Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 123votes)

Otonari Complex

Alt Names: alt おとなりコンプレックスalt 伪郎隔壁是伪娘alt Childhood friend Complexalt 이웃 컴플렉스alt Komşu Kompleksalt Kompleks sąsiada
Author: Nonomura Saku
Artist: Nonomura Saku
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kuji Akira and Ninomiya Makoto have been neighbours and friends from childhood. Akira is handsome and Makoto is pretty but Akira's a girl and Makoto's a boy... Their feelings for each other are growing more complex just as they are finding themselves the focus of romantic interest of their friends and acquaintances.
Go to Otonari Complex Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Otonari Complex released chapter discussions New Window truepurple
  • 0 Replies

163 Comments

Oh finally he made his intentions clear. About time.

I was hoping that Akira was taller than just 171 cm. Like, I get that that's tall for a girl in Japan, but that seems to be the "acceptable limit" for "tall" manga girls, and I was really, really hoping that she'd break the mold... Guess I'll never be a manga girl

On that note, I was looking through chapters, trying to see if they mentioned her height before in like an extra or something, and like, Akira looks much more like a boy in the earlier chapters. What a transition

*muffled excited screaming*

Only took 20 chapters for a confession. :)

Spoiler

Now that the love triangle between Akira, Makoto, and that girl is over. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new one with them and glasses guy.

*muffled excited screaming*

This guy is a complete ass but he has my gratitude for pushing the story along further.

Don't be angry at the only character that tries to move the plot

No kidding. Without some character bitchslapping the plot forward these two people don't stand a ghost of a chance. Akira is too dense to realize what Makoto really means to her and Makoto is too afraid of hurting the status quo and ruining things to make an actual move. It's like an inverse of the usual male female trope where the male protagonist is the blockhead and the girl is the one afraid to test the waters and settles for "normal"

Well given their appearances, I guess it's not that far from the norm. 

We just can't get rid of this girl, can we?

Don't be angry at the only character that tries to move the plot

And what amazes me is that people actually doubted that this was the case...

Alright, I forgive you, Fumi.

How have I missed this? It's good so far~

Akira, right?

I know! Enough is enough already!

Spoiler
Were I in her position, I'd be more scared of losing him because the relationship didn't work out. Fear of change can drive people to do lots of strange things.

The way i would want this to go is for Makoto to end the friendship and leave Akira. coz the way things are now Akira is taking Makoto for granted to some extent. Sure Akira either doesn't see Makoto in a romantic way or is just too dumb to realise that she does like him. I mean there are subtle hints that it might not just be friendship for Akira but barely. Makoto needs to do the whole 'you don't know what you've lost until it's gone' thing and just leave Akira. Because I doubt that Akira would understand if Makoto outright confessed. If Makoto doesn't confess then he just needs to make some kinda scene or something to get through Akira's thick skull. Also Makoto just needs to stop being so passive. Like what if that other guy actually liked Akira and they went out, would you just stay alone and regret your whole life only end up confessing on your deathbed?

Oh my god if this becomes one of those "romances" that happen just because someone feels obligated to return someone's feelings because they can't reject the other party, feel guilty, or are influenced by outside pressures, I'm going to kick someone

Akira... you are getting.... a tad bit.... ANNOYING. Ahem.

And that "rival girl" (pft, she admitted everything herself), WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU! What was Akira suppose to do? Huh? Leave you alone and go about her way despite the fact that you guy were once FRIENDS? Not only that, if you had noticed Akira and she didn't help you, I'm 100% sure there would be some sort of "See, I knew it. She's just pretending to be a goody-two shoes".  

DAMN... Some of the girls in this manga just... VEXES ME.

The best friend with the bob though, she the best. I like her.  

It's frustration.

Fumi is fuming (ha ha get it...) that her "rival" has won a prize she doesn't even want, claiming she never won it at all, then effectively telling her she is talking shite and THEN trying to be all chummy like that isn't spiting in her face.

Akira's the type who'd argue the sky is green if she believed it and then ask you why you're mad when you blow your fucking nut at her. 

Akira... you are getting.... a tad bit.... ANNOYING. Ahem.

And that "rival girl" (pft, she admitted everything herself), WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU! What was Akira suppose to do? Huh? Leave you alone and go about her way despite the fact that you guy were once FRIENDS? Not only that, if you had noticed Akira and she didn't help you, I'm 100% sure there would be some sort of "See, I knew it. She's just pretending to be a goody-two shoes".  

DAMN... Some of the girls in this manga just... VEXES ME.

The best friend with the bob though, she the best. I like her.  

I think you're overthinking the situation. Akira and Makoto are basically a brother and sister who get on well with each other despite being from different families. Akira is pretty straightforward and laid-back while Makoto is conflicted about others getting between him and his "sis", whether as friends or as romantic attachments.

I disagree.  Sure, Akira is not looking at Makoto that way.  But Makoto seems very clear that he does look at her that way, very consciously and deliberately, and is trying hard to jolt her out of her complacent mindset without alienating her.  He's been pretty explicit about it, although not to her.  He's not amazingly good at courting her, but it seems pretty definite that that is what he wants to do.

I think you're overthinking the situation. Akira and Makoto are basically a brother and sister who get on well with each other despite being from different families. Akira is pretty straightforward and laid-back while Makoto is conflicted about others getting between him and his "sis", whether as friends or as romantic attachments.

Since this is a manga there's pressure by the readers to ship them because they're the opposite sex main characters. I'd be very pleased if the writer can avoid that obvious trap (and yes I did use that word deliberately).

I don't really see it that way. Akira may have a disposition toward seeing them as siblings, at least on the surface or convincing herself so, but Makoto is clearly not in that camp. His feelings are almost always written on his face, and it looks nothing like sibling possessiveness. Pretty much everyone else in universe can see it, and Akira gets way too defensive when it's brought up to her. 

As for "avoiding that obvious trap" of pairing up the two leads, I would prepare for disappointment because I guarantee you this is not going to end any other way than them getting together. I don't think this story is up for breaking any real molds.

Apart from the initial twist of the first chapter, this turned to be another run-of-the-mill shoujo/romance manga. It's rather mediocre to be honest with generic characters and plot progression though. I will take my leave from this one, but the art is really nice.

I would agree that neither party has clearly defined romantic feelings, especially on Akira's side, but I think its very likely to head in that direction and not just because the characters are opposite genders. If the genre labeling is correct, it is tagged as romance, so naturally people are going to expect that.

"Romance" doesn't necessarily mean the two main characters are going to hook up, although it is the most common trope in manga and anime. It's quite early in this manga's storyline and some more characters have yet to appear in the translated version, but we already have fellow volleyball fan Seo-kun becoming friends (and only friends) with Akira while expressing a more-than-friendly attitude to "Sayaka" (aka a dressed-up Makoto) as well as the stalkerish Fumi-chan's long-held crush on white knight Makoto. What is very much NOT in evidence is any romantic connection between Akira and Makoto. It might develop in time, it might not (I vote for "not" but I don't actually get a vote...)

Since this is a manga there's pressure by the readers to ship them because they're the opposite sex main characters. I'd be very pleased if the writer can avoid that obvious trap (and yes I did use that word deliberately).

Well I did say "if" LOL. I would agree that neither party has clearly defined romantic feelings, especially on Akira's side, but I think its very likely to head in that direction and not just because the characters are opposite genders. If the genre labeling is correct, it is tagged as romance, so naturally people are going to expect that. Additionally, the story itself has made hints that way and the subjects of dating and liking someone are frequently featured. I think friendship is likely to have great significance in this story but I think it's unlikely to stay at just friends, not that a friendship story wouldn't be nice too.

My feeling is if Akira is acting ignorant of Makoto's feelings, it's for keeping the status quo not just between her and Makoto, but also between her and other female friends. My impression is that in the past she had a friend who either got hurt or became resentful because of Akira's relationship with Makoto, and as a result that friendship was lost. Now Akira probably walls off the idea of there ever being something romantic between her and Makoto so that she can feel secure in keeping all her friendships, never risking losing or hurting someone.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics