing, and I enjoy the author's message that she isn't insecure about how she looks and that the guy likes her the way she is. Typical shoujos have too many makeover transformation scenes where hearts pound because the tomboy is suddenly stereotypically attractive. But here, Akira's "makeover" im the past failed and hilariously suited the guy instead but he still falls for her because she's herself. Whether she looks feminine or masculine, she's great because she's comfortable in her own skin.

You're missing the original commentor's point, which is the mangaka made a male character and slapped "female" onto the profile. Kashima, despite being drawn as an ikemen, has a unique charm in her characterisation that even fujoshis naturally think of her as female (although I'm speaking only of my experience.) In here, it feels forced and Akira is treated like atool by the mangaka.

Actually, I take back seeing Kashima as a female. Kashima is Kashima and transcends sex and gender better than Hideyoshi,

I think we've already had enough clues to say that's not what a friend did, it's what a crush did.  He likes her.

I am fully aware of this. But are they not friends as well?

Seo-kun has totally redeemed himself for me in this chapter. 

I know it's the point of the character, but Akira is too much "draw a boy call it a girl" for me. Almost all her physical features are masculine. It's really hard to see her as a girl. ...It's like I'm reading a BL instead (not that I mind).

At least with Kashima from Nozaki-kun you can see some feminine features (slender body, long eyelashes).

Erm some girls aren't slender? Not all have long eyelashes? I think Akira's design is refreshing, and I enjoy the author's message that she isn't insecure about how she looks and that the guy likes her the way she is. Typical shoujos have too many makeover transformation scenes where hearts pound because the tomboy is suddenly stereotypically attractive. But here, Akira's "makeover" im the past failed and hilariously suited the guy instead but he still falls for her because she's herself. Whether she looks feminine or masculine, she's great because she's comfortable in her own skin.
I know it's the point of the character, but Akira is too much "draw a boy call it a girl" for me. Almost all her physical features are masculine. It's really hard to see her as a girl. ...It's like I'm reading a BL instead (not that I mind). At least with Kashima from Nozaki-kun you can see some feminine features (slender body, long eyelashes).
Thank you amplified

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics