Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.68 - 79votes)

Palace Meidi

Alt Names: alt パレス・メイヂalt Palace Meiji
Author: Kuze Banko
Artist: Kuze Banko
Genres: Drama DramaHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceShoujo ShoujoSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In an alternate-universe Meiji era Japan, Misono Kimiyori, a fourteen year old boy from an impoverished noble family, begins to work in the Palace to alleviate his family's debts. There, he encounters the Girl Emperor, Akiko. This meeting is the start of an interesting new relationship.
Go to Palace Meidi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

62 Comments

"England's Third Prince, Prince Connaught"  Yo Author I like you but Connaught aint an English Given name it's the name of a Province in Ireland.  Just go with William man, maybe throw in a Richard or a Charles.

Or make Connaught the Surname to establish that in addition to there being a different Royal Dynasty of Japan that there's also been some Succession Wackiness going on in the rest of the World with Britain being formed by an Irish Dynasty instead of the Scottish House of Stuart.

Though the only ATL Ruling Dynasty of England I will personally accept is the Glorious House of Habsburg.

The problem isn't that Connaught isn't an English name, but that it isn't a German name. The royal family of England is nothing more but a side subsidary of the German royal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, which belongs to the House of Wittich.

Spoiler

Around 1841 Eduard VII [first House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha king] became the King of Britain, and reigned until his death 1910, which covers most of the Meiji era (1867-1912). Btw, his children had weird names stemming from German over French and Latin to Greek (everyone had 4 different names from different languages @.@), so maybe that name isn't that weird at all...

"England's Third Prince, Prince Connaught"  Yo Author I like you but Connaught aint an English Given name it's the name of a Province in Ireland.  Just go with William man, maybe throw in a Richard or a Charles.

Or make Connaught the Surname to establish that in addition to there being a different Royal Dynasty of Japan that there's also been some Succession Wackiness going on in the rest of the World with Britain being formed by an Irish Dynasty instead of the Scottish House of Stuart.

Though the only ATL Ruling Dynasty of England I will personally accept is the Glorious House of Habsburg.

We had thought he might be named after the Connaught Hotel in London. 

So far it is interesting, the characters are likable.

I just hope this doesn't turn into some of these melodramatic shoujo manga.

Kuze Banko is normally a josei mangaka, so she should keep the drama to a reasonable level. :) 

So far it is interesting, the characters are likable.

I just hope this doesn't turn into some of these melodramatic shoujo manga.

"England's Third Prince, Prince Connaught" Yo Author I like you but Connaught aint an English Given name it's the name of a Province in Ireland. Just go with William man, maybe throw in a Richard or a Charles.

I Connaught think of a better name for a Third Prince. Also who are you to say it Connaught be an English Given name?

Misono looked rather handsome in that last page!

This story is beautiful.

give me more chapters

you won't like when I'm angry

flying table flip

TUNCH ME MISONO!!!! 

Hah this man is quite comfortable with himself, he just realized that for 6 years his school "friends" let him win and he's cool as a cucumber.

Of course he is, he realises he's as much a prisoner of his position as they were, so he doesn't hold it against them.

On the contrary, he holds it against Misono that he doesn't do this.

What exactly is Miya's position? Is he a relative of the emperor or what?

The Miya family seems to go by the titles of Imperial Prince/Princess (内親王殿下/内親王) in chapter 5, so I think they are of royal blood, though I'm not sure how closely they are related to Akiko. He is probably in line for the throne if something happens to Akiko and her brother. So there's a reason she has to be polite to him.

What exactly is Miya's position? Is he a relative of the emperor or what?

misono go kill that fcker and wash his head in dat pond

Hah this man is quite comfortable with himself, he just realized that for 6 years his school "friends" let him win and he's cool as a cucumber.

*slams fists on desk* MORE!

Please.

*throws mug on the ground* serving wench! Bring me ANOTHER!!!

Please.

Oh cool a new chapter of Palace Meidi.

"Today the story occurs outside of the palace" 

UNFOLLOWED!!

Of course he didn't get it, ahhhh... 

I'm guessing Strike didn't mean the protagonist, but that meddling ex-fiance who thought he could disregard the rules and influence the state of the imperial court against his emperor's will, out of jealousy and possessiveness.

In hindsight, yeah that totally makes more sense lol.

Oh my God this is so cute. I can't wait for more.

thank you very much translator-sama. my humble gratitude cannot stand as same as your kindness.

*slams fists on desk* MORE!

Please.

This guy doesn't seem to understand that his words mean nothing in the palace of the emperor. And that the empress doesn't return his feelings.

This is a shoujo manga. The empress not returning his feelings is literally impossible.
I'm guessing Strike didn't mean the protagonist, but that meddling ex-fiance who thought he could disregard the rules and influence the state of the imperial court against his emperor's will, out of jealousy and possessiveness.

This guy doesn't seem to understand that his words mean nothing in the palace of the emperor. And that the empress doesn't return his feelings.

This is a shoujo manga. The empress not returning his feelings is literally impossible.

Akiko's children wouldn't necessarily have priority over her brother as it seems pretty clear that her Brother was the intended Emperor and she is just sort of serving as an intermediate step.  That's why it is assumed that once her Brother is of age she will abdicate the throne.  If she did abdicate and only then had a child, then her brother would have the stronger claim by virtue of actually being Emperor.  if it was Her children vs Her Brother's children then it gets a bit less certain but I would still put it on Her Brother's children having the stronger claim by virtue of Her Brother being the reigning Emperor, and his Children having been born while he was Emperor while Hers would have been born after She had retired.

This is backed up by The Empress of Japan article on Da Wiki which states that Reigning Empresses were generally succeeded by Issue from the Paternal Imperial Bloodline, IE; their Brothers.  I found two examples of an Empress being succeeded by her child in my cursory glance at the Empresses listed, and in both cases the Empress' husband was someone from the Imperial Family, either an Emperor in the case of Emperor Tenji, son of Empress Kōgyoku and Emperor Jomei, and an Imperial Prince in the case of Empress Genshō, daughter of Empress Gemmei and Prince Kusakabe.

All of that Said, this Kerfuffle is likely what they're trying to avoid entirely by making sure she never has kids to begin with.  Good luck with that since the last page of this chapter implies that Akiko and Misono are """"Enjoying their Privacy behind the Cedar Doors"""" to the max.

But still they're likely trying to avoid having to figure this out, because the situation is probably as confusing and uncertain for the characters in the story as it is for us readers trying to parse this out. ;)

TL:DR - Succession Laws and the Crises they cause are Shit.

Spoiler
But even so, I can undestand his feelings. Sometimes, you just want to help someone you admire, even if from a distance and even if only in some small way. 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics